• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
legis225
Junior Boarder

Re: Furthur needs a new FOH guy.

#8643 3 years ago
I've noticed a lot of clipping on the official SBDs. Has anyone else noticed this? The wavs look almost brickwalled.
lookatitright
Junior Boarder

#8660 3 years ago
The GD always invested greatly in the sound system and it showed.

Furthur started out playing small venues and pretty much kept it as as a small budget operation. The backlash at the dead 09 ticket prices may have prompted this in part. they clearly went without the best sound system in their first go round.

They have now basically outgrown that, despite still playing a mix of theatres and larger venues. However it is imagined with this sound that they are still using less than fantastic equipment ( I know all the meyer talk but can't imagine it's other than experimental equipment). The reports of muddy vocals and less than full mix are not uncommon reports.

Phil. Cmon buddy. The music demands two things. One is the best equipment. The other is that featherstone be re- evaluated. The music being created is worthwhile of being heard.
bdog
Junior Boarder

#8679 3 years ago
BRING BACK HEALY... TURN UP BOB'S MIC... PUT MORE OF THE BOARDS IN THESE MATRIX RELEASES!!!!!
www.kimocklist.net DJA 3/21/42-3/19/11
The following user(s) said Thank You: PeggyO
sea2speak
Fresh Boarder

#8739 3 years ago
I was in the front of the loge section at the Fox show. While I didn't think the sound was as bad as some of the other folks posting, I did notice a lack of dynamics. Maybe the crowd on the floor, where the soundboard was, was noisier than up top, so the soundman felt like he had to turn everything up??
Last Edit: 3 years ago by sea2speak.
Jack_Straw
Junior Boarder

#8761 3 years ago
Sorry to harsh your mellow kind veggie rainbow sister but being a disciple of Dan Healy and Betty Boards I just couldn't contain my dissatisfaction anymore.

The sound prolly is great at the board but the every where else it is POOR, PISS POOR.

And the GD was always fanatical about bringing the best listening experience to their audiences.

Signed

Just another picky deadhead whose searching for the SOUND

ruby_claire wrote:
Damn, dude. sorry that your listening experience was less than stellar.

Even the best sound guys (or whatever) have bad days. I know how much it sucks to think that the performers sounded great, but that the person responsible for translating that to the audience has fucked up.

I have a kid who is a musician, and I have personally throttled a few dick sound guys for what I believed was intentional meddling with sound quality.

That being said, the Furthur shows I've seen recently have sounded phenomenal to me.

Perhaps perception is truly responsible for your negativbe response. I'm not saying for sure, just asking you to maybe consider it in there with all the other variables.

That's not to take away from the fact that you had a bad experience. I feel for you. Nobody likes to be looking forward to something and have it turn out other than they had hoped.

I just really hope you give it another shot and it turns out to be all that you'd dreamed it would be. : )))
cut his buddy down
Cornjulio
Junior Boarder

#8772 3 years ago
I could see how you might feel the sound is too loud if you happen to be directly in front of the speakers. Part of the problem may be they just don't have enough of the them to cover the larger rooms for the last week of the tour, so the ones they have need to be turned up.

Again, I just don't seem to be a fan of the new arrays where the speakers facing the floor (ever so slightly pointed out from Center) and the second set pointed at about a 45 degree angle. Yes, the sound at the worst seats is better. I'm sure they've figured out how to stop waves from conflicting with each other, but the sound isn't where it should be and has been in years gone by.

The Phish sound has also taken a turn for the worse since Paul left and they started using db speakers.

Meanwhile Waters and U2 sounded phenomenal in rather large places. They were using these guys from Penn. Might be worth a try for an east coast run:

clairglobal.com/clients/

clairglobal.com/news/
lookatitright
Junior Boarder

#8800 3 years ago
"Part of the problem may be they just don't have enough of the them to cover the larger rooms for the last week of the tour, so the ones they have need to be turned up."

That could be and goes back to starting Furthur in small rooms as no frills act-as opposed to the bloated TD 09, which I believe Bob and Phil were trying to get away from.

Even at red rocks leaning on the soundboard, the sound was good, but not great as you would expect in that location. Furthur is playing the big rooms now and is no longer low budget. Time to get the right amount of speakers, right quality, and get Featherstone involved in working the room. This band is on a roll and it should be captured commensurate with the playing.
spinneresque108
Junior Boarder

#8849 3 years ago
Agree about Red Rocks. I was right next to the soundboard and the sound was not as great as you would expect (especially given how close we were), in fact it was much better in the tapers section behind the soundboard. What I found bizarre about this was how close together these two spots were, and how much difference there was in the sound between them. (At this point I figured the tapers with 6-10' stands would capture the shows much better than the soundboards did, and this proved to be true.) At some point over the weekend I walked all around Red Rocks and was pretty shocked at how poorly the sound was carried throughout the venue.

That said, I had an amazing time! And I love Red Rocks. And the sound there can be unique and spectacular.

The one great sound experience I've had at these shows was at MSG when we were directly across from the Phil side suspended speaker array. RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE SPEAKERS. Move just a bit a way from a sweet spot and the difference is vast.

I'm really glad this discussion is going on...
jbyerly
Junior Boarder

#8945 3 years ago
Thinking about it, I did not find the vocals too loud but not always clear. I LOVED the mix on "Because", but no real complicated background to that. I could not always here Bobs guitar but it might be how Bob likes it mixed. The drums sounded the best I have heard out of any concert in years except maybe the mid 80's Maine shows.

great thread. I hope someone with a real input reads this thread with a grain salt knowing that we only want to SEE & HEAR THE BEST and thats why were there so much and were not actually stalking them

I always loved going Worcester, Ma because Jerry's vocals were always crisp & clear in that arena.
Philzone Phan
bokb
Senior Boarder
Be, okay? Be.

#8998 3 years ago
Yeah man, agreed. Frankly, I am sooooo grateful this band is here, that Phil is still here still rockin, and that Bobby seems so kick-started enthusiastic again! Soooo grateful that I can and will overlook forgotten lyrics, occasional sloppiness, etc. cuz "this may be the last time" ain't just a song lyric!
But dammit, I paid hard-won $$$ to travel and attend, and it'd be really f***ing nice to hear all the musicians. 3 shows I did, and all of 'em I had to wait for after the show, listening to the cd, to hear what Chimenti had been up to all that time. Phil's legendary tone was but a drone through all 3 shows, JK could've been using a little amp on the stage for all I know. Only Bobby was clear; crystal clear, up front above everyone including Russo, every scrape of the string was pristine. O-kay....
Fortunately, my ears were trained long ago by 8th gen. aud. tapes recorded on walkmans, so I can discern a great deal.
'Course that only cost me a blank and a stamp at worst......
If unable to dance, I'll crawl.
Time to create page: 0.78 seconds