• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Bakes
Platinum Boarder
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone....

Re: The Clapper - does anyone know who he is??

#89964 2 years, 10 months ago
I appreciate the forewarning.
stricken
Gold Boarder

#90017 2 years, 10 months ago
Bakes wrote:
So in order of importance, who best to avoid standing by at a festival?

Yappers
Cell phone picture takers/videoers
Cell phone talkers
Jesus spinner guy in dress
clap on, clap off people
nasty dreads in your face
hula hoopers
Stumbling drunk people
Singers (not just the verse but the whole damn song!)

Once stood by a guy who was singing into a phone with nasty dreads stumbling drunk while spinning a hula hoop
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#90028 2 years, 10 months ago
ugggg! the clapping guy from the Vegas show.... i want to kick him in the balls!!!!!! he totally ruined my audience recording to the point that i can't even listen to it. he also ruined all the other audience recordings. i try to be very tollerant of the manner in which people enjoy the shows, but that guy was way over the line. i was quite high for that show, and when i indulge i'm normally more accutely aware of these types of distractions. for some reason at Vegas i remember thinking that the clapper was annoying, but that the taper's section was far enough away that the mics would not really pick it up.... boy was i wrong. there was another taper next to me who was very annoyed by the clapping guy and went as far as shining a light in his face a few times and motioned to him to shut up. nothing could get the guy to stop the clapping.

sometimes it's hard to know whether your should or should not ask people to mellow out who might be causing a disruption... especially if you or the person causing the disturbance are high. however, after Vegas i've decided that action needs to be taken if there is a severe disturbance that reduces other people's enjoyment of the show. if someone's version of fun causes other people to have less fun and goes as far as ruining the audience recordings, i don't think such behavior should be tolerated.
stricken
Gold Boarder

#90034 2 years, 10 months ago
taper.tsquare wrote:
ugggg! the clapping guy from the Vegas show.... i want to kick him in the balls!!!!!! he totally ruined my audience recording to the point that i can't even listen to it. he also ruined all the other audience recordings. i try to be very tollerant of the manner in which people enjoy the shows, but that guy was way over the line. i was quite high for that show, and when i indulge i'm normally more accutely aware of these types of distractions. for some reason at Vegas i remember thinking that the clapper was annoying, but that the taper's section was far enough away that the mics would not really pick it up.... boy was i wrong. there was another taper next to me who was very annoyed by the clapping guy and went as far as shining a light in his face a few times and motioned to him to shut up. nothing could get the guy to stop the clapping.

sometimes it's hard to know whether your should or should not ask people to mellow out who might be causing a disruption... especially if you or the person causing the disturbance are high. however, after Vegas i've decided that action needs to be taken if there is a severe disturbance that reduces other people's enjoyment of the show. if someone's version of fun causes other people to have less fun and goes as far as ruining the audience recordings, i don't think such behavior should be tolerated.

Sorry to hear about vegas and it wasnt me but i do get around to alot of east coast shows and like you i paid the same amount for the ticket its sorta like maybe we need a clapping section. And please dont take this wrong but 99% of the time the quality of recorded shows are not worth the space they take up on files. I find you cant get better sound then right out of the board.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#90035 2 years, 10 months ago
taper.tsquare wrote:

sometimes it's hard to know whether your should or should not ask people to mellow out who might be causing a disruption...

If they are ruining the tapes (you obviously can't move very much once set up) I'd definitely (politely) ask them to please be quiet or move. At one of my earlier shows I was inadvertently making too much noise near the tapers (I think I was screaming something like "spit on me bobby" or "let phil sing"). I was spaced and I thought I was funny. I'm glad someone "showed me the light", now I know to try to stay away from that area if I want to get a little loud (like clapping - not ocd style, more like with the nfa's......)
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#90040 2 years, 10 months ago
scar1et_f1re wrote:
taper.tsquare wrote:

sometimes it's hard to know whether your should or should not ask people to mellow out who might be causing a disruption...

If they are ruining the tapes (you obviously can't move very much once set up) I'd definitely (politely) ask them to please be quiet or move. At one of my earlier shows I was inadvertently making too much noise near the tapers (I think I was screaming something like "spit on me bobby" or "let phil sing"). I was spaced and I thought I was funny. I'm glad someone "showed me the light", now I know to try to stay away from that area if I want to get a little loud (like clapping - not ocd style, more like with the nfa's......)

i agree with you. most times people are just having fun, don't realize how close they are to the tapers, and are totally unaware that their clapping, yelling, etc. are being picked up on tape. in most cases the things that people normally do at a show have no negative impact on audience recordings because the mics are at leat 8 feet in the air, far above the crowd activity. in those cases where someone is being too disruptive i let them know in a polite way that they are right next to the taper's section, and 99% of the time they are totally cool about it. it is very, very rare that people refuse to stop or get very bitchy. the clapping guy at Vegas is definitely an extreme case.
Griff
Expert Boarder
Don't you see........

#90306 2 years, 10 months ago
Hi All.

Well for the most part this thread has been absolutely hilarious. Just a great reminder why I like hanging out with you all so much.

Clapping - like I said, we all have our ways of interpeting the music. I am sure my dancing must loook funny/strange but I just have to do it!! I am certainly not against clapping/singing/whistling and so on.

I am all for being able to enjoy the show w/o distractions (talking is the worst to me). I had some folks at the Greek Pit that were singing and whistling and yelling Jerry Junior to John. Now that is just crossing the line.

And for making Aud recodings w/o distractions.

Tsquare - your recordings are great bro. Keep up the good work!!
Daisy Mae
Expert Boarder

#90394 2 years, 10 months ago
I remember in the early 80's there was a guy that got swept up on tour that used to slap the top of his thighs throughout the whole show. I guess he never changed his pants 'cause at the end of that tour he had worn two holes clean through his jeans. I think he's the same guy that showed up on the next tour in a football jersey and calypso style pants where the ruffles were made of bandanas and colorful rags. He always had a big smile on his face, like the world had show him something beautiful, heretofore unknown.

I remember when guys in skirts were a dime a dozen. A phenomena unique to Dead shows, I believe. I don't care what anyone wears as long as they don't smell bad. That's rough.
Chuck_Woolery
Visitor

#90396 2 years, 10 months ago
Bakes wrote:
So in order of importance, who best to avoid standing by at a festival?

Yappers
Cell phone picture takers/videoers
Cell phone talkers
Jesus spinner guy in dress
clap on, clap off people
nasty dreads in your face
hula hoopers
Stumbling drunk people
Singers (not just the verse but the whole damn song!)

Now that's some funny sh*t! I gotta take yappers on that one. STFU!!!

I think the simple rule is to respect other people. If your behavior interferes with someone else's ability to enjoy the show you should reconsider. Jubilation is one thing, I love to scream out in appreciation as much as the next guy, and the band loves audience feedback. But imposing your own audio interpretation on others is selfish. You can control your mouth but they cant control their ears, at least if they want to hear the show. So respect it, or u r selfish. Simple, really.

Same with dancing. I love watching people interpret the music, especially folks who really groove on it and make geometric shapes in time and stuff. LOVE it. But if they are bumping in and out of people trying to get in their own groove, it's selfish.

Smelling bad is a tough one. If it's bad enough you can make someone lose their lunch. So it can interfere with a good trip from time time. I suggest common sense prevails on that one, but I don't judge people on it.

We all want those moments when time stands still and the whole venue is in sync.. band and fans... it won't happen if alot if people are selfish.

Buy clapping OCD dude some mittens for Xmas!!!
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds