• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Kind_Head
Junior Boarder

Re: Last night "loser"

#84939 2 years, 5 months ago
I get the vibe there are LOTS of politics involved with this band. A lot of my friends agree when I say JKs style has really strayed from jerry's since the first times I saw them in 2010. I also get the feeling JK really holds back sometimes.. and not because he wants to but because he needs to make room for the rest of the band. Which is also what makes them so unique... sometimes I can hear bobs guitar over JKs solo. Which goes against any traditional way of mixing a live band. But they are kind of doing their own thing and I totally respect it. Developing their own sound while still staying true to the reasons we are all there in the first place!
I can see how you would be disapointed hearing bob sing Loser. The first loser I heard them do was this year at red rocks and i would have been really bummed if bob sang it. There is just some songs he should sing and some he should not. Its like if he were to sing rueben and cherise... just doesnt work IMHO!

Bottom line is theres a lot of politics involved that none of us will probably ever understand... I could sit and critique the band all day (literally) but in the end they still sound amazing and im just happy they are still playing and happy I am able to be apart of it all!
Forever and ever Grateful!!
In the end theres just a song.. Its cryin' down the wind!
lastleaffallen
Junior Boarder
mindmelt

#85461 2 years, 5 months ago
I wish Ace would sing Althea some of the times. I like when they switch up who sings what and alternate verses. Keeps it fresher for us and them. Anyway Ratdog Loser's always hit a special place for me so it wouldn't bother me much, though JK does nail it usually. Most always the solo is solid. Anyhow I think Ace has more of a write to sing songs he wrote music for and has played longer if he chooses, just like Phil. I love Phil on NPC, but JK nailed Birdsong (Asheville). Political inside no doubt, but organization can be a good thing.

Anyway, the sets are looking as fresh as ever to me and they sound great minus Bob's feedback and buzzing
", two eagles hang against a cloud."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kind_Head
OtherOne
Junior Boarder

#85552 2 years, 5 months ago
Can't believe they took Loser away from JK, he really shined on that one. Bob seems to do this regulary. Originally JK also sang lead on Help and China Cat, but now Bob sings the majority of it and it sounds much, much worse. For the love of God turn the volume up on JK's guitar and let the man sing!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kind_Head
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#85588 2 years, 5 months ago
lastleaffallen wrote:
I wish Ace would sing Althea some of the times. I like when they switch up who sings what and alternate verses. Keeps it fresher for us and them. Anyway Ratdog Loser's always hit a special place for me so it wouldn't bother me much, though JK does nail it usually. Most always the solo is solid. Anyhow I think Ace has more of a write to sing songs he wrote music for and has played longer if he chooses, just like Phil. I love Phil on NPC, but JK nailed Birdsong (Asheville). Political inside no doubt, but organization can be a good thing.

Anyway, the sets are looking as fresh as ever to me and they sound great minus Bob's feedback and buzzing

i will probably be in tears if bob takes althea away from john, normally i don't mind if bob wants to sing a song he hasn't ruined any songs for me i don't mind him singing on loser or sugaree but althea is my favorite song and is almost sacred in my heart i would probably walk out if bob were to sing it...may sound harsh i do love bobby a lot but please not althea you can have any song but that please

also this is only my personal take no offense meant by my comments
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
Kind_Head
Junior Boarder

#86302 2 years, 5 months ago
OtherOne wrote:
For the love of God turn the volume up on JK's guitar and let the man sing!!

Hhahaa! I love it.
I agree that organization can be good, a nd I love the way the band is mixed. But I would really love to hear JK's tone be cleaned up jussst a tad and the level brought up. He needs to dust off those rusty strings and make em SHINE!!
In the end theres just a song.. Its cryin' down the wind!
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#86434 2 years, 5 months ago
This is exactly how I feel, I'm glad I'm not alone. You think JK said wtf in his head when Bobby wanted to sing loser? It must lower his self esteem or his confidence. I feel bad for him a little. Ya I hear Bobby over JK in his solo too and it makes no since.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
Chuck_Woolery
Visitor

#86454 2 years, 5 months ago
Yup, I've watched and heard Weir unceremoniously step forward and cut JK off during some very inspired moments... as if he doesn't hear what's unfolding. The man has earned the right to do what he wants with the rhythm/lead interaction, IMO, but it is a bit of a letdown sometimes.

Also agree they need to TURN HIM UP. Its the freakin lead guitar!! Don't muddy it up.
Time to create page: 0.44 seconds