• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

Setlists getting Uninspired in Tune rotation?!

#84814 2 years, 8 months ago
It seems what attracted me to Furthur since the Oakland shows was that I would be provided with the opportunity to not only see some of my favorite accompanying musicians play with some of members of my favorite band. The other point of interest was the possibility of hearing songs performed by Furthur which I had not previously had the chance to hear played live.

At the start of Furthur's career it did seem like they were keeping the setlist fresh and with new material being brought out. However lately the I have been feeling the opposite. It appears to me now after going to 50+ shows that tours are turning into greatest hits compilations and the Furthur aspect of the music has been put on hold. I like that the two new mountain songs by the band have made it into a steady rotation and I am very happy that they have brought back colours of the rain. But the setlists as of late are lacking the "new" and seem to be becoming stagnant in their song rotation with larger numbers or repeats throughout a tour between shows that are only a day or so apart.

I understand there are many tours the dead did where setlists were consistent and the music was still rocking but when there is a finite number of Furthur shows to be had one could only ask to not hear help>slip>franklin again and ask for some deeper cuts or thicker material. Not to say that I haven't heard almost all songs I have wanted to hear, it's just that after this many shows since 2009 I could use a few breaths of fresh air again. The music is still rocking and I have a fantastic time at shows I just wish that Jill would stop going off what makes the public happy and try a few things that make Deadheads happy. Come on Jill challenge us here a little bit!!! We're up for it I promise!!

A band that has such a large songbook and so many avid music lovers for fans should be playing a larger number of tunes. Here is list to give an example not too mention JGB tunes:

blow away
picasso moon
monkey and the engineer
tangled up in blue
ballad of a thin man
baba o'riley
victim or the crime
desolation row
hey pocky way
i fought the law
samba in the rain
lazing lightning/ supplication
my brother esau
race is on
to lay me down
we can run
you win again
tons of steel

It appears to me that between the 10 hour drives in the opposite driving direction of the flow of the tour for single shows, ie. wilkes-barre from portland....Atlantic city to buffalo that they are trying to break up the touring scene that follows them to every event giving towns a break so that the band will be welcomed back. It would also appear that the compartmentalizing of sections of the tours has contributed to the stagnant setlists as a new region means new fans who want to hear the classics not abstract cuts, little known covers, or songs from long ago. Therefore the people who travel from show to show are hearing and from run to run hear such a large portion of the music repeated instead of the new tunes and treats popping up with relative frequency. I know the band can handle it musically, they've got the chops for it!!
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by Dire Wolf.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fourwnds
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

Re: Setlists getting Boring?!

#84817 2 years, 8 months ago
Some thoughtful comments. I think you may be on to something with the strange touring schedule. I have to mull this over awhile before I comment furthur.

But here is a graphic that helps make your point, from the stat geeks at The Barn.

The small faint songs are played often, the larger ones less so, the bold songs are rare, the colored ones are break outs or very rare

www.thebarnpresents.com/visual-setlists-...-tour-2011-3633.html

and this one is by the numbers:

www.thebarnpresents.com/song-statistics/...rotation-infographic
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by Terrapin Sedation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dire Wolf
Tmglf2
Platinum Boarder
Without love in a dream, it will never come true.

#84818 2 years, 8 months ago
I really DON'T think they are boring atll. I find myself saying what's left only to be pleasantly surprised by the shows setlist night after night so far. I think the lack of breakouts this tour stems fro the fact that after the last western tour the band opted for sorely needed rest rather than practice time, which is where they work out breakouts. I am not surprised or disappointed by a smaller book of tunes so far. This tour for me has been about execution of songs. It's not what they play its how they play it. Albany for me will be my last show this tour till new years and I can't wait and bet I get well thought out setlist that surprises me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: deadontherivet, St.Stephenhead
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder

