Fresh Boarder

Genius set list C'ville

#84323 2 years, 11 months ago

Attachment CVILLE 11-08-11.docx not found

kbrownva@msn.com
Fresh Boarder

Re: Genius set list C'ville

#84325 2 years, 11 months ago
‘Unusual events - unraveled this week - climaxing with a Furthur show on Tuesday, and ending with a funeral on Friday. A young man I know died of a brain aneurysm last Friday, November 5th. I coached him for four years in tennis – his nickname was “Hutch.” On top of that, another friend lost a young man in their family who had children of his own -high school aged; my father’s best friend is on his death bed; my father-in law is in the hospital…you get the picture…So I was in a haze - funk all day questioning everything – why?…why am I living in the hills of Virginia, instead of in the D.C. area with my beloved, remaining family members?…but I love the mountains – I tell myself - and the slower pace… I tell myself …without relief during these down times….finally the sun sets on this painful day only to find myself at UVA’s John Paul Jones arena to see the remaining members of my favorite rock band (Bob Wier and Phil Lesh of the Grateful Dead) uniting with new and energetic band members that tap into the genius of Bobby and Phil – a band called – Furthur.
I was in a below- sea- level mood, despite the gorgeous weather, and it was going to take a Miracle to get me out of this funk…and that is just what happened – second song – I Need a Miracle – in which the crowd chants repeatedly “I Need a Miracle Every day!” Don’t we all ---sometimes ---Need a Miracle Everyday? On days like this –yes -I Need a Miracle! I need a Miracle (the band says, as we sing along)!
Rewind…earlier in the day, I had stopped at Whole Foods in Charlottesville to pick up some salads for my son’s girlfriend attending UVA… as I was in the parking lot…. I hear the delightful song“Friend of the Devil,” on satellite radio…This is the first early/folk Grateful Dead song that I became familiar with, it is an Americana song – no one can deny….this incident momentarily brought me back to my first college house in the mountains of Maryland in 1982, with a roommate that I lost in a car accident a year later – wow…beautiful song – reminds me of youth, reminds me of the mountains, reminds me of life, reminds me of mortality, and reminds me of how much the Lord has loved me to give me such a good life – did they play it? -- Of course, next song (the Grateful Dead/ Furthur has such an enormous repertoire of music - there is no telling what they will play from night to night – so hearing this -- was one in a list of special tracks that I was to hear on this special night).
…okay back to the show – 3 or 4 songs later – Cumberland Blues….poignant song relating to the conditions of the past economies and the current economy and – living in the mountains, more specifically Appalachian Mountains (which I can see from my home)….besides that the band was cranking up energy and playing harder and faster, as I began to dance with my cohorts…then ...intermission….I noticed a guy dressed up like a Catholic Bishop walking around on the floor….wow.
The band comes back and this is what they opened with:
CELEBRATION: lyrics:
Celebration in the wind
Open the doors, let the show begin
Come with your trouble, your sweat and strain
Check 'em all at the door with your grief and pain

Celebration, like days of old
When everything was solid gold

Let a fresh wind tear through your soul
Swallow your sorrow and deliver you whole
Give you reason to believe again
But finish that prayer before you say Amen
Then into…WARF RAT: calling on the band’s San Francisco home: lyrics:
But I’ll get back on my feet again someday,
The good Lord willin’, if he says I may.

I’ll get a new start, live the life I should.
I’ll get up and fly away, I’ll get up and fly away, fly away

Then…HE’S GONE: “Hutch” is gone, as is my own Father, and Jerry Garcia (who wrote the song):
Now he's gone, now he's gone Lord he's gone, he's gone.
Like a steam locomotive, rollin' down the track
He's gone, gone, nothin's gonna bring him back...He's gone.

Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.
Lost one round but the price wasn't anything,
A knife in the back and more of the same.
Later…NEW SPEEDWAY BOOGIE: lyrics:

I spent a little time on the mountain; I spent a little time on the hill
I heard someone say "Better run away", others say "better stand still".
I spent a little time on the mountain, I spent a little time on the hill
Things went down we don't understand, but I think in time we will.
BUT THESE WERE THE WORDS I NEEDED TO HEAR:
One way or another, one way or another,
One way or another, this darkness got to give.
One way or another, one way or another,
One way or another, this darkness got to give.
(Band played and replayed this chant with the audience)!

CAUTION: Then into Caution – high charged beautiful jam song from 1967 – the Grateful Dead, never played during the 80s when I saw them – chorus:
And she told me, man she said, all you need, all you need,
She said all you got to have, oh Lord,
We all know what we need – God & Love. Just the title itself “Caution” (be careful)…this music was so incredibly charged….then into:
TIME: by Pink Floyd – I’ve seen Pink Floyd play this song – and believe me this band did it justice – plus the context of the set list – even more meaningful.
…FEELING MY MORTALITY…the lyrics:
And you run, and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking!
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death!

Every year is getting shorter
Never seem to find the time
Home, home again
I like to be here when I can
When I come home cold and tired
It's good to warm my bones beside the fire

…. into DEATH DON’T HAVE NO MERCY IN THIS LAND:-lyrics:

Death Will Leave You Standing And Crying In This Land,
Death Will Leave You Standing And Crying In This Land, In This Land, Yeah!
Death Will Go In Any Family In This Land.
Come To Your House, you know he don't take long.

THEY PLAYED ALL OF THIS AS IF DELIVERING US FROM THE PAIN OF IT ALL, AND SETTING US DOWN IN A PLACE OF COMFORT, FAMILIARITY, AND REST (I wonder – who else in the crowd noticed this?...Home…Home again).

Later… NOT FADE AWAY:
My love is bigger than a Cadillac!
Love’s for real will not fade Away
You know our love will not fade away

ENCORE: ITS ALL OVER NOW BABY BLUE & I STARTED HEADING HOME WITH THESE WORDS:
You must leave now, take what you need, you think will last
But whatever you wish to keep, you better grab it fast
Look out the saints are comin' through
And it's all over now, Baby Blue.

The highway is for gamblers, better use your sense
Take what you have gathered from coincidence
This sky, too, is folding under you
And it's all over now, Baby Blue.

“Hutch” had Blue eyes and so do I…Did Furthur know what I was going through? Whatever…the choice of songs was truly beautiful and unbelievable to me in my little world – very healing? On that night, Furthur met me at my place of grief, they appeared to understood me, and all of us in our moments of pain – as true artists do…thankfully, they healed me, and sent me home to mountains…”I spend a little time on the Mountain! I spend a little time on the Hill!” “One way or another – this darkness – has got to end.” And it always does – thanks Robert Hunter for those lyrics
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#84333 2 years, 11 months ago
Thanks for the great post. I'm glad the music found you!
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#84339 2 years, 11 months ago
Wow,wow. That was touching. Just another huge reason why I do love gd. It always seems when certain things are going on in you life that are good or bad there songs always put things in perspective. It great feeling when that happens. That's why I keep coming back.

Great story!!!!!!
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds