• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

Any Words of Wisdom on Smartphones?

#93102 2 years, 9 months ago
I think I'm finally going to dump our landline, and get myself a smart phone, but could use some help.
First, I'm wondering if anyone out there has ever regretted dumping their landline, any warnings or problems doing so? And I'm also looking for recommendations on what smartphone to get. I have Verizon, and am NOT an Apple person, so I'm thinking of getting something other than a iphone, but maybe I shouldn't automatically dismiss an iphone??

I'd really appreciate any and all thoughts, ideas, warnings and suggestions from you wise folks! Thanks!!
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

Re: Any Words of Wisdom on Smartphones?

#93106 2 years, 9 months ago
Well I love phones and your doing the right thing for sure. I could tell you a million reasons why your smartphone will be your best friend. I have sprint but Verizon has great phones also. I use a iPad so I choose not to have a iPhone cause it doesn't have flash. So the best is a droid. You should for sure get a droid. If you want the best you should look at the new razor. Make sure you get unlimited data on your plan. I wish I could take you to the store and help. It's so fun getting a new phone.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#93111 2 years, 9 months ago
I don't have Verizon but the rest of my family does and they all own the droid phones. I have cricket. I had Verizon but I just need unlimted everything for the best price. And I have an LG Android from them.

However if you are looking to get an iphone vs a droid I would probably go with a droid. Even though they all can't do as much as a regular computer it seems to me droids have more capability then an iphones. But i don't know I don't own an iphone only an ipad.

As far as dropping the landline I don't really have any words for that one. But I would say do it!
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
jaredlang
Platinum Boarder

#93112 2 years, 9 months ago
I'm afraid that one day in the not so distant future, smartphones and smartcars will team up and start using us humans for making calls and getting around (a la Planet of the Apes).
Standing on the moon with nothing left to do
A lovely view of heaven but I'd rather be with you
The following user(s) said Thank You: iraqistatefair
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#93113 2 years, 9 months ago
23atwell wrote:
Well I love phones and your doing the right thing for sure. I could tell you a million reasons why your smartphone will be your best friend. I have sprint but Verizon has great phones also. I use a iPad so I choose not to have a iPhone cause it doesn't have flash. So the best is a droid. You should for sure get a droid. If you want the best you should look at the new razor. Make sure you get unlimited data on your plan. I wish I could take you to the store and help. It's so fun getting a new phone.

Thanks for the input so far, I really appreciate it!! 23atwell, that reminds me of another question: is there any reason to try and do this online versus going to a Verizon store? One friend said to do it all on line, you're less likely to get screwed. But I need to change a phone number on my current cell so Mr. S can take it (he still calls them "star trek phones"), then get set up with a new phone for me, and that seems kind of complicated to try and do on line. Do the store folks tend to be helpful, or just out for a commission?
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#93114 2 years, 9 months ago
My brother who lives in Texas just traded in his iphone. I think the short battery life convinced him The thing just cannot hold a charge for several hours if you use it regularly (this was Iphone 3 I believe). This is his email to me (yesterday) if it helps.

I traded up to the Samsung galaxy s2 skyrocket
And love it .
I can watch Netflix,utube,search the web ,use as my camera etc. ect .

I highly recommend it .
150.00 devise with 2 yr. contract with att

And I can listen to the grateful dead all day on pandora for free

-- I don't know too much. No smartphone for me (yet). I use an ipod toouch when I can get wi fi. One day......
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
volare
Senior Boarder

#93115 2 years, 9 months ago
i have owned both iphones and an android based HTC. I probably would still be using the iphone if I hadn't switched carriers to T-mobile. That being said, if you don't have other Apple products, some of the advantages of the iphone, like auto-syncing and sharing files and apps between computer and phone won't matter as much to you.

I think the most important point to consider is determining which features you will actually use. It is easy to get caught up in the hype of a phone, but if you want it for phone calls, SMS, email and calender, there is no point shelling out the extra bucks for the dual-core processor, 1080p video cam, 3d gaming etc. version that they want to sell you. Then again, if you are heavy tech junkie, it may be worth it...

I gave up my land-line 10 years ago. I have never regretted it. Plus, I never get telemarketing calls!
The Sailor, coming out again, the lady fairly leapt at him.
That's how it stands today. You decide if he was wise.
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#93126 2 years, 9 months ago
My friend has a droid and loves it. Takes great pictures and video and has a bigger screen then most. If Sprint works good in your area then they probably have the cheapest unlimited plan if you are going to be a data hog I got an i pad recently and it's great for streaming but does not seem to be compatible with the furthur site to upload files and pictures. I still have a land line and never use is, not sure why I still have it
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#93129 2 years, 9 months ago
^^^ good points^^^ if your just making calls and simple tasks you dont a smart phone with a huge price tag im with sprint i use an lg slider and my wife has a samsung seek both text ,email surf the web have a basic camera.both cost nothing with the plan. i would go to the store and check out the phones ,hold themsee what feels good to you also ask to see the coverage area.some plans dont work in all areas ask about roaming fees and other add ons you dont have to buy that day they will pressure you but you can always walk out .the plans can get very pricey so you really need to decide what features you need and what you can afford first and go from there.good luck
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#93131 2 years, 9 months ago
SunshineSue wrote:
23atwell wrote:

Thanks for the input so far, I really appreciate it!! 23atwell, that reminds me of another question: is there any reason to try and do this online versus going to a Verizon store? One friend said to do it all on line, you're less likely to get screwed. But I need to change a phone number on my current cell so Mr. S can take it (he still calls them "star trek phones"), then get set up with a new phone for me, and that seems kind of complicated to try and do on line. Do the store folks tend to be helpful, or just out for a commission?

It depends if your up for a upgrade. If you are then should go in the store. There totally helpful. When getting screwed by a phone company it doesn't start with the people at the store or buying the phone. You get screwed from the billing and the contract. You want to see how many minutes you use a month so you can get the lowest plan.if you not up for a upgrade then buying the phone on eBay and other sites would be cheaper. I would go into the store and let them earn there money and show you how the phone works and everything. You want to try to get something free to from them like a case, a car charger and get a shield to cove the screen. Pluse then you get gd radio everywhere you go. And I put all of my iTunes on my phone.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds