• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

Re: Got Denied NYE :(

#88107 2 years, 11 months ago
kinda late now but you should have sedured the time before hand .that said i would think about how important the job is too you,can you get another one or would you be screwed the fact they know you have plans meens you cant call in sick or some other excuse,is this person the onlyone you can ask for time off,explain the fact of how long you havebeen waiting for these tickets the coast of them and how you havent taken any time off and covered everyone everyone elses shifts dont do anything you might regret later its just a concert(a good one but still just a show )
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
The following user(s) said Thank You: iamthedoor
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

#88113 2 years, 11 months ago
iamthedoor wrote:
I work for an overnight shift in an upscale resort an I'd consider myself valuable to them mostly because my shift is hard to fill (10pm-6am), which unfortunately is also the reason I can't get it off. We are understaffed an have been for longer than expected so it looks as though they have no other option but to schedule me. I have only talked to my sup and manager, I'm planning on going above their head to the next higher up next week, wish me luck! An Paige, dare I even write it cause I will do my best to keep it from being so, but if I can't make it, you asked for em first.

and best of luck and blessings to you!!!
Strider1
Platinum Boarder
PMA - Positive Mental Attitude

#88229 2 years, 11 months ago
If they are understaffed, and you have worked there for a while and proven your worth, just tell them you are going.
I doubt they would let you go because of it, especially if they are already having a hard time finding quality employees.
If, after telling them, they say that they will fire you if you go, then that's a difficult decision that only you can make.

Either way, good luck!
Takin' it in stride!
Shakeit
Senior Boarder

#88411 2 years, 11 months ago
Looking for new employments always a good idea if you really are unhappy with your job
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

#88436 2 years, 11 months ago
Thanks for the replies all. I definitely didn't tell em it's for a Grateful Dead related show. Told em I'm going to see some family members in the Bay area (which is true). Also told em I would work Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day, which had always worked at most in previous years.

As for timing, I actually put the request in in August and was told that it looked hopeful but that was also when they really needed me to cover shifts so it's kinda one of those scratch our back we'll stab yours kinda deal. I figure that I'm gonna try and have a face to face talk w/ my manager, because I work overnight we only communicate via email, so I'm gonna explain how i feel, i helped them out a lot this summer and how I rarely request time off, and that the family I'm going to see I don't get to see but once in a great while (also true).

Fingers crossed, I really don't want to look for a new job but i am prolly going to be looking for one in February anyways cause I'm getting over the overnight shift anywho. Was told after a year of it I could transfer out but that looks like another empty promise. There are other Resorts in the area so It wouldn't be too hard to find new employment being that I already have 6 years in the hotel industry. Please send any and all the positive vibes you can spare my way this Monday, thank you Family!
Warrior for Peace and The Positive Movement!
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#88438 2 years, 11 months ago
i'll see you on NYE brother
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
perry
Senior Boarder

#88568 2 years, 11 months ago
If you will be looking anyway...if you are confident that other work is available, go for it. Sounds like you had empty promises and lost your summer for a company that shows no loyalty to you.
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

#88649 2 years, 11 months ago
In all reality, despite the way I've been treated by them this past summer, it is a very reputable company that I wouldn't mind putting a couple more years of work in with, if they can accommodate my schedule requests. But I think missing NYE would be something that I would regret a lot more in the long run. You've all pretty much affirmed what I've been thinking and I appreciate your feedback, hope to resolve this in a way that I can keep my job, but regardless I have a feeling that I will be shakin my bones come New Years!
Warrior for Peace and The Positive Movement!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme
Tmglf2
Platinum Boarder
Without love in a dream, it will never come true.

#88655 2 years, 11 months ago
My boss usually is real cool with my time off requests but for some reason new years seamed to be an issue. I work closely with my boss and after a week of reminding him of all the "above and beyond" I do for him and the company I was able to get the time off. Prior to getting it I had decided that wether he gave me the time or not I was going. Part of me was really excited that I would not be burdened by work and considered Wlewis' s request for drivers to San Fran. Point is I believe my being determined to go forced my boss to realize how important it was and he didn't want to lose me. I hope a positive approach works for you. Would be nice to meet you out there.
((((((((((positive vibes))))))))))
Time to create page: 0.22 seconds