• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
NewHampshireJed
Junior Boarder

Re: Please, No More Beatles!

#87435 2 years, 11 months ago
I have to disagree was well, I have loved the Beatles tunes personally. JK BELTING out Golden Slumbers into a Carry that Weight at Vibes last summer was one of my top highlight Furthur moments, of all time ever. Also have gotten two Come Togethers and Maxwells Silver Hammer, thoroughly enjoyed them all.
I won't slave for beggar's pay, likewise gold and jewels
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#87440 2 years, 11 months ago
i wouldn't say shelf all beatles material for good but i could go without for a while. i was lucky enough to be on tour in the spring and see every single of those songs including the medley on phils 71st. after the novelty factor wore off, some just don't do it, some do. i'd like to see them play some DIFFERENT beatles if they are going to.

and yeah, anybody who says anything about age...i may not have gotten into GD until i was 16, but i was listening to the beatles including the psychadelic stuff since i was 6 years old. my parents were HUGE beatles fans.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#87514 2 years, 11 months ago
doin_that_rag wrote:
i might be in the minority but i absolutely love the beatles tunes i wouldn't be opposed to hearing one or two at every single show it keeps things interesting and i love their she came in through the bathroom window i've seen it twice at hampton and all good and i absolutely love bobby's vocals on that especially when he hits the high note "thought i knew the answer" i love the covers...i also agree with covering some more dylan i realllllly want to hear tangled up in blue and i would love some JGB songs or songs that JGB covered like second that emotion or jimmy cliff tunes like the harder they come or sitting in limbo

I'm with you (probably in the minority) but I would love more Dylan - I can never get enough. And I always enjoyed the Beatles. Lucy in the sky and day tripper seem like natural fits for this crowd. Along with so many others.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: doin_that_rag
Straws
Junior Boarder

#87520 2 years, 11 months ago
Less Beatles - More Pink Floyd & more JGB (Midnight Moonlight, Cats Down Under the Stars, Run for the Roses, Waiting for a Miracle, Senor, ect..)

Just my opinion.
Ride in the whalebelly, Fade away in moonlight, Sink beneath the waters, To the coral sands below, Now is the time of returning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis, OtherOne
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#87526 2 years, 11 months ago
Looks like I got the whippersnappers attention. So here is what I'm telling you..before the internet..before cds.. there was a party goin on. We would get elated and listen to albums together and cough. Beatles albums were a large part of that scene. I don't fault anyone for not being alive yet..those are just the facts. So its only natural that the older crowd responds to these tunes a lil more warmly (as a group) than younger fans. I applaud & encourage younger fans... thank god for you. I meant no disrespect to younger fans..I'm just stating fact. Finally.... wrap your head around this younger ones... if a kid born today.. in 27 years (2038) on the internet discussing Furthur and whats good to play and whats not ..... wouldn't you feel like you had a little more insight on the band? As long as I'm rambling please no more Pink Floyd..the "GD er Furthur" have plenty of mind melting material of their own.
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#87552 2 years, 11 months ago
I'd love Furthur to bust out Glass Onion from the White Album. For the youngsters not familiar with the song here is a little backround.

Glass Onion was written by John Lennon and is the first track on the White Album to feature Ringo Starr on drums. Starr briefly left the group during recording sessions for the album and was replaced on drums by Paul McCartney on both "Back in the U.S.S.R." and "Dear Prudence".The song refers to several earlier Beatles' songs, including "Strawberry Fields Forever", "I Am the Walrus", "Lady Madonna", "The Fool on the Hill", and "Fixing a Hole". There are also subtle, passing references to "There's a Place", "I'm Looking Through You", and "Within You Without You". The song also refers to the "Cast Iron Shore", a coastal area of south Liverpool, known to local people as "The Cazzy".
The song's "The Walrus was Paul" lyric is both a reference to "I Am the Walrus" and Lennon saying "something nice to Paul" in response to changes in their relationship at that time. Later, the line was interpreted as a "clue" in the "Paul is dead" urban legend that alleged McCartney died in 1966 during the recording of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and was replaced by a look-alike and sound-alike. The line is preceded with "Well, here's another clue for you all".
Lennon himself dismissed any deep meaning to the mysterious lyrics:
I threw the line in—'the Walrus was Paul'—just to confuse everybody a bit more. It could have been 'The fox terrier is Paul.' I mean, it's just a bit of poetry. I was having a laugh because there'd been so much gobbledygook about Pepper—play it backwards and you stand on your head and all that."

The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, MushroomMan
alilfurther
Platinum Boarder

#87564 2 years, 11 months ago
I love anything they pull out of the hat ...
Let It SHIIIINE !!!!!!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, Tmglf2, scar1et_f1re
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

#87569 2 years, 11 months ago
now we want Stones Covers !
Gimme Shelter > Ruby Tuesday > We Love You > Dandelion > She's a Rainbow > 2000 Light Years from Home

Kinks Covers !
Do it Again > Come Dancing > Destroyer > the Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by the highway terror.
OtherOne
Junior Boarder

#87601 2 years, 11 months ago
I like the Beatles covers, but could certainly do without them in the 2nd set nearly every night. Becoming a little predictable
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#87604 2 years, 11 months ago
Walk in the Sunshine wrote:
Looks like I got the whippersnappers attention. So here is what I'm telling you..before the internet..before cds.. there was a party goin on. We would get elated and listen to albums together and cough. Beatles albums were a large part of that scene. I don't fault anyone for not being alive yet..those are just the facts. So its only natural that the older crowd responds to these tunes a lil more warmly (as a group) than younger fans. I applaud & encourage younger fans... thank god for you. I meant no disrespect to younger fans..I'm just stating fact. Finally.... wrap your head around this younger ones... if a kid born today.. in 27 years (2038) on the internet discussing Furthur and whats good to play and whats not ..... wouldn't you feel like you had a little more insight on the band? As long as I'm rambling please no more Pink Floyd..the "GD er Furthur" have plenty of mind melting material of their own.

i am just responding to this as one of the younger ones who posted in this thread. i didn't take anything you said personally but can relate my experience to some.

what is so different about the ACT of LISTENING to a new vinyl or a new tape or a new cd. your format was different that's it. fuck, i sit around and spin vinyls when i feel like it, some sound great. in fact, my parents have an absurd collection of the beatles records you speak of.

i don't think your age has anything to do with it, i think you just like the beatles, that's it. don't you think i felt the same way in the spring, watching my favorite band play another bands album i have fond memories of listening to alone, with my parents, with my friends, in the basement, in the attic, in my room (you get it) almost 20 years ago?? the music was part of my life since the early beginnings. as far as i knew, it was new music (until my parents explained it to me) .

by the way bro, when you talk about your experiences, you are giving your history not "the facts".

i'm glad you are one of the ones who enjoy seeing younger folks at the shows. i 've experienced a lot of ageism (yeah, that's a real word) in the past 10 years on this scene, so thanks for understanding there is a posterity to this scene and trying to help expand it. yeah it would be weird to have someone in 27 years talk about it but remember, we're talking about furthur, a band you and i both started seeing around the same time, i think. granted furthur has similarities to grateful dead (which you have expertise and insight in), they are their own band. it's not like i came here never seeing a furthur show and am saying these things to you. if that were the case i'd understand your hypothetical scenario a little more.

and to close your post with a request to stop playing floyd covers. are you mad? i don't care for them either, but you just rambled about people placing opinions on whether beatles tunes should be played or not, only to state they should not play another bands? yikes.

i don't want you to think i'm "calling you out" or anything of the sort, i'm just letting you know how i interpret your post, and since i was in a position to relate, i added my 2 cents.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds