JK Interview before JPJ

#81643 2 years, 8 months ago
here's a short interview with JK.

Furthur brings Grateful Dead tradition to JPJ

John Paul Jones Arena

By: JEDD FERRIS | Daily Progress correspondent
Published: November 04, 2011
» 0 Comments | Post a Comment

After nearly half a century, the long, strange trip of the Grateful Dead continues. While the band officially disbanded in 1995, after the untimely passing of iconic lead guitarist Jerry Garcia, surviving members have continued to interpret the group’s well-known brand of exploratory folk-rock with a variety of projects. The latest is Furthur — a collaboration helmed by Dead bassist Phil Lesh and guitar-wielding troubadour Bob Weir.

The group, which formed in 2009, is offering a revitalized spin on the Dead’s massive catalog with a lineup that includes New York City jazz-bred drummer Joe Russo, keyboardist Jeff Chimenti (a veteran of Weir’s other band, RatDog) and backing vocalists Sunshine Becker and Jeff Pehrson.

To fill the role of lead guitarist, Lesh and Weir tapped John Kadlecik — an ax slinger who previously spent the majority of his music career playing the role of Garcia in the Dark Star Orchestra, a Dead tribute group known for recreating the band’s shows in their entirety.

Like a minor leaguer being called up to the big show, Kadlecik is now playing alongside his idols. Ahead of Furthur’s Tuesday night appearance at John Paul Jones Arena, he chatted about the band and how he approaches playing the part of a rock legend.

Q: How would describe the way Furthur is interpreting the music of the Grateful Dead?

A: I look at it first and foremost as Bob [Weir] and Phil [Lesh] celebrating their musical friendship. For a musical collaboration to last the better part of a lifetime, I find it amazing. As far as the actual sound, everything is getting a little bit updated, and we mix up song sequences quite a bit compared to the historical Grateful Dead.

Also, as far back as our first rehearsals, we have also been working on new original material. Music should pull a wide variety of emotions out of people, not just nostalgia or comfort with familiarity. Those things are more important than whether it sounds like it used to.

Q: How has the music evolved in the nearly three years you’ve been playing together?

A: We’re getting to know each other better, so we know each other’s musical cues. We have gradually been getting a sense of each band member’s vocabulary, so we can nudge jams in different directions. Like a couple in a relationship, we’re getting better at completing each other’s sentences. It’s been a great experience being alongside Bob and Phil when they’re in the moment with improvisation. They’re the most challenging musicians I’ve ever collaborated with — challenging in a good way.

Q: In the beginning, what were Bob Weir and Phil Lesh’s instructions, as far as the role they wanted you to play?

A: They wanted me to bring my [Grateful Dead] repertoire expertise into the mix from my years in Dark Star Orchestra, but at the same time they didn’t want to be stuck with the old arrangements. I was tested early on about how flexible I could be when it comes to taking the music in new directions.

Q: Filling the role of Jerry Garcia next to his band mates has to be daunting. How do you approach it?

A: Playing with Dark Star Orchestra gave me an intense training for playing with Furthur, but it was an exercise in restraining my own personal musical influences to just Garcia. As a musician, I have a whole bunch of influences beyond him, so I wanted to bring different styles of improvisation into the jams and see how they could evolve.

Q: A variety of Dead side projects have been formed over the years. What’s the long-term outlook of this group?

A: This is first and foremost Bob and Phil’s project, so that question is one for them to field. I’m happy to be here as long as this band is rolling, and it looks like it’s rolling into the foreseeable future. But you never know with music; it’s a funny area.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by scar1et_f1re.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fourwnds, Shakeit, wlewis, Xonk, ecojaded
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

Re: JK Interview before JPJ

#81654 2 years, 8 months ago
thanks for the article, i wanted to go to this one cause its like 45 minutes from where i grew up and where my parents live but being a tuesday show it was difficult, should be an interesting mix of heads and greek life college kids there
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#81661 2 years, 8 months ago
pretty decent article, although i'm wondering why it says 3 years. technically furthur has only been playing for a little over 2 years...does anybody know how long they were rehearsaing before the fox shows? something tells me not a whole lot because john was with dark star through those shows into the first week of december, before that string of 5 NE shows, the 2 asbury parks being my firsts. i saw johns last 2 shows with DSO, rochester and buffalo respectively. i remember running into him before the syracuse show a few days prior to those and i told him how excited i was to see the furthur shows a week and a half from then, he said he was just as excited.

anyways, first ACTUAL furthur rehearsals??
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#81672 2 years, 8 months ago
I think you are right about the two years, or perhaps it's technically a bit more than 2 years. This is from a relix article that was published "earlier this year" (it was just republished online November 4, 2011)

"This occasion marked the second consecutive year that Bob Weir and Phil Lesh had welcomed Father Time and his multihued parade crew with the same full-time band."

www.relix.com/features/2011/11/04/dead-behind-furthur-ahead?1 <--- here is the entire article

