• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Rambleonrabi
Junior Boarder
"let me love you without ending"

Re: Any Wharf Rats out there?

#73462 2 years, 11 months ago
I'm a Wharf Rat.My first clean Grateful Dead show was in '95 at the Shoreline,also happens to be the last three shows I saw with Jerry.I stayed clean most of '95 but relapsed in '96...I have been clean since '99.I saw 7 of the last Furthur shows and have no desire to use.I love being clean and work a 12 step program.Now I will admit not as vigilant as I was when I first got clean,but Just for Today I dont have to get high....I am Grateful
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#73468 2 years, 11 months ago
I totally support wharf rats. Although I have been to about 15 shows sober cause alcohol has screwed me me up to where I wanted to stay sober. Right now I'm not fullyvsober cause I have some pot twice in the last year. But I haven't drank in a year which I thank god for it everyday. If I don't drink then I feel safe. Drinking always leads me to stuff that I don't want to do. I once had four years clean and it was because of the twelve step program. If that's what's keeping you clean then suggest you never stop cause your own will is way hard.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder
The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay

#73784 2 years, 11 months ago
Even if they didnt allow you to have a table (3 ft by 8 ft space) you can always walk around and by word of mouth spread the good word of sobriety and the straight and sober life. And tell people how being sober is a good thing where you can enjoy the music, if not even more. Its cool they give yall a table, but dont let that table be the only place you share your story - takin to the streets !!
There's rats EVERYWHERE !!!!
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder

#73790 2 years, 11 months ago
Having a table is great for people to walk up to- dont get me wrong. But many times you gotta go out there and save some souls that arent going to just walk to you. Bring the table to them. Sometimes i get the feelin from some people who are "wharf rats" that they are above other people. Not all, but sometimes. That attitude aint gonna help bring someone off drugs and feel welcomed , but pushed away. Just sayin from personal experience. Many people in churches act the same way. Like thier shit dont stink. They dont represent and actually uphold the actions of what Christians are. Instead its like Im saved and your not, too bad for you im better than you. Obviously there are duds in every group or what not....I've met may great rats as well....dont think im bashing the whole group.

Shipping powders back and forth, black go south, white come north
And the rider come they rant and rage , singin someones got to turn the page
And the rich man in his summer home, singing just leave well enough alone
His cards are down, his cover blown

And the rats thier gonna win the race
Shoutin love is good and hope is grace
cause its all too clear weir on our own
on our own
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder

#73793 2 years, 11 months ago
I'm 6 years clean . table or not, keep comin back - it works.
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#73922 2 years, 11 months ago
iraqistatefair wrote:
Having a table is great for people to walk up to- dont get me wrong. But many times you gotta go out there and save some souls that arent going to just walk to you. Bring the table to them. Sometimes i get the feelin from some people who are "wharf rats" that they are above other people. Not all, but sometimes. That attitude aint gonna help bring someone off drugs and feel welcomed , but pushed away. Just sayin from personal experience. Many people in churches act the same way. Like thier shit dont stink. They dont represent and actually uphold the actions of what Christians are. Instead its like Im saved and your not, too bad for you im better than you. Obviously there are duds in every group or what not....I've met may great rats as well....dont think im bashing the whole group.

Shipping powders back and forth, black go south, white come north
And the rider come they rant and rage , singin someones got to turn the page
And the rich man in his summer home, singing just leave well enough alone
His cards are down, his cover blown

And the rats thier gonna win the race
Shoutin love is good and hope is grace
cause its all too clear weir on our own
on our own

Congratulations on six years clean!!!

It's too bad you've had some negative experiences with some Wharf Rats. So far I've been blessed to only meet humble Rats who don't believe they are better than others. We're not all Christians, however, I don't know where you got that idea. We are also Jewish, Buddhist, Atheist, Muslim, and any other faith (or lack of) that you can think of.

As far as "going out there to save some souls"--in my personal experience with my own recovery as well as working with addicts and alcoholics on a daily basis, I've found that people only get clean and sober when they are ready. We can set an example, but we can't preach.

"Our primary purpose at the shows is to make ourselves available to anyone who feels we may have something they want."
Without love day to day insanity's king
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder

#73945 2 years, 11 months ago
I never thought rats were ALL Christian. I was saying those few people ive encountered were as some Christians are. Some Christians act better than otheres cause they are saved and blessed by the love and protection of Jesus. Totally putting a sour and completely wrong thing with thier fortunate blessing of his love. If they are real Christians, or buddhists or any religious faith that is based on LOVE...they would they would kill hate or disbelief with LOVE and truth rather than look the other way and feel sorry for the unsaved or act as though they will find out on thier own and until then....im better.

As for people being ready...i fully agree. I think having a table is a blessing. it might be only 8 x 3 ft. table but its a place to go always there. YES, thats the truth. But someone might be Phil side or up in the nosebleeds not ever making it to the table . Its a big venue....not to mention Shakedown street and the lot. Some people ready to commit arent even in the show. If you can vend grilled cheese and beer with a table outside....they surely wouldnt bust you for having a wharf table.
So i disagree about someone being ready and therefore a table being the only place for them to get help. I never said walk around and press it on people that arent sure....but u could maybe walk around and let people know theres a place to go at every show. That is what i think i meant..you cant disagree with that ed.
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder

#73950 2 years, 11 months ago
crippled but free, i was blind all the time , still learning to see
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme, bokb
bokb
Senior Boarder
Be, okay? Be.

#73971 2 years, 11 months ago
Nearly 30 yrs. of alcoholism & general toxic behavior led me to check myself into rehab in Dec. '09.
They had a little talent show thing for christmas, and I "performed" an embarrassing-but-heartfelt version of "Wharf Rat."
Grateful Dead lyrics took on completely new meanings for me during those weeks, echoing through my internal ipod, giving me such strength and hope. I will survive, indeed!
I found a correlation with the 12 steps and Buddhist philosophy, and chose to embrace Buddism (& other) tenets as they seem to encompass and transcend the program.
I occasionally puff, but that relationship was never an issue. The alcohol & partying, though, has gone the way of Jerry: there were some really fun times, andI miss those days tremendously, but they're gone. I've accepted it as the past and, like, Furthur, have chosen to explore with new eyes!!!
If unable to dance, I'll crawl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme, SunshineSue
hl2
Fresh Boarder

#84326 2 years, 10 months ago
i'm a young kid and i'm really grateful to have a chance at recovery this early in life. i was on furthur tour for a while and uh ya know, whiskey and l was what we lived on like everyone else.
i remember always walking by the wharf rats table and never knew what the hell was going on. never had any idea that those people were sober or that i was an addict. never knew why everyone was always clapping and why they weren't drinking. i always thought wharf rats was like some group of old heads and i wasn't welcome.
anyways i started getting sober over the summer after catching a case in the summer and i've never been happier. i was at the spac show over the summer but couldn't find the table but i'll be at albany on tuesday and that will be my first wharf rats meeting.

i live in schenectady, ny right now and go to aa meetings around the area. if you live in the area, give me a holler. i would love to meet ya and would love to know if there is already wharf rats meetings up here, and if not, i'd like to try to get it going

see ya tuesday
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds