• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

Phil's Book-Searching for the Sound

#91973 2 years, 4 months ago
Last night i finished reading his memoir, and i must say it was phenomenal. I started reading after work Friday night and finished it over the weekend. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it, and also I got myself a christmas present black friday..Amazon's Kindle...i have fallen in love with that thing and there are soooo many free books including a ton of classics published before 1923. I only threw that out there because Phil's book was the first i read on the Kindle which is strictly for reading, no web browsing or any distractions, so if any of you enjoy reading i would suggest both the Kindle and Searching for the Sound
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer , DangerousDan, scar1et_f1re, iraqistatefair
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

Re: Phil's Book-Searching for the Sound

#91976 2 years, 4 months ago
Kindel>>>Cool .....can't wait to get one.

Phil's Book, Loved it !!!!! sits on my end table next to my Dylan Bio. I really liked the early insight into the earlier days of the band and how everyone got to know each other. For us younger heads, it was really nice to have that story told by someone who was there.

Seemed acurate, could be wrong . Still loved the book. Recommend it for anyone who has not read it.
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

#91977 2 years, 4 months ago
read this book many years ago and loved it. You bringing it back up makes want to pull it down and start reading it again. Awesome read.
The voices tell me what to say
Chester
More or less in line

#91978 2 years, 4 months ago
I agree, great read, and very informative. I enjoyed it.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Little Bear
Gold Boarder
...they probably take care of themselves

#92001 2 years, 4 months ago
I have read "Searching for the sound" 3 or 4 times, Loved it Each.

However, each-time I do so, I find myself wishing he had devoted a few more words to the Eighties, Seems as though he said "I was fucked up, Jerry had a Coma, We played in the dark"
I realize that period in time may have not been as important to the band as the 60's in-terms of the 'why' behind some of the internal workings of the group mind.... But still, It would have been interesting _If nothing else_ to hear some of the Cocaine fueled stories that without a doubt sprang from that Decade.... But then Again, Maybe that was the purpose of Rock Scully's Book.

Is Phil an Educator or Entertainer?

Also I have a feeling that when Phil went about righting SFTS, He had No idea how much more important music he had still left to play, Which is Why I am petitioning Him to right a sequel, To be Released Dec., 20, 2012

Come Phil, your Schedule is Not busy Enough already!
~God bless the Hampton Inn~ ~And You~
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis, funky420
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#92002 2 years, 4 months ago
I think that's the best book out of the 18 that I have. Jerry Garcia oral books also great.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#92004 2 years, 4 months ago
i thought it was cool reading it picturing Phil narrating it and then hearing Jerry and Bob's voice during their quotes and such...One thing i wish either he, Bob, Bill or Mickey would do is collect a list of what we heads think are the best performances and such like 8/6/71 or 5/8/77 and so on and write a blurb about what they remember, if anything
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#92009 2 years, 4 months ago
I have the book but havn't read it yet. It's definitley on my to do list
DangerousDan
Senior Boarder

#92037 2 years, 4 months ago
Truely an amazing book. His inteligence is proven by how well he writes. Picked it up thinking, Alright support Phil and knowing there would be some cool stories then i read it and is up there with top 20 books.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
drpsilocybo
Junior Boarder
Trying to find a peacefull song

#92038 2 years, 4 months ago
I loved this book. Phil is an excellent writer!

I especially dug his repeated references to the effect that quantum probabilities and the interrelated randomness of the physical world have on the music. As deadheads know, the music really does play the band.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis, iraqistatefair
Time to create page: 0.63 seconds