• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder
Posts:6472

Re: Phil's Book-Searching for the Sound

#92039 2 years, 4 months ago
MushroomMan wrote:
I have the book but havn't read it yet. It's definitley on my to do list



my jaw is on the ground, there is no face for that one...

WHAT'RE YOU WAITING FOR!!!

the book changed my life i didn't put it down until it was done. i am a gigantic phil fan i've been playing bass for almost half of my life. he drew me toward the music. he has put me on my own quest to search for the sound. right when you think you're there, keep going, because you haven't even scratched the surface yet.

my mother obtained a signed copy for me for christmas many years ago, ever so thankful.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: doin_that_rag
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder
Posts:8079

Re: Phil's Book-Searching for the Sound

#92040 2 years, 4 months ago
well I finished Scully's book recently then went through the GD scrap book, I have this other cool book I started going through called Grateful Dead365 which has a lot of random insights from throughout their career. I got Phil's book when I was still reading Scully's - I'll start it soon, I've been wanting to.
Chester
Moderator
Posts:30635
More or less in line

Re: Phil's Book-Searching for the Sound

#92042 2 years, 4 months ago
wlewis wrote:
MushroomMan wrote:
I have the book but havn't read it yet. It's definitley on my to do list



my jaw is on the ground, there is no face for that one...

WHAT'RE YOU WAITING FOR!!!

the book changed my life i didn't put it down until it was done. i am a gigantic phil fan i've been playing bass for almost half of my life. he drew me toward the music. he has put me on my own quest to search for the sound. right when you think you're there, keep going, because you haven't even scratched the surface yet.

my mother obtained a signed copy for me for christmas many years ago, ever so thankful.


MushroomMan, start reading it. It's really good. I know you'll love it.

wlewis, wow! A signed copy. You mother is awesome to have done that for you. I wanted to go to one of the signings
but the closest one was in NYC. And I couldn't make it. I usually bring it with me to shows, hoping I'm going to run into
Phil and get him to sign it. But no luck yet.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
Posts:963
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

Re: Phil's Book-Searching for the Sound

#92045 2 years, 4 months ago
The audio version is a bit awkward. Phil trips over his own dense sentences a lot. Great fun, nonetheless.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?

It's dead and over when close enough is good enough.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis
wlewis
Platinum Boarder
Posts:6472

Re: Phil's Book-Searching for the Sound

#92046 2 years, 4 months ago
Chester wrote:
wlewis wrote:
MushroomMan wrote:
I have the book but havn't read it yet. It's definitley on my to do list



my jaw is on the ground, there is no face for that one...

WHAT'RE YOU WAITING FOR!!!

the book changed my life i didn't put it down until it was done. i am a gigantic phil fan i've been playing bass for almost half of my life. he drew me toward the music. he has put me on my own quest to search for the sound. right when you think you're there, keep going, because you haven't even scratched the surface yet.

my mother obtained a signed copy for me for christmas many years ago, ever so thankful.


MushroomMan, start reading it. It's really good. I know you'll love it.

wlewis, wow! A signed copy. You mother is awesome to have done that for you. I wanted to go to one of the signings
but the closest one was in NYC. And I couldn't make it. I usually bring it with me to shows, hoping I'm going to run into
Phil and get him to sign it. But no luck yet.


my mother is one cool cat. she's not a head, she saw a couple GD shows in the 80s with friends but never got it. she loves that i love it. she lives vicariously through me
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
lostsailor
Senior Boarder
Posts:552

Re: Phil's Book-Searching for the Sound

#92084 2 years, 4 months ago
doin_that_rag wrote:
i thought it was cool reading it picturing Phil narrating it and then hearing Jerry and Bob's voice during their quotes and such...One thing i wish either he, Bob, Bill or Mickey would do is collect a list of what we heads think are the best performances and such like 8/6/71 or 5/8/77 and so on and write a blurb about what they remember, if anything


According to an interview by McNally, the boys don't remember what shows were good or bad... they are just a long chain of music.

If you watch the court proceedings of The estate of Garcia, Phil basically says that because of the nature of his job, he doesn't really remember much about the last 3 decades, especially the 80s (I'm paraphrasing from memory... hopefully mine's better than Phil's )
lostsailor
Senior Boarder
Posts:552

Re: Phil's Book-Searching for the Sound

#92085 2 years, 4 months ago
Also- Phil did a presentation at the Los Angeles Book fair the year the book came out. They had a book signing after wards and they alloted him something like an hour to sign books. He went way over that, and made sure that every person got to have a nice exchange with Phil.

Mine was: My first show was Alpine 1988 and I gotta tell you- my life was turned aroudn 180 degrees from that week
His reply: Can you imagine how it affected my life?

(actually, no phil, I can't even begin to imagine that...)
Last Edit: 2 years, 4 months ago by lostsailor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re
jbeach12078
Junior Boarder
Posts:220

Re: Phil's Book-Searching for the Sound

#92089 2 years, 4 months ago
great book, i waited 5 hours in line at a barnes and nobels in nyc for an autograph. Phil started signing at 1 pm, i got ther just after 8 am. well worth the wait.
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder
Posts:943

Re: Phil's Book-Searching for the Sound

#92100 2 years, 4 months ago
lostsailor wrote:
doin_that_rag wrote:
i thought it was cool reading it picturing Phil narrating it and then hearing Jerry and Bob's voice during their quotes and such...One thing i wish either he, Bob, Bill or Mickey would do is collect a list of what we heads think are the best performances and such like 8/6/71 or 5/8/77 and so on and write a blurb about what they remember, if anything


According to an interview by McNally, the boys don't remember what shows were good or bad... they are just a long chain of music.

If you watch the court proceedings of The estate of Garcia, Phil basically says that because of the nature of his job, he doesn't really remember much about the last 3 decades, especially the 80s (I'm paraphrasing from memory... hopefully mine's better than Phil's )


I know i figured they don't remember much but i'm sure that there is at least one anecdote that would be interesting...i only said that because in the final pages of Phil's book he names 3 performances and i got so excited i thought he was gonna talk about some of his favorites from the 30 years but oh well
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
Equinox
Platinum Boarder
Posts:15751

Re: Phil's Book-Searching for the Sound

#92138 2 years, 4 months ago
Searching For The Sound and Keith Richard's Life are the best rock books I've ever read.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Time to create page: 1.07 seconds