• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

30 years ago today - the great puddling LONG

#92286 2 years, 11 months ago
30 years ago a dashing, handsome young fellla made his way to the Pittsburgh Civic Arena for his second Grateful Dead Concert. Allready a veteran of the bus... we made friends with these folks next to us in a beat up old mid 70's big car..with California plates. It turns out it was the "shudder" older couple early 30's or so to the best of my recollection. As we proceed with festivities this guy asks me if we are interested in any Liquid...I knew what he was talking about but had never actually seen or done it. Of course...so my friends and I proceed over to an area of Pine? Trees in front of the arena. Dropper comes out..he hooks up my 2 bros.. then its my turn.. and the friggin stopper came apart from the stem and spilled all over my hand. Aint no turnin back now... after about 20 minutes things began to get really "strange"... I still remember thinkin maybe I had to much to fast.... anyway we head in and in one of those you had to be there moments this cop is seriously frisking my one buddy. I'm like oh shit... anyway after what seemed like forever.. the cop said ok you can go to hiim....I'm like thank god lets get outta here.. he proceeds to turn to the cop and say "Why don't ya kiss me next time honey?'' I fuggin lost it, I was laughing so hard tears were pourin down my face. Not really sure what happened over the next 20 minutes or so..all I know is when I could formulate a thought again I find myself about 15 ft in front of where Jerry is about to start playing. and I l somehow lost both my friends. 16 yrs old d... to the fin gills all alone.. it was a lil intimadating/frightening/exciting all at the same time.

Out comes the band here is the set:

Grateful Dead
11/29/81 (Sun) Pittsburgh Civic Arena - Pittsburgh, PA

Set 1: Shakedown Street > Greatest Story Ever Told, Friend Of The Devil > CC Rider, Candyman, Me & My Uncle > Big River, Althea, Looks Like Rain, Might As Well

Set 2: Samson & Delilah, Ship of Fools, Lost Sailor > Saint Of Circumstance > He's Gone > Drums > Truckin' > Black Peter > Satisfaction, E: U.S. Blues

Bang Shakedown Street... to much to fast.... I am thinkin I may never regain my sanity I knew probably 1/2 the tunes at the time. Look out for the Candyman ...sets my paranoia off more... Might as well brought me out of my shell and then set break . Now wtf do I do. THANKFULLY in true "deadhead fashion" this older couple next to me could see my giant black basketballs and gave me an orange and tried to talk me down a lil. This other girl who was in front of me for the whole set (if you know what GA floors were like back in the day... we had a very close "relationship" before even saying a word to each other). I somehow stammered I lost my friends. She said don't worry I'll take ya home. In my youth & in that condition I thought I had just found the goddess of "life"... I mnean I was wayyyyyyyyyy up there... so anyway I am feelin a lil better..Sampson Ship of Fools Sailor>Saint I am dancing in very very close proximity to the nubile goddess all the while losin my mf mind. Then He's Gone... I did not know it .. but when they started singin He's gone ..nothins gonna bring em back.... I started losin my shit again.. I mean I'm 15 ft from these guys they are looking in my direction singin Nothins goin to bring him back. oooo I am escared!!!! Then Drums>Space... more "frightening" sounds....finally they break in to truckin after Bobbys whistle... never in my life has what a long strange trip its been ever been as relevant. At the time The Stones were still my fave band and when they went into Satisfaction all of a sudden I felt "everythings gonna be allright wohooo!). Post show still flying I follow her to her truck. I literally had NO clue where we parked or where my friends were..Damn if one of em doesn't walk right in front of the truck and I head back with him. Postscript: This show was on A sunday night I didn't sleep until Wednesday night..made for a few REAL interesting days at school. I ended up talking to the girl on the phone and ended up "visiting" her but she lived on entirely the other side of Pittsburgh about an hour away and we just sort of drifted apart. "Oh what a night, late november back in 81"
The following user(s) said Thank You: calliopewail
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

Re: 30 years ago today - the great puddling LONG

#92288 2 years, 11 months ago
Here it is..81 is way underated. Enjoy!

www.archive.org/details/gd1981-11-29.sbd.miller.108844.flac16
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#92355 2 years, 11 months ago
There's a really funny story about a guy who went to his first dead show, I think in like '79, and he narrates his story. If I can find it, I think you'd identify with him.... funniest short story I've ever read about first encounters with the long strange trip....
volare
Senior Boarder

#92356 2 years, 11 months ago
great story....so the effects were just from the liquid being spilled on your skin? Wow!
The Sailor, coming out again, the lady fairly leapt at him.
That's how it stands today. You decide if he was wise.
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#92358 2 years, 11 months ago
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re, volare
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#92377 2 years, 11 months ago
Thank lost sailor.. that writer was a lil more descriptive ...but spot on especially the "fear" part. I really thought for awhile I was heading to life on the funny farm. I was on the bus and loved my first show but this was the night that literally "changed my life".
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#92408 2 years, 11 months ago
Reminds me of one of my first shows in Shoreline '89. I couldn't take a step without feeling like I was lost in a cosmic freak storm. Standing there on the lawn arguing with myself as to whether I pissed my pants or not. Or just whipped it out and peed right there in front of everyone. But the worst part of all was the last part of set 1 and the first part of set 2 I swear the words and even the sound were backwards... slow motion backwards ... fuck I'll never forget that!! I'll just stick to my beers and bud these days!! Whoaa!! Thanks for your story that was a fun read ... brought back memories!!
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
PsychicPyramid
Junior Boarder
HEAVY VIBES

#92410 2 years, 11 months ago
ahahaha. Enjoyed the story man
Union Pacific, out of Cheyenne, from sea to shining sea
GreatestStoryEverTold
Expert Boarder

#92430 2 years, 11 months ago
greatest story ever told
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#92645 2 years, 11 months ago
Walk in the Sunshine wrote:
Thank lost sailor.. that writer was a lil more descriptive ...but spot on especially the "fear" part. I really thought for awhile I was heading to life on the funny farm. I was on the bus and loved my first show but this was the night that literally "changed my life".

I had a kid put a liberal amount of liquid in my palm for Deercreek, 92. It was my last show for that tour, I was flying home the next morning, after seeing about 12 shows, and this young kid (like 16) puddled me. I was 14th row in front and when we got to El Paso, I had to leave my seat and hit the lawn because I couldn't deal. And yeah, what I call cracked reality was letting in some alien things into my head that night.

And, of course, my designated driver who didnt' get in, was smoking crack or something, and at 2 a.m. decides she's too fucked up to drive and I was afraid the cops would come around soon to start booting us so I had to drive home. Scariest fucking night... and when we got to the camp site I was really freaked out and alone, I almost called my roommate back in FL to say I might die...
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds