• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
calliopewail
Junior Boarder

THE MUSIC NEVER STOPPED..the movie:)

#91920 2 years, 8 months ago
This is a beautiful story, and a tear jerker! Check it out if you get some free time.
I rented it from my local Redbox kiosk but you can also watch it on youtube for 3.99

THE STORY
(I copied and pasted this off the movie website)

"The Music Never Stopped," based on the case study "The Last Hippie" by Dr. Oliver Sacks, M.D. ("Awakenings"), chronicles the journey of a father and son adjusting to cerebral trauma and a lifetime of missed opportunities. Through the music that embodied the generation gap of the 1960s, the film weaves the heartwarming progress of Henry and Gabriel's relationship.

In 1967, after his father Henry Sawyer (J.K. Simmons) forbids him to see a Grateful Dead concert, prodigal son Gabriel Sawyer (Lou Taylor Pucci) runs away from home. Nearly twenty years later, Henry, a straight-laced engineer and lover of big band music, is shocked to learn that his estranged son requires major surgery to remove a previously neglected brain tumor.

After the operation, the extent of Gabriel's condition is made clear: the tumor damaged the part of his brain that facilitates the creation of new memories. For Gabriel, past, present, and future become indistinguishable, and he lives fixed in the era of Vietnam, acid trips, and psychedelic music. Determined not to let their son slip away from them again, Henry and wife Helen (Cara Seymour) vow to connect with Gabriel, who is barely able to communicate effectively. Unhappy with Gabriel's lack of progress, Henry does his own research on brain injuries, which leads him to Dr. Dianne Daly (Julia Ormond). She is a music therapist who has used her methods to make significant progress with victims of brain tumors.

As Diane works with Gabriel, she realizes that he is most responsive to the music of the Rock and Roll era - The Beatles, Bob Dylan, and particularly the Grateful Dead. Even though he is unaware that the era of his music has long passed, the effect is remarkable, and he begins to be able to have conversations and express himself. Although Henry loathes rock and roll, he is determined to forge new memories and salvage his relationship with his son. While his own health fails, Henry begins his own pilgrimage through the bands of the sixties. As he learns the songs that animate his son's soul, he indeed begins to form an unusual but emotionally vibrant bond with the child he thought he had lost.
Hang your heart on laughing willow,
stray down to the water
deep sea of LOVE <3<3<3
The following user(s) said Thank You: alilfurther, 6StringRider
Irrenarzt
Junior Boarder

Re: THE MUSIC NEVER STOPPED..the movie:)

#91923 2 years, 8 months ago
Great movie but they were a little off on the factual content. I don't think there was ever a Hammerstein Ballroom show in 86...
All You Need
DigiGal
Senior Boarder
" If it wasn't recorded - it will be forgotten "

#91924 2 years, 8 months ago
calliopewail
Junior Boarder

#91926 2 years, 8 months ago
Irrenarzt wrote:
Great movie but they were a little off on the factual content. I don't think there was ever a Hammerstein Ballroom show in 86...

You are right, I don't think The Grateful Dead ever played at Hammerstein but I know Furthur has.
stray down to the water
deep sea of LOVE <3<3<3
Irrenarzt
Junior Boarder

#91962 2 years, 8 months ago
I just saw this pointed out in the older thread. My apologies for the repost...
All You Need
calliopewail
Junior Boarder

#92010 2 years, 8 months ago
Irrenarzt wrote:
I just saw this pointed out in the older thread. My apologies for the repost...

oh no prob i didnt even know there was another thread like this when i made this one.. woops
stray down to the water
deep sea of LOVE <3<3<3
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

#92013 2 years, 8 months ago
Man, repost all you want, I always post the same things over and over. There is no internet police here.
calliopewail
Junior Boarder

#92033 2 years, 8 months ago
captaintony wrote:
Man, repost all you want, I always post the same things over and over. There is no internet police here.

haha ya good thing, if there was we'd all be in the jailhouse for one thing or another
stray down to the water
deep sea of LOVE <3<3<3
The following user(s) said Thank You: captaintony
Muddy Das
Junior Boarder

#92071 2 years, 8 months ago
i hated this movie. wife and i couldn't handle the cheeesey acting and the to perfect sets just couldn't get into it. I agree with the whole music therapy stuff. please after a huge family fight no one looks disheveled everyone' hair is stay perfectly in place. i suppose if this was made better i would give it a shot. it reminded me of the movie around the fire started off fairly decent excellent depiction of the lot but turned into an abc after school special
Shakeit
Senior Boarder

#92074 2 years, 8 months ago
Muddy Das wrote:
i hated this movie. wife and i couldn't handle the cheeesey acting and the to perfect sets just couldn't get into it. I agree with the whole music therapy stuff. please after a huge family fight no one looks disheveled everyone' hair is stay perfectly in place. i suppose if this was made better i would give it a shot. it reminded me of the movie around the fire started off fairly decent excellent depiction of the lot but turned into an abc after school special

I agree, great story to tell, but the movie could have been made a lot better.
Time to create page: 1.35 seconds