#84819 2 years, 8 months ago
Tmglf2 wrote:
I really DON'T think they are boring atll. I find myself saying what's left only to be pleasantly surprised by the shows setlist night after night so far. I think the lack of breakouts this tour stems fro the fact that after the last western tour the band opted for sorely needed rest rather than practice time, which is where they work out breakouts. I am not surprised or disappointed by a smaller book of tunes so far. This tour for me has been about execution of songs. It's not what they play its how they play it. Albany for me will be my last show this tour till new years and I can't wait and bet I get well thought out setlist that surprises me.

i agree with you but i can tell by your comments that you did not actually read what i posted and only responded to the title meant to draw people in. Albany will be my last show too but after 50+ shows, 60 by the time NYE is over I can't help but want something new because GOOD PLAYING AND EXECUTION NO LONGER SURPRISES ME AT A FURTHUR SHOW...I ALREADY KNOW TO EXPECT THAT!
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder

#84820 2 years, 8 months ago
The music is still rocking and I have a fantastic time at shows I just wish that Jill would stop going off what makes the public happy and try a few things that make Deadheads happy. Come on Jill challenge us here a little bit!!! We're up for it I promise!!

PS. rest means rest, ie. not touring all the time. not playing the same songs endlessly that is not restful just slacker. i'd rather go to fewer shows with more practice in between with the return to an even higher level for the next tour than spend hard earned money and time on a tour that the band is intending to make a restful paycheck!
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#84821 2 years, 8 months ago
I think boring is an unfortunate word. Nothing boring about any shows I've been to.

Not sure that unimaginative or routine are the right words either.

One thing to consider is not just the songs, but the song placement. It is hard to predict what is coming next sometimes.

For instance, the other night at Wilkes Barre they did the traditional Estimated>Eyes, which was 80s style. and I don't believe that tandem is matched quite as often anymore. But then what really mixed it up was the Fire out of Eyes, which was totally unexpected and really worked well.

That whole show actually had a lot of suprises, you might want to check it out. The Weight, Mean Mr. Mustard, Knockin on Heavens Door, Dear Prudence, Big Bad Blues, Casey Jones
The following user(s) said Thank You: St.Stephenhead
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder

#84822 2 years, 8 months ago
i will check it out but again my point is I went to all the shows they played those tunes at, multiple times. you guys also have to remember i've been to probably more than double the Furthur shows that most have been to on this forum so I've seen a lot of repeats...maybe its time to take a break after NYE
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder
The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay

#84823 2 years, 8 months ago
I couldnt agree more.
Victim or the crime...bobby special.
Samba in the rain.....fun to dance to with Phils mean samba bassline.
Picasso Moon.....just kickass !
brother essau....better start praying for that miracle to occur. probably the best song ever in the history of the human race...just kidding...its pretty fuckin up there though.

Last nights first set was pretty cool.
Cassidy > just a little light.
many of the setlists dont gel very well though at all. I like your reference to the greatest hits compilation.
far from me is great as well. i wish they would play pockey way too. estimated prophet really isnt played enough.
victim or the crime should def get i9n the lineup. Tom thumb blues?....phil special
Tmglf2
Platinum Boarder
Without love in a dream, it will never come true.

#84834 2 years, 8 months ago
I too would love to hear something new like keep your lamps trimmed and burning every show. As far as them designing the tour as crazy as this one I don't think it's so they can play favorites often and don't have to pull out their a game, again I disagree. I think the logistics dictate the venues and dates. Hell this tour nearly killed me with the driving plus fitting in work has been a real drag but they are doing also. More break outs yeah count me in but I'd rather they are well rested and playin the way they are. Keep the flow and energy high like it is and I'll go as often as I can.
I've seen these guys 60 times also and think this is the best tour so far. I'm happy I'm on it and can't label setlists boring.
We're blessed to have these guys at all!
Peace, Tim
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by Tmglf2.
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#84842 2 years, 8 months ago
The first five songs in the second set at MSG were all repeats for me this tour. That said I still enjoyed MSG very much. I can still hear that opening Phil bomb on Shakedown at MSG in my head. The next three songs were all played in Portland but much later in the set there. I agree this is not a touring friendly tour but I am very Grateful and loved the three shows I went to!
Time to create page: 0.56 seconds