• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Big Ralph
Junior Boarder

I was a carefree person alright

#78657 2 years, 9 months ago
With Portland Maine show coming Friday,just wanted to relate a story.In 1980,May I hitched from Central Vermont to Portland for a Grateful Dead show with nearly zero in my pocket.It was a beautiful moonlit night,thats right I hitched at night.Only had one weird ride and was in Portland day before show.Stayed in a Mission but had that 10 bucks for ticket!,Great show,got home eventually.Just some fond memories,not a care in the world.I loved it.You folks going to Furthur in Portland,Maine,have FUN...I remember beautiful old Victorian buildings not to far from show....hey this was 32 years ago
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sharicee
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

Re: I was a carefree person alright

#78680 2 years, 9 months ago
Funny coincidence.

I hitched to a show in Portland from Bennington Vt in 1985, spring tour. Some heads going to the show gave me a ride, and dosed me!! What a time.

They were like, "this is what Dead Heads do."
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#78682 2 years, 9 months ago
Non-deadheads just can't relate to these wonderful stories.... I have similar ones for when I was a 20 year old... albeit 1990, not 1980. But the same concept. This one sounds magical.
Big Ralph
Junior Boarder

#78912 2 years, 9 months ago
Glad others had good experiences, Rt 2 thru moonlit VT,NH....special experiences.....fond memories....thanks!
gonisher
Fresh Boarder

#78917 2 years, 9 months ago
I will be in Portland tomorrow. The last time I saw the band at Cumberland County was on my 30th birthday, for tomorrows show, I am 50 years old.Keep on dancin.
Big Ralph
Junior Boarder

#78923 2 years, 9 months ago
GONISHER- HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME and I will be there in spirit! Just MSG and AC this time!
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#78949 2 years, 9 months ago
Ok this is politically incorrect..but I can relate. When the amount of party materials on you is 10x what you have in your bank account & you were happy as a pig in slop. Jerry was onstage right in front of you and you had tickets to the next 6 shows. You had no wife or kids and little responsibility ( I wouln't trade em for anything just makin my point) Oh yeah and it was 1985, I had a full head of hair and it wasn't creepy to look/flirt...... with 18-23 yr olds. Carefree ( to the music of Born Free) .

Signed
Bald, Old but still DEAD sexy ...aging like a fine wine........
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme, Sharicee, scar1et_f1re
GENTLEJACKJONES
Junior Boarder
Hmmmmmmmmmm

#78969 2 years, 9 months ago
Walk in the Sunshine wrote:
Ok this is politically incorrect..but I can relate. When the amount of party materials on you is 10x what you have in your bank account & you were happy as a pig in slop. Jerry was onstage right in front of you and you had tickets to the next 6 shows. You had no wife or kids and little responsibility ( I wouln't trade em for anything just makin my point) Oh yeah and it was 1985, I had a full head of hair and it wasn't creepy to look/flirt...... with 18-23 yr olds. Carefree ( to the music of Born Free) .

Signed
Bald, Old but still DEAD sexy ...aging like a fine wine........

Gone are the days.....ahhhh but the memories! I spent a week in Portland 1 day. But what a week it was. Enjoy the finest little city in America [in my opinion]. Check out the Old Port...take a ride on a water taxi...eat fresh seafood...mmmmmmmmmmmm. Oh yea, and to top it off your favorite band is playing there.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#78999 2 years, 9 months ago
You put me in the mood to re-read Jack Kerouac's "on the road" Actually I just bought a new copy at Borders. I thought it was ok when I first read it ~ 30 years ago. I believe I wasn't ready to enjoy it back them. I will see soon enough.

Your story reminds me of Barlow and his masterpiece, Black Throated Wind. Very cool.

happy-horse-437x361_2011-11-03.jpg
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Time to create page: 0.46 seconds