mama tried

Bill K FURTHUR

#8040 3 years, 7 months ago
ANYONE READ BILLS INTERVIEW ABOUT JK AND FURTHUR? CUT THAT TENSION WITH A SPOON
Ace#11
Junior Boarder

Re: Bill K FURTHUR

#8056 3 years, 7 months ago
Yeah he says nothing new is going on and then he plays 2 new songs at his show and the rest is from the GD catalog , That Papa Malis voice is the WORST! and the drumming as of late has been sub- par . RUSSO is where it is at .. FURTHUR!!!
gratefulelectric
Junior Boarder
mama tried

#8063 3 years, 7 months ago
never saw 7 walkers yet looking forward to checking them out
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#8084 3 years, 7 months ago
hey bill jealous much?
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Ramblin_Joe
Junior Boarder

#8090 3 years, 7 months ago
I saw Bill K & 7 Walkers a few months ago...

No doubt that Bill K and George Porter Jr were amazing. But Papa Mali and the keyboard player held them back. Overall, I enjoyed the show because Bill K's energy and skill were still better than you could get from almost anyone else out there. Plus, they played Eyes of the World and Bill's drums are always smoking on that.
gratefulelectric
Junior Boarder
mama tried

#8093 3 years, 7 months ago
Bill and Jerry were brothers closest of the close theyl were going to live in hawai together.

I think bill takes it as a slap in the face to have someone try and be jerry while with bob and phil he mentioned warren. warren sounds and played like waren. JK sounds and plays like jerry Personally I love it I thing they sound great but i'm sad for bill
onthebusin03
Junior Boarder

#8101 3 years, 7 months ago
Understanding that Bill may be upset or otherwise feeling less than enthused about Furthur, but I wonder just how sincere his claim is that his groups aren't resting heavily on the GD songbook. Yes, Rhythm Devils and 7 Walkers have new material, and some is quite good... But you also see Furthur with their new material and playing new covers, so to me it rings a bit hollow about Billy feeling like they aren't pushing it in Furthur...

All that said, I want all the guys and gal to be happy with what they're involved in. Hopefully Billy is.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#8147 3 years, 7 months ago
7 Walkers is New Orleans music, not GD music. To me, their album is psychedelic swamp rock (and NOLA is a very trippy city). If you look at them on those terms then Papa Mali fits perfectly. I saw them in December and they played a lot of Dead covers which I don't think presented them in the best light. The few originals they played sounded great, IMO.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Ramblin_Joe
Junior Boarder

#8172 3 years, 7 months ago
Equinox wrote:
7 Walkers is New Orleans music, not GD music. To me, their album is psychedelic swamp rock (and NOLA is a very trippy city). If you look at them on those terms then Papa Mali fits perfectly.

I don't disagree that their originals may fit Papa Mali's style better than the Grateful Dead songs, but that gets me asking myself why Papa Mali would allow himself to stand up in front of these Deadhead audiences if he can't keep up with the songs they're all buying tickets to hear.

Bill K could get a better guitar player if he really kept up with the current scene. It feels like he's satisfied with what he did with the Grateful Dead and now he just wants to play on his own terms. I don't mind that.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#8217 3 years, 7 months ago
Papa Mali may just be trying to get some wider exposure. New Orleans is full of brilliant musicians who are barely known outside of the state.

I do agree that generally Billy doesn't seem to surround himself with musicians that are on his level. I saw the Rhythm Devils in NYC last Sept. and while Billy and Mickey were on fire the guitarists in the band actually dragged down the jams. It's possible he doesn't really care. After all, this is the guy who just wanted to go scuba diving after Jerry died.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds