Re: Furthur needs a new FOH guy.

#9088 3 years, 4 months ago
@Jack_Straw "Sorry to harsh your mellow kind veggie rainbow sister"

Hey now brother you're speaking to my people
GreatestStoryEverTold
Expert Boarder

#9122 3 years, 4 months ago
Mabye the band will take our constructive criticisms and beef up the gear for the summer tour. poss they rolled with a smaller setup for this tour.
lookatitright
Junior Boarder

#9207 3 years, 4 months ago
Agreed--hopefully tptb will take this constructive criticism and take some action. The GD clearly cared about the deadhead experience, which included the sound.

I really believe Furthur wanted to start small and not be encumbered with the sucessor to the GD trappings-big rooms, media etc, and that explains the sound quality. They are now beyond that and they should embrace it. They know the ticket count they will yield and the numbers do pencil out. Here's hoping shoreline shows a new dedication to the sound.
lookatitright
Junior Boarder

#9706 3 years, 4 months ago
Needs a bump.
decree
Junior Boarder

#9812 3 years, 4 months ago
Have to agree with this thread.

Hampton sound was very noisy, seemed as if they tried to compensate with volume, which just added to the noise. Best sound I got all night was old fashioned noise reduction, fingers in the ears lightly, with hands cupped to increase the ear surface area.

The boards for Hampton are really good, IMHO, and definitely far better than the in house sound.

Charleston was OK, we were center floor FOB slightly left of board and it was pretty good, though I did do a lot of ear cupping for that show.

Atlanta, we were in row L, Center Left Orchestra inside aisle, John's side, and the sound was really good there, best of the three. Of course, that's a small room with a lot of sound deadening/management going on, so should have been the easiest to get right of the three I attended.

Hope they get this fixed for Summer Tour.
OtherOne
Junior Boarder

#9826 3 years, 4 months ago
lookatitright wrote:
Agreed--hopefully tptb will take this constructive criticism and take some action. The GD clearly cared about the deadhead experience, which included the sound.

I really believe Furthur wanted to start small and not be encumbered with the sucessor to the GD trappings-big rooms, media etc, and that explains the sound quality. They are now beyond that and they should embrace it. They know the ticket count they will yield and the numbers do pencil out. Here's hoping shoreline shows a new dedication to the sound.

There's 1 thing I can promise you. The sound at Shoreline will be miserable as always, although I can hope Furthur does something to address this (noise laws in mountain view I believe keep the levels down) My hometown venue and I can't stand it. Sound is muddled in the pavillion and non existent on the lawn, made sure to get tickets in the 100 section so I can hear the band. I will never, ever sit on that lawn again. The place is litterally a dump
Cornjulio
Junior Boarder

#9830 3 years, 4 months ago
lookatitright wrote:

There's 1 thing I can promise you. The sound at Shoreline will be miserable as always, although I can hope Furthur does something to address this (noise laws in mountain view I believe keep the levels down) My hometown venue and I can't stand it. Sound is muddled in the pavillion and non existent on the lawn, made sure to get tickets in the 100 section so I can hear the band. I will never, ever sit on that lawn again. The place is litterally a dump

Here's the deal with Shoreline.

Sections 102 and the inside half of 101/103 are great.

In the 200's you need to be in the lower half and the three Center Sections. Get above the speaker height and you are screwed. Higher than Row M the sound deteriorates rapidly.

That's assuming they bring enough gear to the shows.
theothrone
Senior Boarder
-

#9844 3 years, 4 months ago
wall of sound for the win
it's an obsession but it's pleasing
lookatitright
Junior Boarder

#9850 3 years, 4 months ago
That's assuming they bring enough gear to the shows.

///////////////////////

Isn't it time for that with the size of venues being played?
PeggyO
Fresh Boarder

#9862 3 years, 4 months ago
I'm surprised to hear that the sound is an issue, again. We first saw Furthur during their first NYE run and while it was a fun show, the sound sucked pretty badly. The drums were almost nil in the mix, and you could barely hear Phil, IIRC. Jeff was rather "in the distance" as well. Not really acceptable for any show, but for their first NYE run I was a bit surprised.

Fast forward 8 months later and the sound mix seemed to have been resolved and things sounded great, and beefy rich. Drums were crisp and clear, could hear Phil, Jeff, it was all good. Ditto this past NYE, if memory served me. So I'm surprised to hear there's been a slip. With ticket prices the way they are, it seems that this should be worked out before the summer tour. There's not really any excuse if you ask me. Yeah everyone can have an off day at work, but come on, these guys should be tweaking the sound mix well before the show begins, with sound people placed around the venue in different spots to hear what it's sounding like in all the venue areas.
~ Once in awhile you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right ~
Time to create page: 0.75 seconds