• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
OneSolid
Fresh Boarder

Re: Jay LANE

#8906 3 years, 5 months ago
Jay is an amazing drummer and I suspect that he may not have been too jazzed at being in the percussion slot and not on the kit. I saw a bunch of shows with he and Joe and I thought he added a lot to the mix, espeocially on something like King Solomons Marbles. I was pretty bummed when I heard he was leaving. He has a history with Primus and probably felt that was something he wanted to do so he could really shine. He's been great playing with Ratdog, Furthur and Primus and it's really cool that he and Bobby have playrd together since his departure. No hard feelings. And as we all know Joe is a monster and sounds like he has four arms. No complaints with his skills at all!
Deadhead4Obama
Junior Boarder

#8913 3 years, 5 months ago
It was definatly for Primus, but I have ot wonder whether he was realyl enjoying himslf in Furhtur. Like yins said, he wasnt on a kit, was playing the percussionist part and i have to wonder if that was really satisfying for him. I saw the two drummers last Feb, and since seen Furthur twice with just Joe. I really like it a lot more. As yins pointed out too, they seemed timid... like they didnt quite know how to play with each other. Now that its just Joe, hes free to be his own animal, and i think hes really flourishing.
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#8916 3 years, 5 months ago
I saw the 2010 Patriot Center show with Jay and I felt he was somewhat marginalized because of his new role as Percussionist compared to Ratdog Jay, but he really wanted to do Primus so he is and Phil's comments support this interpretation. imo
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
onthebusin03
Junior Boarder

#8917 3 years, 5 months ago
Did you see that guy hopping around back there? He sure seemed like he was having a good time to me...

Also, regarding the decision to go with a percussion rig as opposed to a traditional kit, I seem to recall an interview with Jay where he stated it was his call as to what to play? My mind could be playing tricks on me, though, with regards to that...

No doubt they didn't know how to play with each other, wasn't it Russo in the dead.net interview (a great read, btw) who stated that playing with Jay was the first time ever played with another drummer?

None of this is to say that Joe isn't thriving on his own, of course. He's doing a tremendous job back there and I'm glad to see it.
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#8920 3 years, 5 months ago
Joe also said that Jay was great help to him when he was is the "cheat sheet taped to his rig"phase with the band.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
Deadhead4Obama
Junior Boarder

#8933 3 years, 5 months ago
More I think about it, my best guess is Jay was thinking that Joe was ready to do it on his own, and when the Primus offer came up, it was too good to turn down.

My guess is JK had the same type of feelings when Phil and Bobby called. He loved DSO, but when an offers to good to turn down, changes are made!
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds