• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Natorious
Junior Boarder

LOSE THE BACK UP SINGERS

#8553 3 years, 5 months ago
I know I'll probably catch fire from you all but it's just my opinion. I made this thread bc a lot of people in the lot at the Fox were talking about how much the back up singers (especially the female) clash with Bobby, Phil and JK's voices. She sings really loud and she's no Donna Jean. This is just my opinion but I wanted to see what everyone else thinks about them. Do they really need them?
LDowling
Junior Boarder
We must become ourselves before someone else does

Re: LOSE THE BACK UP SINGERS

#8555 3 years, 5 months ago
Absolutely. They fill out the sound nicely. I always love a good, rich, female backup vocal & Jeff does a nice job as well. He actually got the opportunity for a lead vocal Sat night, Radio city during Eclipse, which was powerful & beautifully sung. Thinking back to the first few Furthur shows, I'm much happier with the current arrangement.

Although I love her & I don't discount her vocal contributions- Donna Jean herself would admit that she sometimes had her own pitch issues back in the day.... Just listen to a rip roarin' "You ain't woman enough," lol. Haven't heard any issues with Sunshine.... Just sayin'.
Someday, everything's gonna be diff'rent... when I paint my masterpiece
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by LDowling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
gratefulpanda
Junior Boarder

#8556 3 years, 5 months ago
Personally I enjoy them quite a bit. They add a nice new dimension to what the Grateful Dead had started. I don't feel they take over any of the songs, but in fact round some of the songs out a bit more. I also enjoy their energy and stage presence. The overall experience to me, is actually more even. So nights when Phil or Bob are slightly off, or tired, they boost the overall vocals and tie it all into a neat package, bringing great new life to the Dead's music. Plus I love his rendition of the Floyd tunes!! Just an opinion. We should all agree that the music, scene, and community is smiling once again...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorado Greg
furthurnyc
Fresh Boarder

#8557 3 years, 5 months ago
Your ears are out of their fucking minds
~bus~
Junior Boarder
videographer/photog for NASA TV at KSC

#8558 3 years, 5 months ago
I like them. Sunshine could probably bust out a beautiful Sunrise! and Jeff should do Easy to Love You
furthurnyc
Fresh Boarder

#8559 3 years, 5 months ago
They add so much, couldn't Imagine this band w/o them
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aries 5
bitzer87
Junior Boarder

#8561 3 years, 5 months ago
I think they are great. Better than Donna in my opinion. Jeff doing eclipse was great doing eclipse. I'd like to see him sing lead more.
DL1943
Junior Boarder

#8566 3 years, 5 months ago
Natorious wrote:
... and she's no Donna Jean.

and thank god for that!

i'll pass on having my ears ripped to shreds during playin', and a host of other tracks...granted she got better during the later years but was still a little overbearing at times.

would you REALLY want to hear an eyes of the world or franklins tower chorus with only phil, bob, and JK singing? not that i dislike any of their singing...i love most bobby vocals, even the jerry ballads he catches slack for, i LOVE JK, and phil has great emotion and id never be disappointed to hear him sing anything as long as he's playing the shit outta that bass. but i mean...lets be honest...their voices cant hit alot of the places that songs like eyes or franklins need to be hit(unless you let JK sing them! LOL), and jeff and sunshine make it so that those places are hit but you can still hear phil, bob, and JK sing. the mix on the vocals most of the time is just perfect.

im so glad i can still groove to the vocals in the chorus of some of the songs whose vocals in the verses are, well, loved, but maybe dont sound to great.

and i do love a female presence in the band. WHY ON EARTH has sunshine not done sunrise?????
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorado Greg, gratefulpanda, Aries 5
LDowling
Junior Boarder
We must become ourselves before someone else does

#8567 3 years, 5 months ago
Just think about the vocals in "Attics of my Life." Backup, especially female, adds so much!
Someday, everything's gonna be diff'rent... when I paint my masterpiece
Uncle John
Junior Boarder

#8568 3 years, 5 months ago
she did Sunrise at RCMH Sunday night you goofballs
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds