• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

Got Denied NYE :(

#87998 2 years, 10 months ago
Manager just told me I have to work NYE,not handling it too well right now. Worked my ass for the company and lost my whole summer due to covering other peoples shifts. I missed the last two years and had to sell my tix so I'm super torn up on this.
What would you do Forum Family? Risk a write up/suspension/worse, look for new employment?
Warrior for Peace and The Positive Movement!
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

Re: Got Denied NYE :(

#88005 2 years, 10 months ago
what? that's fucking crazy. you didn't have it cleared up?

where do you work? are you valuable to your company? would your boss be at odds if he lost you?

sure is quite the dilemma. not sure what to tell you because up until a week ago, i always sought and had jobs where i could just get up and go, knowing i would be saying "see ya" if i was denied something like that
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

#88015 2 years, 10 months ago
Iamthedoor,
If it was me, I would try to get the time off, talk to your super Maybe write down your points also, and present the fact that you covered others shifts all summer...give specifics.

If that doesn't work, maybe risk going over the super's head to corporate...maybe

and if you sell the tix, I am in the market for them,,PM me pretty please if that is the case:)
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

#88027 2 years, 10 months ago
I work for an overnight shift in an upscale resort an I'd consider myself valuable to them mostly because my shift is hard to fill (10pm-6am), which unfortunately is also the reason I can't get it off. We are understaffed an have been for longer than expected so it looks as though they have no other option but to schedule me. I have only talked to my sup and manager, I'm planning on going above their head to the next higher up next week, wish me luck! An Paige, dare I even write it cause I will do my best to keep it from being so, but if I can't make it, you asked for em first.
Warrior for Peace and The Positive Movement!
ablebaker
Senior Boarder

#88053 2 years, 10 months ago
i'm sorry but I know we will meet NYE or later.
I have a feeling we'll both be dancing NYE at midnight!!!!!
Everytime that wheel turn round
bound to cover just a little more ground
The following user(s) said Thank You: iamthedoor
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#88056 2 years, 10 months ago
You have to lie your ass off!! Don't tell them you need the time off for a concert, my wife always makes that mistake. My supervisor tried to pull that same shit with me and I said that I had already bought airplane tickets (which I hadn't yet but he doesn't need to know that)!
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#88060 2 years, 10 months ago
if it was me I would tell your boss how much it means to you, point out how valuable you are, if you never call out and stuff like that. I would offer to work extra hours after the days off you need but in the end if it was me I would tell him that I'm going regardless, bottom line, and I don't want to leave him screwed calling out sick at the last minute so heres plenty of notice and do what you have to. I'd also let him know how much I don't want to lose the job but do what you have to do - you know how reliable I am when Bob and Phil arn't coming around.

thats just me though, I hope you end up making it to NYE and I hope you still have your job afterwards to....
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#88062 2 years, 10 months ago
Don't go above you supers, that's the worst thing you can do. Then your going to have more problems at work.

Do a power point presentation on why you should have it off. Just do something that will wow him.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#88063 2 years, 10 months ago
Any co-workers you could bribe to cover for you? Maybe work a Christmas shift for one if they'll cover NYE for you? In this economy, it's not the time to risk losing a decent job, and I agree with 23atwell that jumping over the manager's head could cause you grief in the long run. But I hope you can get it off somehow, fingers are crossed!!
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#88100 2 years, 10 months ago
I agree with Sue. If you covered for all these people over the summer, surely you can get someone to cover for you. And there's always the option of working Christmas (and Thanksgiving) in return for NYE.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer , iamthedoor
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds