• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

accidentally lit my engine on fire!!

#85443 2 years, 9 months ago
holly shit do i got a story to tell - to sum things up, I'm an idiot but heres the whole story......

I have a 1987 toyota 4runner, been running like a champ the whole tour so far. On saturday I'm about 25 miles from Atlantic City and I stop at the last rest area for some stuff. My truck has been burning a tiny bit of oil which I figure is common with an old truck so I checked it and added a little bit BUT I forgot to put the fucking oil cap back on. I drive about 2 miles and then theres a toll plaza to stop at, at which point I notice tons of smoke pouring out of my hood, so I'm like "shit I gotta pull over" and the lady at the toll booth notices obviously and says "you can pull over there and ill call for help" ..... so I pull over in this little parking area quick and imediatley turn the truck off and just out and open the hood. There was so much smoke - and as I opened the hood I see my engine is on fire! the exaust manifold is where the fire was cause it was so hot. I turned in a panic to run for some water bottles in the truck and to add insult to injury, I slip and fall on the pavement cause of all the oil pouring out onto the ground - it was like ice. I got up in a split second, went in the cooler throwing the apple brownies asside (which were on top) grabbed some water bottles and started dumping them over the exaust manifold and put the fire out.

Amazingly there was no damage done, and luckily I had a ton of extra oil to fill it back up. I emptied several water bottles trying to wash as much oil off as I could and then I wiped down as much as I could to. The entire area under my hood is drenched in oil, there was really nothing much I could do without a hose and stuff. Eventually the service guy pulls up and I tell him what happened and stuff and how I think it will be alright, I just put more oil in and was letting it run for a while when I watch to make sure it's not going to catch fire again. He was real cool, although I could tell he was little weary about it to but I convinced him all was well. there was a huge puddle of oily water which he through some speedy dry on - I appolagized and thanked him for his help, I even told him to send me a bill or something to clean up all the oil but he just said "i think it will be fine" and through the stuff on it.

It was still smoking but that's obvious with all the oil I couldn't get off. I was a bit nervous but I drove slow, taking it real easy and listening to the motor, and keeping a close eye for to much smoke which would indicate a fire. It still ran great and I really can't believe no wires or hoses were melted from the fire..... it was right next to a bunch of wires and hoses that I didn't have any extra of. excess oil leaked on the ground for a while ..... there was a huge puddle of it where I parked for the show (serves them right charging me $20 parking) but it stopped dripping eventually which means theres no actual leaks now. On the way up to buffalo I was stopping every 20 miles or so and looking under the hood to make sure it wasn't smoking to bad. It smoked for a while as there was a lot of oil to burn off but the furthur I drove, the less it smoked which was a great sign and now it's barely even smoking anymore - I still have to get it to a car wash though.

the fucked up thing is - I did the same exact thing before and swore it wouldn't happen again (it never caught fire before though). I was sober as can be..... all the precautions I took, having spare parts/fluids/tools in the truck in case of an emergency and then I do something stupid like this which almost cost me my truck and kept me from seeing the last 3 shows of my run. I'm so lucky and definitley caught it just in time, most of you probably don't know exacly what it feels like to see your truck on fire - certainly not a good feeling at all.

at least I know nothing will be rusting anytime soon - there was plenty of oil everywhere before this all happened
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

Re: accidentally lit my engine on fire!!

#85445 2 years, 9 months ago
damn dude no bueno.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Tmglf2
Platinum Boarder
Without love in a dream, it will never come true.

#85447 2 years, 9 months ago
OMG, so glad you are ok and back on the road. It could have been alot worse. Mishaps like these remind us how luck we are just to make it to shows. May the 4 winds blow you safely home. Hope to see you in Albany with some"hot" apple brownies.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#85449 2 years, 9 months ago
dude I wanted to come to the after party but besides my brother not having his ID, I really didn't have any extra money to spend and didn't want to be like a bum just showing up and not doing the place any buissness at all, I didn't want to be a hassle with you having to sneak my brother in like you said you could either. Sorry man, plus I had like 2.5 hours to drive to my hotel here
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#85450 2 years, 9 months ago
Tmglf2 wrote:
OMG, so glad you are ok and back on the road. It could have been alot worse. Mishaps like these remind us how luck we are just to make it to shows. May the 4 winds blow you safely home. Hope to see you in Albany with some"hot" apple brownies.

yes we def have to meet up in Albany, there might be some brownies left but I don't know about the freshness - they are kept cold in a cooler but by tuesday IDK if id want to eat any still - unfortunatley theres nothing mind altering in them but they are a pretty damn good snack.

I'll be in Albany early, I meant to call you after the show in syracuse but I was running around and it totally slipped my mind....
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#85451 2 years, 9 months ago
MushroomMan wrote:
dude I wanted to come to the after party but besides my brother not having his ID, I really didn't have any extra money to spend and didn't want to be like a bum just showing up and not doing the place any buissness at all, I didn't want to be a hassle with you having to sneak my brother in like you said you could either. Sorry man, plus I had like 2.5 hours to drive to my hotel here

don't be sorry man. we played until about 3:30. it was a great time the crowd was a lot of fun, and they were high enough to spin me out just playing for 'em. good to hear everything is cool with your truck. i will hit you up in albany, it's my last stop til NYE
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#85470 2 years, 9 months ago
glad your okay buy a can of gunk off www.gunk.com/products/cat_ECD_CL.asp follow the directions to the letter,basicly you get the engine warm spray thestuffonwait a bit thenhose itoff,be careful to avoid theditributercap,wire ,spark plugs and youll be fine whenmy transblew i had oil all over the place too gonna be smoking for a bit
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by 83msg1sttyme.
jaredlang
Platinum Boarder

#85562 2 years, 9 months ago
Hey MM
Sounds like quite the adventure. I'm happy nothing seriously shitty happened.
Maybe meet up in Albany? Where you hanging before the show?
Standing on the moon with nothing left to do
A lovely view of heaven but I'd rather be with you
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#85571 2 years, 9 months ago
I dunno if theres any meet up place planned but I should be around early and be down for a meet up anywhere - even its just in the lot, ill send you a pm
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#85573 2 years, 9 months ago
Fuck the truck.....WHAT HAPPENED TO THE APPLE BROWNIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you left out a little bit of the back story.

I was 25 miles from AC and HAD JUST SMOKED A BOWL when I decided to pull into a rest stop.

Can't fool us old heads MM
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by Terrapin Sedation.
Time to create page: 0.51 seconds