Junior Boarder

Re: Furthur needs a new FOH guy.

#8437 3 years, 3 months ago
Ya having my ears in ESP detection mode seems to work
lookatitright
Junior Boarder

#8519 3 years, 3 months ago
Agree wholeheartedly regarding the foh sound (the buried thousand mile away "matrix" vocals of the official releases is another question--how can a 2011 "board" sound worse than a 71, 85???). The FOH is mixed without warmth and without much modification during the show. Bob is also sinfully low.

How is this the best that can be done in 2011--the band is far outshining its sound, which is a shame. Same with the awful official hollow sounding sbd releases. Something much better should be done to document what these guys are doing. Just listen to a TD or Ratdog official release--night and day.
drpsilocybo
Junior Boarder
Trying to find a peacefull song

#8525 3 years, 3 months ago
I feel like the sound is often lacking in warmth, and clarity
I hope that they address the problem before summer tour
Okie
Junior Boarder
I Miss Jerry.

#8528 3 years, 3 months ago
I usually hang out around the soundboard off and on at shows and of the Furthur shows that I have seen I have observed their sound guy doing not much at all during the show. Kind of like a "set it and forget it" type of thing. I thought the sound in St. Louis last Fall was very lackluster and needed major adjustments at certain periods of time all to no avail. I also wonder why their guy doesn't make adjustments during the performances. It really is strange. Hopefully they will take this criticism to heart and do whatever it takes to make the sound as good as the band itself because they really are tearin' it up these days.

Listenin' to the secret, searchin' for THE SOUND.
"In the land of the dark, the ship of the sun is driven by the Grateful Dead"
lookatitright
Junior Boarder

#8538 3 years, 3 months ago
The adjustments, or lack thereof, really differentiate Featherstone from the Healey years. Here's hoping he becomes more active and walks around once in awhile-and turns Bob's vocals up to where they should/used to be.
FickleHillRoad
Fresh Boarder

#8591 3 years, 3 months ago
I'm glad to see this discussion. I was at the Charleston show 4/2 and I also have to say that out of 100+ GD/JGB/Furthur shows, this was by far the absolute worst sound I have ever heard. I actually considered taking my mother to finally see a show and thankfully decided not too. It would have sucked for her. I was 4 rows off the floor on JK's side about ten rows back from the stage. First off, it was painfully too loud. My ears were fatigued by the second song. The vocals were so horribly muddled. My wife, who is not a head, commented that she couldn't make out any of the words. My ears were still ringing the next day. Could also barely hear Bob's guitar. Such a shame. I always speak with pride about how the GD had the most amazing, full, sound without EVER being too loud. What I experienced 4/2 was disappointing. I hope these sentiments get through to the band and it gets worked out right. Hate to sound like a whiner, but its 2011 and there is no excuse for miserable sound.

By the way, the show and this band are awesome, can't wait to go again.
jbyerly
Junior Boarder

#8594 3 years, 3 months ago
At the New Hampshire last year I would agree 100%. I was in sec 112, 5 up from the floor at N Charleston. the Line arrays were pointed my direction and the sound was fantastic. Most of what I'm hearing has Phil's bass no where to be found. I actually heard him Saturday night for the first part of the first set and then he turned down. I have not heard enough board cd's to make a judgement but I have SC & Atlanta coming so I will see

ps as I read the posts. I agree that they started out very loud which I like every now and again but they seemed to tame that as the night went on

I do hope with the boys listen and put some pressure on the FOH mixer to be more attentive.
Philzone Phan
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by jbyerly.
FickleHillRoad
Fresh Boarder

#8601 3 years, 3 months ago
I was just to your left in sec 110. I'm curious, Did you find the vocals too loud and distorted?
legis225
Junior Boarder

#8643 3 years, 3 months ago
I've noticed a lot of clipping on the official SBDs. Has anyone else noticed this? The wavs look almost brickwalled.
lookatitright
Junior Boarder

#8660 3 years, 3 months ago
The GD always invested greatly in the sound system and it showed.

Furthur started out playing small venues and pretty much kept it as as a small budget operation. The backlash at the dead 09 ticket prices may have prompted this in part. they clearly went without the best sound system in their first go round.

They have now basically outgrown that, despite still playing a mix of theatres and larger venues. However it is imagined with this sound that they are still using less than fantastic equipment ( I know all the meyer talk but can't imagine it's other than experimental equipment). The reports of muddy vocals and less than full mix are not uncommon reports.

Phil. Cmon buddy. The music demands two things. One is the best equipment. The other is that featherstone be re- evaluated. The music being created is worthwhile of being heard.
bdog
Junior Boarder

#8679 3 years, 3 months ago
BRING BACK HEALY... TURN UP BOB'S MIC... PUT MORE OF THE BOARDS IN THESE MATRIX RELEASES!!!!!
www.kimocklist.net DJA 3/21/42-3/19/11
The following user(s) said Thank You: PeggyO
sea2speak
Fresh Boarder

#8739 3 years, 3 months ago
I was in the front of the loge section at the Fox show. While I didn't think the sound was as bad as some of the other folks posting, I did notice a lack of dynamics. Maybe the crowd on the floor, where the soundboard was, was noisier than up top, so the soundman felt like he had to turn everything up??
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by sea2speak.
Time to create page: 0.76 seconds