• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder
The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay

My dog just cut her toungue on a can..any help?

#90834 2 years, 11 months ago
So i just got home and see my dog with the usual few things chewed up.

She had a tin can stuck on her face. As i got up to her i see that her toungue got caught in the can as the top part was not pushed down and trapping her tongue. I didnt want to mess with it too much cause its like a razor.

So just as i got some wire cutters to cut the side of the can... she came loose.
Shes bleeding very little and the cut although goes all the way across...is only like a little gash in the middle. 20 minutes have gone by and there is hardley any blood still. I know dogs can heal very quickly. But my vet said protocal is to bring her in to get antibiotics.....but asked if the can was old or in the recycle bin or trash can?.. I said no, i opened it last night while cooking dinner and it was on the counter.

Should i still bring her in for antibiotics just in case....or is that overkill?//
anyone gotta an idea?
Thank you.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

Re: My dog just cut her toungue on a can..any help?

#90839 2 years, 11 months ago
dogs are pretty tough and also eat some nasty stuff without getting sick,that said if moneys tight wait if its not anti biotics couldnt hurt,plus the vet can determine if its really okay or if it needs stiches (hopefully not) good luck hope the pup feels better
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#90840 2 years, 11 months ago
"Some" dogs eat poop. Sorry for your pup... but as 83 said dogs are tough.. he/she will be fine... just keep a watchful eye.
Tucson John
Senior Boarder

#90847 2 years, 11 months ago
She be fine Vets will cost money and they will recommend antibiotics. If she is current on shots I wouldnt worry about it . Mouths heal quick. If it a scratch I wouldnt worry if it is a flesh cut then Id proble go to the vet. I dont think they can put stitiches in a tongue anyway.
violetgoo
Junior Boarder
a full-blown deadhead

#90848 2 years, 11 months ago
the whole thing is you have to watch and wait just like you would do if you cut yourself on a can or your 2 year old cut himself on a can. this means if you can check a wound like this 2-3 times a day and have the know-how to tell if it is infected then dont go with the antibiotics unless you see it is becomming infected. you could also take your dogs temp every morning and again every evening to see if it is above normal which would indicate an infection.

the whole thing is if you cut your toungue on a can you would not go on antibiotics unless the cut got infected and you would know it was infected because your toungue would be more and more painful and you would feel it. even if it was a little kid that kid would start saying "my toungue hurts!" which would clue you in to look at it again and you would see the swelling and redness. a dog cant say anything when it starts hurting more like a little kid can and you wont be feeling it if her toungue starts hurting more. so that is why the vet said "antibiotics just incase"

you have to do a little self-reflection here and ask youself seriously if you can handle the extra attention to detail you have to have for this. a tendency to neglect things or space out the details could result in your dog developing an infection and it getting serious very quickly- like it could look ok today but by tomorrow night it could be infected enough to need meds- but if you are good at taking care of things and obsessing over little signs of well-being or sickness, noticing the little things that matter in this case, checking obsessively multiple times a day and not forgetting to look in her mouth for a day, then just watch and wait. keep checking it until it has healed completely. dogs! what kooks! how totally lovable- even when they do the most aggravating things! omg sending healing vibes out to you guys!
violetgoo
Junior Boarder
a full-blown deadhead

#90878 2 years, 11 months ago
oh and they totally can put stitches in a toungue (which is spelled "tongue" btw but we will go w your spelling to humor you since you just went thru all that stress w the dog) the thing w stitches is if the tissue is damaged so much that the edges of a wound are so spread apart that it would help to close the wound with stitches- like it would be a gaping hole without them or if something is in danger of falling off (like the tip of the dogs ear is barely hanging on) or being ripped off or wont heal back togeather properly and always will be hanging off once it heals these are cases when stitches are needed. if you are worried that the dogs toungue is cut so deep that part of it will not heal back togeather and will not work properly cuz it heals into a shape that is not what it was before the cut happenen then stitches. the best way to weigh out any health situation with yer dog is what would you do if it happened to you? and now you know she can reach things on the counter tops, yay! one more thing to be on point about! a quick dog story: while working at vernon hills, IL animal hosp years ago a dog came in that had swallowed a table spoon- the mom had been scooping out icecream with a table spoon for the little kids and the spoon slips out of her hand as it sometimes will wihen torquing on really hard icecream in the carton, at which point her big black dog swoops in and gobbles up the spoon off the floor and whatever icecream was stuck to it. swallowed the spoon whole. the x-ray of the dogs stomach was priceless- big old spoon right in there across the middle. $2500 worth of surgical spoon removal later and the dog was good as new! so just be glad she didnt swallow part of the can or anything like that. dogs! kooky lovable dogs!
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#90881 2 years, 11 months ago
Mouths have lots of germs, but they do heal quickly.

You might want to give the hound some salty snacks. The salt will serve as a disinfectant.

If it is a rusty can, keep a close eye on the pooch. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

Eating and drinking habits will be the tell-tale signs.

The dogs, not yours.
Shakeit
Senior Boarder

#90887 2 years, 11 months ago
I've heard a lot of storys like this being as I used to work at an animal Shelter/vet's office. Going to the vet for a minor cut at this point is over/kill, don't spend all that money. if it starts to swell up or if it doesn't go away, then go to the vet. It will probably heal fine though. Dogs have pretty clean mouths too.
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder
The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay

#90891 2 years, 11 months ago
Thanks for the quick responses. I went ahead and brought her over to the vet. As i suspected , the cut didnt need stitches, and god really is to thank !!! Also thanks to god, her tongue wasnt completely cut off!!!

He gave her a antibiotic shot just in case any bacteria could have infected it. And not necisarlly bacteria from the can. I learned today that although dogs heal quickly....the mouth is full of bacteria. As sue said, dogs eat poop....and mine has a serious shit eating problem...actually a low thyroid, but anyway....her mouth is dirty from being outside in grass and dirt and bacteria from out there....is the bacteria that could easily infect her wound on her toungue to get infected. I thought the complete opposite...but thier mouths are dirtier than ours, hence we brush our teeth more often, and we dont eat shit, i dont atleast.

So i learned 2 things today.
Dont ever leave a can anywhere near a dog. Keep recycleables and trash away.

And, if a dogs toungue is cut, take em to a vet for antibiotics to keep it from getting infected....cause the dogs mouth is a very unclean area.
alilfurther
Platinum Boarder

#90892 2 years, 11 months ago
anit biotics absolutely the mouth is the breeding ground of infection I would recomend it and try to keep the dog calm for at least 24 hours so that you can be sure the bleeding will not come back soft foods not too cold water ..good luck take care !!
Let It SHIIIINE !!!!!!!!!!
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds