• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

Re: Setlists getting Boring?!

#84843 2 years, 10 months ago
50 shows is a lot. I've made it to every tour but the first winter one and this summer. But usually only get to see a couple, so that keeps it fresher. However, I do listen to the stream whenever I can, so I get your point.
lysergic
Junior Boarder

#84850 2 years, 10 months ago
If you have seen furthur 50+ times i can see your point. Have seen about 10 shows a year so far and it hasnt gotten tired for me. You have to remember as well that the music is in the ether already waiting to be played. The band and crowd act like a key to bring it out. So if its getting boring remove yourself from the situation, your ego is getting too involved.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#84852 2 years, 10 months ago
sometimes they are, i agree with that initial statement. like you i've seen a ton of furthur shows. tonight will be 88. have i heard enough playin's, wheels, help>slip>franks? yeah. more than enough. the thing is, there is just only so much they can do with their material. touring all the time, and barely rehearsing, is not really allowing any time to delve into new material. i think we're lucky we have the newer songs that they've created, but many aren't standing the current test of time. something like seven hills of gold that had potential has been kicked to the side for a while. at the same time, a song like welcome to the dance is revisited after a long shelving. some tours are more unique than others like spring 11 with the abbey road stuff. i also think, like any band. maybe they played some of those songs (evidenced in rehearsal shows, and i'm sure there is a lot we do not know) and decided, hey this is not for us or this is not working right now, or maybe ever. if you take a step back, we are almost getting greedy wanting more and more but i think we all (myself included) can occasionally forget their not 30, and we should be thankful they are playing at all

our main problem. we're hooked solid. we need to stop going to so many shows. i mean, when we decide to hop on the full tour and not miss one note of the music, we've signed an invisible agreement we'll take whatever they throw our way, because we've got zero control over it and sometimes that means 5 playin in the bands on the tour. that is why i am currently in the process of jumping off tour. this is the first i have not done in full in a while, and i've been enjoying the shows i'm hitting very much so. i do not have to say "jeez, another playin in the band" unless of course they play it tonight or tuesday

touring is fun for a while and i'd highly recommend it to everybody. at least once. people always ask w hat a deadhead is or how you identify. that was the first time i felt like a deadhead was when i was full blown on the bus. eventually you've seen just about everything, and need to get back in touch with how it all started and where it's gone.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tilnot, St.Stephenhead, furthur1
lysergic
Junior Boarder

#84853 2 years, 10 months ago
DB- In terms of channeling that music is there any way that one can prepare to receive it?

PL- You can’t train for it, I don’t think. This is something I’ve never really articulated before verbally, but what you have to do is remember that who you are is that eternal consciousness which is in everyone and it’s all one. That eternal consciousness is the same in you as it is in me and the same in the guys in my band as it is in me. It’s a subliminal and subconscious process but when the nodes of that eternal consciousness link together and become one consciousness then that’s the group mind, the eternal universal archetypal consciousness. The door is halfway open at that point and we just try to lean against the door a little bit. There’s some kind of feedback circuit that operates when that’s happening and enables the valve, which might be a better metaphor, allows that valve to open and let that divine eternal music to come flowing through.

DB- The challenge then is to avoid distraction?

PL- The challenge is to avoid yourself or what you think of as being yourself, your ego. And also the challenge is not to play what you know and what you can always bring out of the superficial level of your ability to play music.

DB- Can one refine this over time?

PL- I think so but I don’t think it’s a conscious process. I don’t think you can train for it, you just have to do it. It’s really more of an attitude than something you can practice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: furthur1
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#84867 2 years, 10 months ago
One word of advice from this 'older man'. touring from 84-91, listening to shows I wasnt physically at, allowed me to fully embrace repetition by finding little hidden nuggets. It may have come with an extra riff at the end of Cold Rain and Snow, or a different solo during Loser, or Bob sounding different. etc etc etc. It became extremly fun to see the same song so many times and finding the hidden gem. "Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."

Remember this cats, the music is never en end to itself. The Dead always pointed to something beyond themselves. The music plays the band and takes us corporeally and individually beyond the band itself. It always was meant to point to something else. If you hear playin 5 times, dont get upset, try to find the one hot one out of the 5 and relish in the fact you heard it. it will allow you to not get bored.

That being said, if you hate a song, well there is nothing youre going to do about it. Go take a leak, get a drink, and wait til they start another song. I heard enough space.wheel> other one>throwing stones>wharf rat>Sugar mag endings to choke a horse. But when I saw it done just a tad different, well, it is magical
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by newyawker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tilnot, 23atwell
St.Stephenhead
Gold Boarder
Empty bottles that can't be filled

#84871 2 years, 10 months ago
People ... it seems like the expectations are a little high.. Ya gotta be handy in the math compartment to grasp this.

