• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
jodiah
Expert Boarder

Re: How to get into Taping

#91292 2 years, 11 months ago
furthur1 wrote:
I recommend making your way to shnflac.net n poking around there for tech info. You can even get into contact with the cosmic whiz kid Charlie Miller. Or Jamie Waddell known as GEMS ask him about his 6 mic rig sometimes used. Either way there is the entire catalog of audio recordings there to collect lots of kind folks to chat with

I think that is probably the best advice I've heard. Charlie was one of the best tapers of all time in my opinion. If you can get in touch with him he could give you better tips than anyone here. If all of the above advice fails, I recommend that you go to a local university and talk to a professor, if possible, or students in the Department of Communications. Those guys know tons about media.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#91348 2 years, 11 months ago
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
Slewfoot
Junior Boarder

#91548 2 years, 11 months ago
Taped 153 GD shows, mostly FOB - where the sound was infinitely better, but MUCH more difficult to pull off successfully (potential loud crowd, security, band hunting us down, proper/centered 15-20th row tix, stress, etc). It's not as simple as buying a deck and mics. Many of the best audience tapes are made using very expensive equipment. Though digital recording is easier and more affordable these days, quality microphones and mic preamps will cost you in the neighborhood of $3-6k! With the band now selling soundboards immediately after the show and high end audience recordings on archive.org within days, I don't really see the need to 'tape' any more. Look for B&K, Schoeps, AMS and Neumann microphone recordings on archive.org. Unless you fell like 'working' at the shows you attend, why not leave it to the kind and generous folks who are already doing it? Though very rewarding, taping is challenging. I'm glad to have contributed to the GD archive, but I'm having a lot more fun leaving the gear at home these days! Just my 2 cents...
theuch24
Junior Boarder

#92055 2 years, 10 months ago
Terrapin Sedation wrote:
Glad to be of help.

One of the coolest things happening now is people who stream the show live. Which can be tricky at some concerts. But if you are interested check this out.

www.ustream.tv/get-started

Yeah I have a ustream account that i plan on streaming shows whenever i can catch one
I gotta get down, I gotta get down.
Muddy Das
Junior Boarder

#92078 2 years, 10 months ago
I just started taping back in april. I haven't taped any furthur shows yet just smaller local acts like the van burens my new favorite band. Like slewfoot said it can be costly if you want it to. my whole rig cost me about a grand. I do plan on upgrading my gear as i learn more but why go out and spend thousands if i am still learning. You should head over to taperssection.com LOTS of info there and everyone is really friendly and eager to pass on knowledge. It is really simple now cause it's all digital so grab yourself some gear and come on over to the tapers section.

snd.sc/vGQ24D
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#92086 2 years, 10 months ago
my coworker is a microphone nut. He collects old mics. I once suggested he write a page on mic placement and it turned into 10 pages, and then he gave up because it was too out there for on hands use....
fourwnds
Senior Boarder

#92087 2 years, 10 months ago
Time to create page: 0.20 seconds