• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

Any Wharf Rats out there?

#8774 3 years, 3 months ago
Hey, now!! I wanted to take a minute to thank the band for allowing us Wharf Rats to maintain a table at the Furthur shows, just like at the Grateful Dead going back to the 80's. I've been in recovery from alcoholism and drug addiction for three years and I am just SO grateful that this music I've loved for so many years is still a big part of my liife. I won't lie, I did have a lot of fun and great times dosing/drinking/smoking at shows for many years, but eventually the drugs stopped working and I needed to change my life. It's very important, especially for those new in recovery, to have a safe place at shows to be around other clean and sober people having a great time, and that's what the Wharf Rats is for. Anyone else want to share their thoughts on this? Remember, you don't need dope to dance!
Without love day to day insanity's king
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

Re: Any Wharf Rats out there?

#8787 3 years, 3 months ago
im a supporter of wharfrats its nice to know your not alone
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
reb
Visitor

#8955 3 years, 3 months ago
I enjoy the shows sober. The music and dancing are enough to alter my consciousness.
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by .
Steve
Junior Boarder

#8963 3 years, 3 months ago
I attended the Furthur shows in Chicago last March with my teenage son. It was the first time I saw a show in 15 years AND the first time I was "straight". Just passed the 5 year mark. There are a lot of us out here.

I enjoyed the music even more without the artificial stimulants.
Thanks Charlie Miller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mistah_Charlie
Fresh Boarder

#73396 2 years, 9 months ago
thanks ed, i was interested in NYE furthur shows. my wife and i are clean and sober now.any info you could send me would be great!
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

#73421 2 years, 9 months ago
I don't consider myself a Wharf Rat because I still imbibe at shows. I also don't consider myself in recovery because I don't subscribe to the 12 Step philosophy. I'm more like an addict who abstains from using most of the time. I've drank alcohol fewer than 10 times in the last 15 years, tripped 3 times since 1995, haven't used hard drugs in 14 years, and smoke weed maybe 5 times a year. I used to think Wharf Rats were weird, like how could you go to a show sober? But all 3 Furthur shows I've been to I had no intention of tripping at (until I got to the show.) I know I'm at the point in my life where I can go to a show completely sober and enjoy myself. Drugs will always be a part of my life, I just don't want them to ever BE my life again.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
sfwharfratluke
Junior Boarder

#73435 2 years, 9 months ago
it's great they let us table at shows. no table in missoula or salt lake city this year - but it was cool bumping into everyone who was looking for one. we ended up congregating in the hallways for a bit of fellowship. good times.
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#73443 2 years, 9 months ago
Glad you were able to stop using hard drugs. Total abstainence and the 12 steps aren't for everyone, they just happen to work for me. For me, recovery has been more than just abstaining. The 12 steps are my spiritual program and have helped me to improve my way of thinking and living. Other people have other ways of acheiving serenity. I say whatever works for you and keeps you happy is a good thing. I've met some great people through the Wharf Rats community in the last few years.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#73448 2 years, 9 months ago
although i use recreationally, i am also happy there is a wharf rats table at shows...i have friends who don't use (including one coming up on 3 years clean) and i know sometimes he swings by the table when he feels the need

hard to believe there was not one in zoo town or west valley city but then again, i wasn't looking..

quick question...how often do stoned or spun people go to the wharf rats table completely oblivious?
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#73460 2 years, 9 months ago
wlewis wrote:
although i use recreationally, i am also happy there is a wharf rats table at shows...i have friends who don't use (including one coming up on 3 years clean) and i know sometimes he swings by the table when he feels the need

hard to believe there was not one in zoo town or west valley city but then again, i wasn't looking..

quick question...how often do stoned or spun people go to the wharf rats table completely oblivious?

Fairly often. They play with the candy, usually. lol It's all good, since we've all been there, believe me! A lot of people who use recreationally come up and offer moral support, say that we've helped their loved ones, throw a few bucks in the donation jar, or pick up a sticker. At Red Rocks, I was working the table on Sunday and these Heads were sitting on the wall right in back of the table smoking non-stop bowls the entire time. Us Wharf Rats were dancing our asses off and these people never even stood up the entire show, just kept passing bowls and talking non-stop. I'm not sure if they knew what our table was about or not.
Time to create page: 0.48 seconds