• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
flavaham
Fresh Boarder

Set Lists

#89280 2 years, 11 months ago
I know The Grateful Dead never (or at least rarely) used a set list. They just went out and played. (I still find this to be unbelievable)...

Does Furthur use a set list at all and if so, who puts it together each night?
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

Re: Set Lists

#89286 2 years, 11 months ago
Phil's wife Jill, and Bob's assistant road manager take turns making up the majority of the setlists, but I heard they all have input in what they play (from recent interviews with Bob/JK)

in the setlists threads in the 'show review' section they usually post a picture of the actual setlist they use, and you could tell when they make last minute changes cause they cross stuff off (or block it) and hand write other stuff in with a marker
flavaham
Fresh Boarder

#89303 2 years, 11 months ago
Yeah, I've seen those pictures but wasn't sure if they were printed off later or what the actual story was. Interesting that it's someone who's not playing the songs making up the set list though. As you say, I'm sure the band has ultimate say in what they play. I always found it amazing that would walk up on stage cold and just tear through set after set without any sort of plan!
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#89323 2 years, 11 months ago
i saw some thing with JK when he was talking about the upcoming Rex benefit and he said the GD used to have a sheet from tour to tour with the song catalogue for any given tour and they would mark checks next to songs after being played...so while not a setlist he made it sound like they weren't walking up there cold, however i'm sure in the early days it was a free for all
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
flavaham
Fresh Boarder

#89329 2 years, 11 months ago
I'm sure they had to do something to keep track at some point. Either way though, it just adds to what they did. The music was moving the band from song to song. That's the essence of their music, right down to how they put the set together! It's even more amazing that they could play all of these tunes with no notice! Yeah, they forgot the occasional lyric, but honestly, with a catalog this big, it's pretty impressive that they were able to pull it off.
GreatestStoryEverTold
Expert Boarder

#89333 2 years, 11 months ago
Like the others say there is some sort of working list. I could easily see when you get up there with no list and no master list of songs played it would be easy to forget what songs you just played and easy to forget what songs you have not played.

I've noticed on this tour they have been gravating a little bit from the printed setlist and making more changes more oftern. This seems to be the tour of double encores, which I won't ever complain about . So far this tour has been amazing and the playing has been top notch. Feel the love y'all!
The following user(s) said Thank You: MushroomMan
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds