• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

Re: LOSE THE BACK UP SINGERS

#8656 3 years, 4 months ago
That version of Row Jimmy is great, I have that Cd and wouldn't mind hearing the boys give that sound a try..a little dub jam here and there, too, perhaps..I always wondered why they don't do tunes by the other Bob....Marley...seems like a fit for them in world view, political stance..tunes like So Much Trouble or Get up Stand Up are right there with the Motown stuff like the mentioned Whats Goin On? in the true GD Speedway Boogie, Morning Dew, Throwing Stones tradition.
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
Last Edit: 3 years, 4 months ago by sjfgreenman.
ScarletFire
Junior Boarder

#8664 3 years, 4 months ago
If you get a chance to listen to Time from the Fox show, get back to me and tell me you think Furthur doesn't benefit from some singing backup. Jeff and Sunshine ROCKED it. Shoulda sung the Breathe reprise too, just saying......

Jeff and Sunshine, I love you both!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, Colorado Greg
Chester
More or less in line

#8666 3 years, 4 months ago
Right on Scarlet Fire. : )
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
sam2448
Junior Boarder

#8667 3 years, 4 months ago
ScarletFire wrote:
If you get a chance to listen to Time from the Fox show, get back to me and tell me you think Furthur doesn't benefit from some singing backup. Jeff and Sunshine ROCKED it. Shoulda sung the Breathe reprise too, just saying......

Jeff and Sunshine, I love you both!

yeah they fucking nailed eclipse too, and it's hard to imagine furthur even tackling abbey road without them. they've really started to mesh and fit in way better than last summer.
drpsilocybo
Junior Boarder
Trying to find a peacefull song

#8682 3 years, 4 months ago
The Beatles covers wouldn't work without the backup vocals
Because is a good example
Candyman from Fairfax VA is another song they rocked
their addition pretty much stopped all the controversy over who sings what that surrounded early furthur
In some ways I think it was a shortcut
and sometimes I think the harmonies muddle the vocals, there is to much going on
there is no way furthur should ditch them, just figure out how to best use them
and get the best fucking sound guy working the best fucking sound system on the fucking planet
whooooo... cant wait for summer!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScarletFire
redial2
Fresh Boarder

#8684 3 years, 4 months ago
I would love to hear Sunshine sing Magnolia Mountain or Althea.
Ace#11
Junior Boarder

#8705 3 years, 3 months ago
I love them both! Listen to Bid you good night from 3/29/11 and then rethink your post ! FAIL ((((Sunshine & jeff)))) are AWESOME!
Cornjulio
Junior Boarder

#8709 3 years, 3 months ago
furthurnyc wrote:
They add so much, couldn't Imagine this band w/o them

+1

This is an electoral landslide. They probably win by a larger percentage then anyone else in the band!
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by Cornjulio.
GreatestStoryEverTold
Expert Boarder

#8735 3 years, 3 months ago
Natorious wrote:
I know I'll probably catch fire from you all but it's just my opinion. I made this thread bc a lot of people in the lot at the Fox were talking about how much the back up singers (especially the female) clash with Bobby, Phil and JK's voices. She sings really loud and she's no Donna Jean. This is just my opinion but I wanted to see what everyone else thinks about them. Do they really need them?

Your right shes not Donna Jean. Shes better. I suggest you listen to the vocal harmonies from 3-15-11 and then get back to us. I respect your opinion but it seems that you have no listen to the proper recordings before forming such a statement. I love how your lot talk comes into play here. People with actual musical ability can respect and appreciate what they do for the band and I find that people who have no musical ability tend to put down these kind of people.
pairdoc
Junior Boarder

***KEEP*** THE BACK UP SINGERS

#8743 3 years, 3 months ago
I definitely agree that Sunshine and Jeff (and Zoe Ellis before Jeff) complement the band perfectly and add such depth and texture to the overall sound. Just listen to the band's shows from September and early December 2009 (before they had the vocalists), and you will recognize the conspicuous void.

In response to a question about the backup vocalists in November 2010, Phil himself said that "my voice isn't that strong" and he felt that they really round out the overall sound of the band.

Additionally, Jeff (@setjeff) and Sunshine (@sunbecker) have in many ways become the social network "personality" of the band, both on Twitter and FaceBook. It's refreshing that they enjoy and are willing to take the time to interface with the fans. And they are truly goo-hearted people!
----------------------

PAIRdoc
Philadelphia, PA

"Show me a sane man, and I will cure him for you." -Carl Jung

----------------------
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by pairdoc.
Time to create page: 1.16 seconds