• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

Kids grow up too fast

#91664 2 years, 8 months ago
Last night, my boy stayed over with a few of his friends. He told me today, all of a sudden there was a car outside with a couple guys who claimed they were from Detroit (which is possible), but anyway, they had ballbats and were covered in blood, said they were in a fight and a guy stabbed the two and they were going back to kill the guy. What pisses me off is the mom of his friends tells the boys to go outside and see what's going on, the oldest boy is 16. You don't send 16 and 15 year olds into something like that. Everything turned out all right, but still, my boy said he was nervous of course, and offered to call the ambulance for the guys, but they declined, so anyway I'm sitting there and trying to think of some advice and I can't think of any so I just listened. I was in a few of those situations when I was younger, I usually went along with it, and I sure as hell didn't want to add that piece of unwisdom. He's a good kid, never been in trouble, he cares alot about others, and that's a good trait, but I won't tell him to stay away from the boy who's house he was at. He always calls me Uncle, and yeah he's a magnet for this crap, but we're like his surrogate parents sometimes and we're the only family that keeps him out of trouble, which is scary in itself. Hah! I just told my boy he wasn't going over to his house, but his friend is welcome here. It's more like an adult supervision problem with his mom, she'd rather do her own thing and let her child run free.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

Re: Kids grow up too fast

#91681 2 years, 8 months ago
That is a scary situation, as are a lot of those that teenagers seem to be facing. I can't imagine a better response than yours, though, especially the listening part. Really nothing more important than that!
The following user(s) said Thank You: captaintony
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#91919 2 years, 8 months ago
Yes, it's a good thing he can share this stuff with his parents. When he thinks he can do it all by himself that trouble can really start. That's why I always try to be understanding with my daughter. I want to know what she's doing, even if I do not think it's smart. Now that she's 13 I really have much less control over her.

Seriously, consider watching the movie "felon" with your son. Oh have him watch it on his own. You can rent it. It's about a guy who encounters an intruder in his home, and he retaliates a bit but it messes up his life and his family's life. It's a bit over the top, but a powerful, nail biter of a movie with a lesson I will hopefully never forget.

"When the hunter gets captured by the game"

I feel for you, being a responsible parent is not easy.

I hope you tell him that retaliation and "killing someone" will only get himself in trouble and it's not worth it. One thing to go beat somebody up in a fistfight, but today who knows who's carrying what weapons. It's scary.

Which, btw, is why I am somewhat bothered by the video wheelman posted which is against the ban on assault weapons. I am all for the right to bear arms, but not assault weapons. And I believe registering guns is a good thing. Nothing upsets me and others more than seeing some innocent person being shot for being in the wrong place in crossfire or whatever. I'd love to have the ability to trace those bullets and make these punks think before they do something stupid, or take them off the street if shooting becomes another way of life for them.

Good luck to you and your son.

FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

#92016 2 years, 8 months ago
scar1et_f1re wrote:
Yes, it's a good thing he can share this stuff with his parents. When he thinks he can do it all by himself that trouble can really start. That's why I always try to be understanding with my daughter. I want to know what she's doing, even if I do not think it's smart. Now that she's 13 I really have much less control over her.

Seriously, consider watching the movie "felon" with your son. Oh have him watch it on his own. You can rent it. It's about a guy who encounters an intruder in his home, and he retaliates a bit but it messes up his life and his family's life. It's a bit over the top, but a powerful, nail biter of a movie with a lesson I will hopefully never forget.

"When the hunter gets captured by the game"

I feel for you, being a responsible parent is not easy.

I hope you tell him that retaliation and "killing someone" will only get himself in trouble and it's not worth it. One thing to go beat somebody up in a fistfight, but today who knows who's carrying what weapons. It's scary.

Which, btw, is why I am somewhat bothered by the video wheelman posted which is against the ban on assault weapons. I am all for the right to bear arms, but not assault weapons. And I believe registering guns is a good thing. Nothing upsets me and others more than seeing some innocent person being shot for being in the wrong place in crossfire or whatever. I'd love to have the ability to trace those bullets and make these punks think before they do something stupid, or take them off the street if shooting becomes another way of life for them.

Good luck to you and your son.

hey thanks for the reply. Nowadays, remember how we told or heard kids say I'll meet ya after school, not anymore, they do it right then. It's sad we morphed into this as a society, I think we got lazy as a generation (I'm speaking for mine) - my parents were baby boomers.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#92023 2 years, 8 months ago
What ever happened? Were kids really stabbed? If they were, I would think there would be cops.......

I thought nowadays it's "I'm gonna pop a cap in you" bs.

We never had metal detectors in our schools. Then again, we used to fight and sometimes get the crap beat out of us, but it would just be skin on skin.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

#92063 2 years, 8 months ago
haven't heard a thing. i think if it was true they were stabbed, police would have been all that area.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re
Time to create page: 0.43 seconds