• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
ScarletFire
Junior Boarder

What got you into the Dead?

#9111 3 years, 4 months ago
I got a cassette of In the Dark when I was a freshman in high school in 1987 and that opened the door. Go ahead, call me a Touch head, I don't care. Fast forward to a few years later and a few friends from Jersey got me acquainted with Live Dead during my freshman year of college. Shortly after some shenanigans ensued and I started doing the blanks and postage thing in the back of of Relix, then I saw a few Dead shows during the summer of 92 and 93 and I was hooked Anyone else care to share how it all started for you??
Last Edit: 3 years, 4 months ago by ScarletFire.
GreatestStoryEverTold
Expert Boarder

Re: What got you into the Dead?

#9112 3 years, 4 months ago
Greatest Story Ever Told sealed the deal for me.
ScarletFire
Junior Boarder

#9115 3 years, 4 months ago
Last Edit: 3 years, 4 months ago by ScarletFire.
reb
Visitor

#9123 3 years, 4 months ago
When I was 14, I made my first solo trip to the department store to buy a LP album to play on my brand new stereo. I was drawn to the album cover of "Workingman's Dead" but that was an expensive new release, so I bought 'The Grateful Dead' instead. Three years later I went to my first show and the rest is history...
Steve
Junior Boarder

#9124 3 years, 4 months ago
The older brother of a friend was playing Great American Music Hall from 75 (Help>Slip>Franklins) and I said "what is this?" and "do you have more?" This was 1983.

I had heard of the dead and heard their radio songs (UJB, Truckin, etc), but never had heard what they really sounded like (ie - live)

He made us some tapes and there was no turning back. I was hooked.
Thanks Charlie Miller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DetroitChris
Fresh Boarder

#9127 3 years, 4 months ago
For me it was my friend's tapes of the GD in Ann Arbor at Hill Auditorium Winter '71.
Docpaleo
Junior Boarder
Peace, love & light

#9138 3 years, 4 months ago
I was 14 with a headful of windowpane out in the woods with some friends, after three in the morning, just south of St. Louis and heard Morning Dew play on the local pirate radio station. It moved me in a way I had never been moved before. I got it right then and my life changed forever. That was near fourty years ago.

peace

whitey-x & evie moonflower
Last Edit: 3 years, 4 months ago by Docpaleo.
Grateful fredhead
Junior Boarder

#9145 3 years, 4 months ago
Europe 72 It still gives me goosebumps
GreatestStoryEverTold
Expert Boarder

#9146 3 years, 4 months ago
Grateful fredhead wrote:
Europe 72 It still gives me goosebumps

oh yess. I got my hands on Steppin Out from the Europe 72 tour. Wow!
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

#9148 3 years, 4 months ago
Similar to you a friend gave me a tape beuty/working mans on one tape. A few years later we were all hanging out while eating paper and some friends (who had already been tosome shows) were playing some bootlegs I remember them starting a song and we were all enjoying our time getting lost, laughing and what seemed like forever later (one of their extended jams they came back into the song they started! That hooked me it was mind blowing!
The voices tell me what to say
Time to create page: 0.46 seconds