I got confused reading an old Grateful Dead Almanac I received in the mail ~ 1995. The almanac that talks about Jerry's passing away had an ad for a Furthur Festival back in 1995 or so. There was no band furthur, I think Ratdog was on the bill (or perhaps it was Weir and Wasserman back there) plus other cool bands.

james wright
Junior Boarder

#81677 2 years, 8 months ago
From 96-98 and then again in 2000 there was a Furthur Festival first two years were Bobby, Mickey, and Hornsby's bands with other great bands like hot tuna Los lobos arlo guthrie ect... In 98 The first Other Ones were on the bill. Amazing band. Then Phil and Bobby had a falling out and The Other Ones went out on Furthur2000 with Alphonso Johnson on bass instead of Phil. That was the last Furthur Festival tour. The Other Ones would regroup with Phil in 2002 for a fall tour.
"You can't quit the mob"-Ken Kesey
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#81684 2 years, 8 months ago
james wright wrote:
From 96-98 and then again in 2000 there was a Furthur Festival first two years were Bobby, Mickey, and Hornsby's bands with other great bands like hot tuna Los lobos arlo guthrie ect... In 98 The first Other Ones were on the bill. Amazing band. Then Phil and Bobby had a falling out and The Other Ones went out on Furthur2000 with Alphonso Johnson on bass instead of Phil. That was the last Furthur Festival tour. The Other Ones would regroup with Phil in 2002 for a fall tour.

Thanks. Does anyone know if the "falling out with Bobby and Phil" was accurate or a rumor? Just curious. I always thought it was a rumor with probably some truth to it.

Unlike the rumor that has been circulating for a long time that Phil wants out. My understanding it Phil's quitting is 1000% bunk and it's been recirculated so many times it's getting old and crusty.

scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#81686 2 years, 8 months ago
Here's another recent JK interview. highlighting is mine

Dark Star Orchestra guitarist takes love of Grateful Dead even Furthur
Published: Wednesday, November 02, 2011, 11:06 AM
George Lenker By George Lenker masslive.com

What does a successful musician do when his band reaches an apex of popularity beyond his wildest dreams? In John Kadlecik’s case, he just went Furthur.

After 12 years as guitarist for the acclaimed Grateful Dead tribute band Dark Star Orchestra, Kadlecik had been mulling leaving that band to pursue his “own thing” in 2009. But then a funny thing happened: He was asked by Dead founder Bob Weir to join Furthur, Weir’s latest band that includes fellow Dead alumnus, Phil Lesh.

Furthur will play the Mullins Center on Sunday at 7:30 p.m.

Kadlecik had met Weir several times before, when Weir sat in the Dark Star Orchestra. Although the two hit it off both personally and musically, Kadlecik was still surprised when he received an email from Weir’s manager asking him to audition for Furthur.

“I didn’t even see it right away because it defaulted to my spam folder,” Kadlecik said with a laugh. “I thought I was being pranked.”

As it turned out, the offer was real and while there was supposed to be four days of auditioning, after the second night, the band decided just they wanted Kadlecik, and the auditions turned into rehearsals.
IF YOU GO

Event: Furthur in concert
When: Sunday, 7:30 p.m.
Where: Mullins Center, Amherst
Cost: $37.50 and $57.50
For more info: Call (800) 745-3000 or Ticketmaster.com

“I thought it was just going to be one-off thing, but then we were told we had to clear our schedules,” he said. “And that meant it would be impractical for me to continue with Dark Star. Dark Star Orchestra is a business, and they’re going to keep going.”

Kadlecik said that although he was slightly nervous at first playing with two legends, it wasn’t as scary as playing Grateful Dead songs in Dark Star Orchestra with Garcia’s wife, Carolyn (known as Mountain Girl), in the audience.

“Playing with Bob and Phil was nerve-wracking, but as not nerve-wracking as singing Jerry’s songs with ‘Mountain Girl’ in front row,” he said. “So I’ve been steeled.”

Kadlecik originally was trained on violin, an instrument he played at a high level for years. He only switched to guitar because he was hitting a dead end finding improvisational aspects on he violin.

“I started teaching myself guitar after asking my violin teacher about improvisation and getting blank stare,” he said. “I had the chance to spend week at friend’s house, and he had a guitar and a Mel Bay book, so I just picked it up and started teaching myself. I picked it up quickly and my friend let me take guitar home because he wasn’t playing it anymore.”

Improvisation, which is now his calling card as a guitarist, remained elusive, however, until he started jamming with a bass player and drummer.

“I’m not sure how it happened. It’s hard to say, but there’s a stimulus that happens, a group gestalt that forms when a group plays together,” Kadlecik said. “ A switch just came on for me. I think we ending up doing a 12-bar blues for a half hour or so.”
:

www.masslive.com/entertainment/index.ssf...estra_guitarist.html

lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#81697 2 years, 8 months ago
Salamander I think announced the first of Sal's "rumors" about the new band being formed I think in June, maybe even late May, of 2009. I assume after the audition/rehearsal is when Sal learned of it. So 2.5 years now...? So it is quite possible, if they are saying 3, that this was started in earnest earlier in the year and they sat on it.
Time to create page: 0.63 seconds