• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

Re: What is the definition of a deadhead????

#78325 2 years, 5 months ago
Dire Wolf wrote:
I've alway heard custie used by grimy tour kids who need some lingo to separate out people who are naive and able to be ripped off for money in some way by them.

I'm not naive but I have been ripped off in the lot more times than I care to remember. Guess I'm still a custie. All the custies in da house say hooooooooo!!!
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by ShakedownSteve.
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#78329 2 years, 5 months ago
BBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#78332 2 years, 5 months ago
My Opinion is also that it's a self assessed title. If you think you are a deadhead, you are.

I know you were not looking for facts, but I want to add the following:

1) From catch me if you can, a deadhead is a term for a pilot cating a free flight on his or her day off.

From GDTSTOO

DeadHead Definitions

"I made a mixture with clear water, and filtered it to take away the dead head of it. " (Husbandry & Gardening, 1707)

"When castings are required to be particularly solid, they are generally made with what is called a dead head." (English Mechanic, 1869)

"Dead head, a kind of dolphin or stout post on a quay head to make hawsers fast to; a rough block of wood used as an anchor buoy." (Smyth's Sailor's Wordbook, 1867)

"Dead head: One who returns without a load. " (Webster's Collegiate Dictionary)

"The forest covered slopes of Deadhead Hill, whose summit rim is always outlined in black by the crowding figures of the deadheads assembled to see the game. " (0. D. von Engeln, At Cornell, 1909)

"As I had never experienced the blessed privilege of deadheadism, I could not naturally miss the opportunity of enjoying so new a sensation." (N. Y Tribune, 1857)

"In Pittsfield, recently, he is reported to have advertised that he could furnish a free pass to glory, but very few of the unrighteous population seems anxious to be dead-headed on this train." (N. Y. Tribune, 1871)

"He had been dead-headed into the world some fifty years ago, and had sat with his hands in his pockets staring at the show ever since." (O.W. Holmes, Elsie V ii, 1860)

(Quotes from Oxford & Webster's dictionaries)
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: splatter_face, ecojaded
bitzer87
Junior Boarder

#78333 2 years, 5 months ago
ScarletFire wrote:
I think a deadhead goes to a show for the music and the energy. All the other stuff is secondary.

I agree
The following user(s) said Thank You: amusingdeva, Strider1
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#78334 2 years, 5 months ago
i'd say a deadhead is anyone who genuinely loves the music, having seen jerry or not...i never got to see jerry (other than a show when my mom was 8 months pregnant with me), but i can say with full certainty that this music is a huge party of my life and has gotten me through bad times and is there in good times as well..the thing i love is no matter what no one can take the music away from me family and friends come and go, whether by passing away or fading in one's life, but the music is here forever and i think thats the biggest draw for me. and yes i definitely consider myself a deadhead, not to be confused with a hippie that outsiders generally classify us as both.

as a side note, with the people i know we use the term "custie" and it has a negative connotation. but we use it to mean people who are only going to the show cause their friends are, essentially thats the term we use for "fake" heads...people that know casey jones and touch of grey, but when i say phil and bob they look dumbfounded
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
The following user(s) said Thank You: iraqistatefair
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

#78336 2 years, 5 months ago
ShakedownSteve wrote:
Dire Wolf wrote:
I've alway heard custie used by grimy tour kids who need some lingo to separate out people who are naive and able to be ripped off for money in some way by them.

I'm not naive but I have been ripped off in the lot more times than I care to remember. Guess I'm still a custie. All the custies in da house say hooooooooo!!!

yeah but Steve youre not being ripped off because you're stupid... ie. you buy shitake mushrooms thinking they are fun mushrooms, you've been ripped off cause that person is a money grubbing wanker. I'd be hard pressed to say you are a custie....unless that's how you wanna be known...in which case I will say that's a little odd but all the power to you
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

#78337 2 years, 5 months ago
Dire Wolf wrote:
I've alway heard custie used by grimy tour kids who need some lingo to separate out people who are naive and able to be ripped off for money in some way by them. Custie implies an assumption put on a person based on their appearance or their demeanor around the show. A noob or a newbie for those computer lingo inclined. I'd say its a shitty term meaning I can pull one over on this person...to me custie is a term applied to victims of what I certainly would call a crime.

newyawker wrote:
Is 'custie' a slam against someone? Is it a term used to make one who doesnt work and follows phish better than one who has responsibilities?

i would say you hit the nail on the head it bullshit from people who need something to boost their shattered self-image
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluetrainsugaree
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

#78341 2 years, 5 months ago
Dire Wolf wrote:
ShakedownSteve wrote:
Dire Wolf wrote:

yeah but Steve youre not being ripped off because you're stupid... ie. you buy shitake mushrooms thinking they are fun mushrooms, you've been ripped off cause that person is a money grubbing wanker. I'd be hard pressed to say you are a custie....unless that's how you wanna be known...in which case I will say that's a little odd but all the power to you

Ok I'm not a custie. I am a little odd though.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#78398 2 years, 5 months ago
MushroomMan wrote:
BTW edhead - are you going to be at the wharf rat table at any shows this tour? -- I'll stop over and say hi sometime if so

Not going to be able to make any of these, but I'll be out there somewhere in the Spring.
Without love day to day insanity's king
Wheelman
Gold Boarder

#78402 2 years, 5 months ago
splatter_face wrote:
Is it simply....

A person who likes the music of the Grateful Dead and wishes to refer to themself as a Deadhead AND is dead in the head

Or is it something more?

Opinions only, no facts please

I was under the impression, it was someone who was anti-establishment subversive, with liked teasing small children...
(my old neighbor was a deadhead) & thats what he did...so I just assumed...

THAT'S WHAT DREW ME TO THE BAND...
(“I don’t suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.” )
Time to create page: 0.52 seconds