• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

Mickey Hart - Tapers and the Grateful Dead

#89928 2 years, 8 months ago
I always thought letting the tapers in was a well thought out marketing plan. Perhaps not.

DeadTaper.gif

Jerry was noted as saying that after he was done with the music, the Deadheads could do what they wanted with it. Dead Heads began sneaking portable tape recorders into Grateful Dead concerts, starting in the 1960's. By the early 1970's more bootleg concert albums had been released than the number of releases in the Official Grateful Dead collection. Needless to say, the band's record label was not happy about the situation. After about 15 years of debate, the Grateful Dead allowed taping at their concerts. The rules were simple 1) the tapes must only be used for noncommercial purposes and 2) all taping must take place in the designated taping section established at each concert site. Tapers made up a bit of a subculture of the Deadheads.

Originally published in Relix Magazine

Years later, the Grateful Dead have continued to break legal ground by allowing the noncommercial usage of Internet Downloads of MP3 music files of these concert recordings.

Press Release May 11, 1999
Grateful Dead Sanctions Free MP3 Music Format

Decision Follows Action Against Commercial Web Site

MILL VALLEY, Calif., May 11 /PRNewswire/ -- In a major policy initiative by one of the nation's most enduring musical groups, the Grateful Dead will, under strict guidelines prohibiting commercial use, allow free Internet downloads of live performances taped by their fans via the popular but controversial MP3 format, the group's attorney, Eric Doney,
announced today.

Doney, a partner in the firm of Donahue, Gallagher, Woods & Wood, said the Grateful Dead is believed to be one of the first major bands to adopt a policy that essentially endorses free MP3 music, a format some members of the recording industry have strongly condemned.

The decision follows several weeks of discussion and review by the surviving members of the Grateful Dead and includes strict and non negotiable guidelines, Doney said. Furthermore, the announcement follows recent dispute with the owners of a web site that posted MP3 files of Grateful Dead live recordings for free download but received revenues
from banner advertisements.

"The members of the Grateful Dead feel this decision is important and far reaching for both the band and their fans," Doney said. "This MP3 policy continues the band's long tradition of allowing free access to and trading of live recordings of their music and ensures that fans are not left with outmoded technology.

"At the same time, the strict guidelines protect the Grateful Dead against the very real threat of pirated intellectual property posed by the trading and possible sale of MP3 files via the Internet."

Under the guidelines, any web site owner is free to post copies of the group's live recordings made by fans as MP3 encoded files but may not derive any form of revenues from the endeavor, Doney said. This means web site operators may not charge for downloads, may not solicit any
form of advertising, may not post any type of banner advertisements and may not sell e-mail addresses or other data about fans downloading Grateful Dead music.

Only live recordings are sanctioned by this initiative, Doney said. The Grateful Dead will continue to aggressively prosecute any web site operators or any other businesses trafficking in Grateful Dead studio recordings, which are protected under US copyright laws, Doney said.

-----
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, fourwnds, MushroomMan
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

Re: Mickey Hart - Tapers and the Grateful Dead

#89983 2 years, 8 months ago
Thank You Tapers everywhere!!
Warrior for Peace and The Positive Movement!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ablebaker
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#89992 2 years, 8 months ago
what about Wolfgang's Vault? ..... they have been charging for their Grateful Dead downloads for a few years now, I actually bought a good few of them - how do they get away with that?
www.wolfgangsvault.com/grateful-dead/

--actually I just bought there (expired now) 1 year plan thing to listen as much as I want for $50 i think but they gave me that much credit towards anything they sell so I just got all GD downloads with it
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by MushroomMan.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#89993 2 years, 8 months ago
Wolfgang's Vault actually had one of the Acid Tests for a while. Not sure if it's still available.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#89996 2 years, 8 months ago
Equinox wrote:
Wolfgang's Vault actually had one of the Acid Tests for a while. Not sure if it's still available.

they do but you can also get the same thing on etree for free - theres at least 1 other acid test on etree to, and like 15-20 shows at least from 1966
Muddy Das
Junior Boarder

#90022 2 years, 8 months ago
i have a little over 200 shows on my hard drive and constantly on the look out for more, only payed for dick's pick and other official releases there are so many places to get good quality shows for free on the internet. So after years of collecting shows i am now a taper. I am not sure why wolfgangs vault gets away with charging for shows I am defintley going to try my hardest to put a stop to that.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#90026 2 years, 8 months ago
I just started collecting a couple months ago and probably have over 500 already - getting new stuff everyday. I also started a list of all the ones I've listened to since I'd never remember all that and just put on one thats not on the list everytime.... not that I'm gunna avoid playing the ones I heard already until I heard everything cause that'd be silly. A lot of times I just go with whatevers on gdradio
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#90189 2 years, 8 months ago
Muddy Das wrote:
i have a little over 200 shows on my hard drive and constantly on the look out for more, only payed for dick's pick and other official releases there are so many places to get good quality shows for free on the internet. So after years of collecting shows i am now a taper. I am not sure why wolfgangs vault gets away with charging for shows I am defintley going to try my hardest to put a stop to that.
i think your only a taper if you record the shows live at the show.GOD BLESS THE TAPERS AND ALL THE HARDWORK THEY PUT IN FOR ALL OUR ENJOYMENT
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#90216 2 years, 8 months ago
83msg1sttyme wrote:
Muddy Das wrote:
i think your only a taper if you record the shows live at the show.GOD BLESS THE TAPERS AND ALL THE HARDWORK THEY PUT IN FOR ALL OUR ENJOYMENT

Lol, I'm a taper to then
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
Muddy Das
Junior Boarder

#90371 2 years, 8 months ago
i just recorded my first show of my new favorite band The Van Burens. i suggest everyone checking them out. My rig consist of sp c-4> art preamp> sony m10. Take a listen i haven't done any editing on this track.

soundcloud.com/muddy-das/jeffreys-world
Time to create page: 0.86 seconds