• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

The Brent Mydland Years: An Appreciation by Relix

#91959 2 years, 10 months ago
The Brent Mydland Years: An Appreciation of the Grateful Dead in the 1980’s

Due to popular demand here is another article from our August 2005 issue. Here longtime Grateful Dead journalist Blair Jackson, author of Garcia: An American Life and former editor of Golden Road, revisits an underappreciated era in the history of the group.

Dick Latvala, the Grateful Dead’s famous vault-keeper and namesake of the Dick’s Picks series of historic Dead recordings he shepherded from its inception in 1994 until his death in 1999, once told me that he would be happy spending all his waking hours listening to Dead music recorded between 1968 and 1974. “There are a few shows from ’77 I love, a couple from ’78, various others scattered through the years, but I don’t need the other stuff. For me ’73-’74 was the peak.” And he laughed the deep, rumbly laugh of someone who had spent much of his life sucking on bongs and cigarettes.

This is not an uncommon view among older hard-core Deadheads—that the late ’60s and early ’70s represent the apex of the Dead’s career in terms of the quality of their songwriting, their onstage chemistry and the adventurousness of their playing. Fundamentally I agree with that assessment, too, and it’s not just because I first heard the band in 1969 and started going to shows regularly in the spring of ‘70, so that version of the band corresponds with my own Coming of Age. Clearly, the music of that era is a cut above.

follow link for the rest of the story.... paper.li/thedeadblog/1300088501
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, doin_that_rag
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

Re: The Brent Mydland Years: An Appreciation by Relix

#91960 2 years, 10 months ago
Hell, yeah!! I'm an 80's Head and I think Brent was an incredible addition to the band. Don't get me wrong, I love listening to 70's GD, sometimes 60's and even 90's, but the 80's was where my big adventure took place with the band and I have no regrets about when I was born.
Without love day to day insanity's king
The following user(s) said Thank You: doin_that_rag
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#91965 2 years, 10 months ago
edheadwharfrat wrote:
Hell, yeah!! I'm an 80's Head and I think Brent was an incredible addition to the band. Don't get me wrong, I love listening to 70's GD, sometimes 60's and even 90's, but the 80's was where my big adventure took place with the band and I have no regrets about when I was born.
me too
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#91968 2 years, 10 months ago
love this quote from the article "The ’80s felt like a time when Deadheads ruled the land, and the scene was truly, as the song “Might As Well” said, “one long party from front to end.”
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#91970 2 years, 10 months ago
edheadwharfrat wrote:

it took me awhile to accept being born in 91, making me 4 when Jerry passed away, i would give anything to have been able to see the GD but recently i've realized i'm very fortunate not only to still see Phil and Bob, but also it is pretty interesting being able to look at the dead's full body of work almost like a historical document and to be able to see how they developed as a group..i still think i was born in the wrong generation but oh well i am thankful for being introduced to this music at a young age and for me my favorite years were the early days ('66-'67), and pretty much everything up to '77 and then i also go through huge brent phases...he was so incredible he could really wail on the keys and his voice is so powerful with hints of darkness thrown in...its sad he always felt like "the new guy" he was probably the most talented keyboard player they had considering pig was more of a frontman than keys and keith never sang really and he faded a lot toward the end of his time sorta mimicking Jerry on the keys

Sorry for the long ramble, but thanks for the article link and the Brent years are certainly underrated...imagine what could have been with Brent and a young, healthy Jerry
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#92026 2 years, 10 months ago
i didn't know much about the GD when i attended my 1st show in '85, and Brent blew me away more than any other member of the band. he was so much fun to watch, so dynamic on stage and so full of life. like most of the GD faithful i grew to become a total Garcia freak, but Brent always held a special place in my heart. it's still hard to believe that he's gone.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#92029 2 years, 10 months ago
doin_that_rag wrote:
edheadwharfrat wrote:

it took me awhile to accept being born in 91, making me 4 when Jerry passed away, i would give anything to have been able to see the GD but recently i've realized i'm very fortunate not only to still see Phil and Bob, but also it is pretty interesting being able to look at the dead's full body of work almost like a historical document and to be able to see how they developed as a group..i still think i was born in the wrong generation but oh well i am thankful for being introduced to this music at a young age and for me my favorite years were the early days ('66-'67), and pretty much everything up to '77 and then i also go through huge brent phases...he was so incredible he could really wail on the keys and his voice is so powerful with hints of darkness thrown in...its sad he always felt like "the new guy" he was probably the most talented keyboard player they had considering pig was more of a frontman than keys and keith never sang really and he faded a lot toward the end of his time sorta mimicking Jerry on the keys

Sorry for the long ramble, but thanks for the article link and the Brent years are certainly underrated...imagine what could have been with Brent and a young, healthy Jerry

I think we all feel a bit of that John. My first show was in the early '80's but I had friends on the bus since the mid 70's. I always felt the same, that I should have been on the bus earlier. I really feel that way when I watch the super concerts like Woodstock or the Bands Last Waltz.

We all make the best of it. Don't worry, be happy!
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#92044 2 years, 10 months ago
The appreciation of art is a journey. Skipping a step, or wishing you could have rushed to a destination, is sort of counter to the entire experience. You discover and appreciate things as you're ready to accept them. If you get there before your time, you might never look back as you found you couldn't cue into the nuances and virtues of that thing. Sure, I could have found the GD a few years before I did, but I also remember what my interests were, where my head was, and the type of music I was enveloped in (never end a sentence with a preposition). There's no way I was ready for them yet. In due time. In due time. Everything's a situation. Context is key.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds