• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Cornjulio
Junior Boarder

Re: Furthur needs a new FOH guy.

#9830 3 years, 4 months ago
lookatitright wrote:

There's 1 thing I can promise you. The sound at Shoreline will be miserable as always, although I can hope Furthur does something to address this (noise laws in mountain view I believe keep the levels down) My hometown venue and I can't stand it. Sound is muddled in the pavillion and non existent on the lawn, made sure to get tickets in the 100 section so I can hear the band. I will never, ever sit on that lawn again. The place is litterally a dump

Here's the deal with Shoreline.

Sections 102 and the inside half of 101/103 are great.

In the 200's you need to be in the lower half and the three Center Sections. Get above the speaker height and you are screwed. Higher than Row M the sound deteriorates rapidly.

That's assuming they bring enough gear to the shows.
theothrone
Senior Boarder
-

#9844 3 years, 4 months ago
wall of sound for the win
it's an obsession but it's pleasing
lookatitright
Junior Boarder

#9850 3 years, 4 months ago
That's assuming they bring enough gear to the shows.

///////////////////////

Isn't it time for that with the size of venues being played?
PeggyO
Fresh Boarder

#9862 3 years, 4 months ago
I'm surprised to hear that the sound is an issue, again. We first saw Furthur during their first NYE run and while it was a fun show, the sound sucked pretty badly. The drums were almost nil in the mix, and you could barely hear Phil, IIRC. Jeff was rather "in the distance" as well. Not really acceptable for any show, but for their first NYE run I was a bit surprised.

Fast forward 8 months later and the sound mix seemed to have been resolved and things sounded great, and beefy rich. Drums were crisp and clear, could hear Phil, Jeff, it was all good. Ditto this past NYE, if memory served me. So I'm surprised to hear there's been a slip. With ticket prices the way they are, it seems that this should be worked out before the summer tour. There's not really any excuse if you ask me. Yeah everyone can have an off day at work, but come on, these guys should be tweaking the sound mix well before the show begins, with sound people placed around the venue in different spots to hear what it's sounding like in all the venue areas.
~ Once in awhile you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right ~
jbyerly
Junior Boarder

#9868 3 years, 4 months ago
I'd be curious to here how the Fl. shows "sounded"
Philzone Phan
Vincent Van Gogh
Fresh Boarder

#9875 3 years, 4 months ago
We Want Healy!!!!
FaceOnMars
Junior Boarder
Listen To The Flower People

#9906 3 years, 4 months ago
I generally agree that sound has been somewhat lacking at times at some venues.

Not exactly sure why, maybe it had something to do with the steep pitch of the bowl, but the sound at the soundboard @ furthur fest last year was superb IMO! Best I've heard in 16 shows ... although the tradeoff was that it was a little thin at "ground level".
spinneresque108
Junior Boarder

#10025 3 years, 4 months ago
Shoreline is the ultimate challenge! Please prove us wrong.
BigDad
Fresh Boarder

#10174 3 years, 4 months ago
A conspiracy theorist would wonder how Featherstone is related to Jill
kamloops rainbow
Junior Boarder

#10258 3 years, 4 months ago
string up the sound guy because the band sucks the life out of the room sometimes......real deadhead like, be cool to brother dereck f.....where are the kind words for his efforts?
The following user(s) said Thank You: amazish, SkiNose
amazish
Junior Boarder

#10269 3 years, 4 months ago
This is all very interesting. My father saw the Dead in 81 82 and 86 87, and always tells me how the sound was absolutely pristine. Clear, big, not overpowering but still very loud. [Analogue!!] I saw Phil and Friends at the Greek and at Frost in 2002. The sound was phenomenal! It was clear everywhere I went and all instruments and vocals were very present and clear. I'm guessing it is clearly not the same engineer and sound company...
I'm sorry to hear about the bad sound some of you are talking about... For the same reasons mentioned here - Phil's got the most amazing bass sound out there. Bobby has an amazing and unique sound. And all the other musicians too are so great. So it's a bit of a drag to hear that they are not clearly projected out in the various venues.

I think Phil is probably taking what you guys are writing here under consideration....

Anyway, we all do listen with the brain and mind more than with our ears. I can listen to a bad tape and feel like I'm at the show.... So keep Rockin and Rollin' regardless! Cheers
drpsilocybo
Junior Boarder
Trying to find a peacefull song

#10586 3 years, 4 months ago
with the large outdoor sheds they're playing this summer I'm sure they are going to invest in better sound.
the shows at shoreline should be a good test
Time to create page: 4.14 seconds