PHIL IS OVER 70 BOB IS OVER 60 !!!!!! SHOW ME ANYONE WHO CAN DO WHAT THEY DO NIGHT IN AND NIGHT OUT. REMEMBER AS MUCH MATERIAL AS THEY DO , PUT UP WITH AS MUCH CRAP AS THEY DO. WHATS BEEN GOING ON WITH THIS FORUM LATELY?

If you go to SOOOOO many shows , then you should have utmost respect , and furthurmore UNDERSTAND the flow of Tour.
People are going to bitch no matter what the band does. WE've been spoiled cause they truly are THAT GOOD ! FOr the first idk say ... 40 EFFIN YEARS sure it was about us , The fans. Now, no matter how you want to put it, TIME is of the essence. It truly is a miracle phil still makes it out every night. Lets not be Selfish. "aint got time hate, barely time to wait"
PEACE LOVE AND KEEP THE FAITH.
Time there was and plenty, but from that cup no more
The following user(s) said Thank You: deadontherivet, lysergic
patchmyfurthur
Platinum Boarder

#84883 2 years, 10 months ago
This is like when my dad complains that Bucket and Music Never Stopped are too slow or Bob doesn't HAAAA enough or lunge enough in Estimated.

Bob is over 60.

Can anyone complain about Phil though? He drops bombs like every concert is Japan or Iraq and is singing better than he has in 10 years! He is the exception in this band.

Bob, though. Well he is gonna always be great, but the guy shows his age. I still love him though and think since Furthur began, he has been playing the best I've heard and singing the best I've heard him do since Alpine 2002!
The following user(s) said Thank You: St.Stephenhead
lysergic
Junior Boarder

#84886 2 years, 10 months ago
St.Stephenhead wrote:
People ... it seems like the expectations are a little high.. Ya gotta be handy in the math compartment to grasp this.

PHIL IS OVER 70 BOB IS OVER 60 !!!!!! SHOW ME ANYONE WHO CAN DO WHAT THEY DO NIGHT IN AND NIGHT OUT. REMEMBER AS MUCH MATERIAL AS THEY DO , PUT UP WITH AS MUCH CRAP AS THEY DO. WHATS BEEN GOING ON WITH THIS FORUM LATELY?

If you go to SOOOOO many shows , then you should have utmost respect , and furthurmore UNDERSTAND the flow of Tour.
People are going to bitch no matter what the band does. WE've been spoiled cause they truly are THAT GOOD ! FOr the first idk say ... 40 EFFIN YEARS sure it was about us , The fans. Now, no matter how you want to put it, TIME is of the essence. It truly is a miracle phil still makes it out every night. Lets not be Selfish. "aint got time hate, barely time to wait"
PEACE LOVE AND KEEP THE FAITH.

concur
deadontherivet
Expert Boarder

#84888 2 years, 10 months ago
I read this post first thing in the morning, and backed off responding because I thought I would be unkind to dire. These guys are out there brining it to us hardcore every night. We are sometimes the most ungrateful fan base in the world. Ive only been to 16 shows and had a few repeats, but they were always like a new song. I saw the dead a lot in the 90's and got a lot of repeats then as well. I honestly never need to hear fought the law again.

Dire are u a musician?I am and couldn't imagine dealing with the amount of material these guys deal with every night. They bring it as well.

Sometimes art just need to be enjoyed for the sake of art, and not over analyzed.
I wish I was the headlight on a northbound train.
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

#84895 2 years, 10 months ago
I still find it intriguing that I write an opinion about a subject on this forum where I hail the positive qualities of my favorite band. Present an open question to start a dialogue in order to communicate with other deaheads on the forum and instead of thoughtful constructive responses the comments I am accused of being ungrateful for the bands commitment, having an ego problem and basically told that I am being an unreasonable and negative person. Reading through my post I can't help but feel like I was misjudged and rake over the coals for a cordial request. You guys sound like youd be shitty friends. Yes I am a musician. I play guitar mainly I just finished building my first there are posts about this elsewhere. I can also play the bass, banjo, piano, and can noodle pretty fiercely on a harmonica and just about any other instrument because I grew having multiple weekly classes and chorus for 11the years before high school. I have been playing seriously for over a decade and I know my gear and electronics. So once again...sit on it

I enjoy shows more than most of you could understand and have grownup with the music my whole life. In fact like my family it has been the one constant in my life for the last 27 years. I go to so many shows because I do find something to enjoy in every show just like I find something to enjoy with every breath I take. I wish this forum wasn't so rife with negativity and conjecture abouthe peoples personal lives who are on it. Most ofof you guys kinda suck in that department.
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by Dire Wolf.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shakeit
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds