• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
taper.tsquare
Visitor

Re: Whats Your Stance on Phish/WSP/SCI?

#78664 2 years, 10 months ago
My 2 cents worth...

Phish: saw them once in 1993. Good band, but it didn't do much for me and I've never seen them since. Strangely enough, however, I really like Trey Anastasio Band. The scene is more mellow and people seem to be there more for the music (as opposed to just being there for the party and the drugs.

Widespread Panic: saw them for the 1st time this year and really enjoyed the two shows I saw. I'll definitely go back next time they play the SF Bay Area. I found the scene at the shows to be a bit strange. People for the most part were very friendly, but there is definitely an "anti hippy / anti Grateful Dead contingent. Not really sure why, but it's definitely present.

SCI: I've heard their music and it did nothing for me.

As for some other bands mentioned in this thread...

Umphrey's McGee: I don't dig this band at all.

moe.: they intrigue me a little bit, but I've never seen them and don't know much about them.

RRE: I like what I've heard, but haven't seen them yet.

YMSB: I freakin' love 'em!!!

Greensky Bluegrass: ditto... love 'em.

Other great bands not mentioned...

Infamous Stringdusters, Mother Hips, Karl Denson's Tiny Universe, Stanton Moore Trio, Galactic, Anders Osborne.
otherone78
Junior Boarder
first Furthur show: 2/19/10

#78684 2 years, 10 months ago
I love all three, living in NH Phish was THE second coming! Especially in the early 90s, they were the hometeam, so to speak. Ive sen SCI live many times since 1999 and always love that vibe. Their shows are fun and the people too, my fiance loves to hoop dance so she really loves them. Ive never seen WP but I have many live shows and dig their unique brew of music. None of these band come close to how I feel about the music of the GD and Furthur though. Each band does something unique with the music and shines a very specific light on the scene I feel.
Cornjulio
Junior Boarder

#78913 2 years, 9 months ago
taper.tsquare wrote:

SCI: I've heard their music and it did nothing for me.

That's they way I felt about the GD until I agreed to go party with a buddy at Nassau Coliseum 32 years ago yesterday. Just sayin'.

Sometimes you need to be in it for it to click.
Time to create page: 0.39 seconds