• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

RIP Andy Rooney

#80326 2 years, 12 months ago
i think I might have been the only one in the world who had Joe Piscopo's cassette tape of him actlng like Andy Rooney, can't remember the name now, might have New Jersey in the title. Man, that tape sucked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: skidoo, Cub, deadegad, SunshineSue
Cub
Senior Boarder

"The GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD",

#80352 2 years, 12 months ago
......Was by a World War Two corespondent who informed our nation of The Story that was happening an ocean and continent away.
This was at a time when the typewriter was carried into the field, and then The Story was somehow gotten to a Wire Service and then to our NewsPaper and AM radios.

Andy never liked attention and I'm sure he wouldn't approve of the outpouring of gratitude and fond memories that is about to happen. On October 2nd, CBS 60 Minutes interviewed Andy for his final broadcast and he was as cantankerous as ever. So this morning, I'm sure Andy is standing at the Pearly Gates, arguing with Saint Peter because his silk robes are too ostentatious* for a guy who shunned public attention on earth, but maybe will soften-up a bit in heaven.
Rest easy now Andy, you've earned it here on earth. * I believe he would prefer the regular-guy

CNN link: www.cnn.com/2011/11/05/us/obit-andy-rooney/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
The following user(s) said Thank You: deadegad, SunshineSue
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

Re: "The GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD",

#80367 2 years, 12 months ago
He was a curmudgeon's curmudgeon, all right. Rest in peace, Andy, you've earned the break!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Cub, deadegad
deadegad
Platinum Boarder

#80427 2 years, 11 months ago
I actually know Andy Rooney. I met him about a decade ago in my job capacity and would see him and his wife several times per year. They are nice people. As it turned out we knew each other for a long time and discovered that we live on the same street in Manhattan!

About three weeks ago I saw Andy being put into an ambulance outside his home and gave him a thumbs up and spoke briefly to his Mrs.. I slipped a get well soon card into the mail box for him and said a prayer.

In an interview Andy said he did not believe in life after death or that a soul survives physical death. Well I believe. Andy is probably a bit surprised right now, and that's OK.

God Speed Andy and thanks for your work in journalism and service to your country -- I was an avid fan from before I knew you -- and I hope you are enjoying a Makers Mark on the rocks right now with all of your comrades who died in that terrible, terrible, war so long ago.
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by deadegad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: skidoo, SunshineSue
Chester
More or less in line

#80429 2 years, 11 months ago
R.I.P. Mr Rooney
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds