• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
deadontherivet
Expert Boarder

Re: Setlists getting Boring?!

#84898 2 years, 11 months ago
Personally the tone was set fore me with the header "getting boring?" I don't drink the kool aid and think every set is epic, but every set is at least good. Even though u are the original poster this was not all meant for u. Like Ststephen said. I think we are a little spoiled at times.
I wish I was the headlight on a northbound train.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GratefulDeadhead
deadontherivet
Expert Boarder

#84899 2 years, 11 months ago
Oh yeah I do remember ur guitar. It was very nice.
I wish I was the headlight on a northbound train.
Carl
Junior Boarder

#84902 2 years, 11 months ago
St.Stephenhead wrote:
People ... it seems like the expectations are a little high.. Ya gotta be handy in the math compartment to grasp this.

PHIL IS OVER 70 BOB IS OVER 60 !!!!!! SHOW ME ANYONE WHO CAN DO WHAT THEY DO NIGHT IN AND NIGHT OUT. REMEMBER AS MUCH MATERIAL AS THEY DO , PUT UP WITH AS MUCH CRAP AS THEY DO. WHATS BEEN GOING ON WITH THIS FORUM LATELY?

If you go to SOOOOO many shows , then you should have utmost respect , and furthurmore UNDERSTAND the flow of Tour.
People are going to bitch no matter what the band does. WE've been spoiled cause they truly are THAT GOOD ! FOr the first idk say ... 40 EFFIN YEARS sure it was about us , The fans. Now, no matter how you want to put it, TIME is of the essence. It truly is a miracle phil still makes it out every night. Lets not be Selfish. "aint got time hate, barely time to wait"
PEACE LOVE AND KEEP THE FAITH.

what does their age have anything to do with the setlist?? Yes they are getting older, that doesnt mean that they need to play help>slip>franklin every 3rd show. If anything, age would result in fewer songs total and shorter sets. Not repetition. Not trying to complain at all cause I have loved every show I have seen. Its just out of 7 CA shows I have seen i nthe last year, help>slip>franklin were played at 5 of them. how bout some deep cuts? You cant convince me the group needs a ton of rehearsing to bust out walking blues or desolation row. Its all about flow and chemistry and these guys got plenty of that!
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#84932 2 years, 11 months ago
i agree that they are trying to do the tours in a way that always fans to hit up a show or two, a small run, but isnt too convient for someone trying to hit every show. (unless you count there west coast tour, thanks boys) and they do probably bust out the same setlist, xchanging a song here and there on different parts of the tour, that they think most of the people there didnt see the show they played it the first time, but yeah they never do it the same twice, and one viersion could be smokin and one could fall flat. IF YOU GUYS LOVE FUTHUR GO TO NYE, ill be there and yall should too,three times the charm
Shakeit
Senior Boarder

#84938 2 years, 11 months ago
St.Stephenhead wrote:
People ... it seems like the expectations are a little high.. Ya gotta be handy in the math compartment to grasp this.

PHIL IS OVER 70 BOB IS OVER 60 !!!!!! SHOW ME ANYONE WHO CAN DO WHAT THEY DO NIGHT IN AND NIGHT OUT. REMEMBER AS MUCH MATERIAL AS THEY DO , PUT UP WITH AS MUCH CRAP AS THEY DO. WHATS BEEN GOING ON WITH THIS FORUM LATELY?

If you go to SOOOOO many shows , then you should have utmost respect , and furthurmore UNDERSTAND the flow of Tour.
People are going to bitch no matter what the band does. WE've been spoiled cause they truly are THAT GOOD ! FOr the first idk say ... 40 EFFIN YEARS sure it was about us , The fans. Now, no matter how you want to put it, TIME is of the essence. It truly is a miracle phil still makes it out every night. Lets not be Selfish. "aint got time hate, barely time to wait"
PEACE LOVE AND KEEP THE FAITH.

I thought we were allowed to critique the music????
Shakeit
Senior Boarder

Re: Setlists getting Uninspired in Tune rotation?!

#84941 2 years, 11 months ago
I think we can all agree that this band goes on tour with such a massive repertoire. BUT at the same time, like the original poster said, the setlists are turning into greatest hits compilations, specifically the second sets. I wish they would infuse some more improvisational risk taking into a show. Come on guys this bands been together for a while now, we know they can do it, step out of the box a little bit more. IMO some a space segment would be nice.
Shakeit
Senior Boarder

Re: Setlists getting Uninspired in Tune rotation?!

#84942 2 years, 11 months ago
I gotta admit im on the fence about this...

of course when we have the opportunity to listen to EVERY show as its happening, or if not just a day or two later on the archive, your gonna start to feel like the shows are getting repetitive.

Give the guys a break, how many shows do you want them to do without repeating anything??? Its not as easy as it seems to maintain as large of a repertoire as Furthur does. Which by the way is much larger than the GD toured with at any given time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: deadontherivet
GratefulDeadhead
Junior Boarder

#84944 2 years, 11 months ago
wow, some people just amaze me at how impossible it is to be happy with what the boys do. its really quite sad. They've busted out quite a few songs that havent been played in a while this tour, granted not as many as there was during the spring tour of course.

theres always room for a lil change up in setlists. Calling them boring or uninspired seems just an attention grabber. it seems to me you wish you'd get more obscure songs. the thing is you are getting those obsure songs more than you were before. and if they were played all the time, they wouldnt be obscure songs anymore. personally i like what they play, yeah sometimes the setlists arent what i like, but i think maybe a portion of that you feel the setlists are uninspired is that band doesnt do em, which is sad.

i myself would like to see some of the songs you listed but i definitely dont feel as harshly as you do. i think your goin a lil over the top to be honest.

i would LOVE to see My Brother Esau though sometime before Furthur is through. that Esau jam at the broomfield show was (as a friend says) SICKLEBERRY haha!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Walk in the Sunshine, deadontherivet, St.Stephenhead
Shakeit
Senior Boarder

#84948 2 years, 11 months ago
I agree, we should be able to critique the band without worrying about getting scolded.

IMO, the setlists have been leaning a little too much towards greatest hits compilationey. I wish they would free form jam out a little bit more.
Still by far my favorite band, by far my favorite music, by far my favorite musicians. Id crawl on my hands and kneed to go see this band live. "There not the best at doing what they do, there STILL the only ones that do what they do"
The following user(s) said Thank You: deadontherivet
fourwnds
Senior Boarder

#85388 2 years, 11 months ago
I'll second Victom or the Crime, I was just thinking about that song recently and couldn't recall seeing it on any Furthur setlists. I always wondered what Jerry thought about that song.
Time to create page: 0.71 seconds