• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

Re: Whats Your Stance on Phish/WSP/SCI?

#77954 2 years, 9 months ago
I've seen phish one in 98. Didn't move me much.

Seen wsp 3 times and I will see them again

None of them made me feel anything like gd
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#77995 2 years, 9 months ago
Phish--Great band. My live experience with them is limited. I saw six or seven West Coast shows in the early 90's (Warfield, Berkeley Greek, Leguna Seca) and then not again until two of 2009-2010 New Year's run in Miami. I listen to a live Phish set on Jam On XM Radio two or three times a week and I never feel any pain.

Widespread Panic--Another great band. Again, I have limited live experience with them. I saw them once with Mikey at Slim's in San Francisco in the early 90's, and 12 other times between 2004-2011. To me, they are sort of the opposite of Phish. They are dark and beautiful as opposed to light and goofy.

String Cheese Incident--I missed this train all together. Never saw them. When they come on the radio, I don't switch the station, but I am very unfamiliar with their music.

Other jam bands--I like everything I've heard by Railroad Earth, but I've only seen them in passing at a music fest and didn't really pay attention. I saw moe. once and I've never seen Umprey's McGee, but I like thier music when I hear it on the radio. I really love everything Steve Kimock has ever done, especially Zero, who I saw many times in San Francisco in the 90's.

Other bands--They are not really a jam band, but Donna the Buffalo is one of my favorites. I've seen them many times in the last decade and they move the crowd like a jam band does. I also really love Wilco.
Without love day to day insanity's king
gratefulade
Junior Boarder

#78002 2 years, 9 months ago
Panic- Panic is my close #2 behind the Dead. Panic just does it for me, period.

Phish- I could probably write a 10 page essay on my relationship with phish lol. I like them, I go see them, I have a good time. I do not love them, and they do not have the same effect on me as the Dead or Panic.

SCI- Not really my thing. I have seen them several times, but have never had a mind-blowing experience or anything like that.

If I had to throw another band in there that would top my list it would be the Allman Brothers. I also love Warren and Mule, DSO and JGB.

I think the annoying fans could be a whole new thread. There are obnoxious people at all shows, some more than others maybe. But, I am not going to NOT see a band because of their crowd. Just another way we are spoiled by the Dead, best family around!
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

#78005 2 years, 9 months ago
gratefulade wrote:
If I had to throw another band in there that would top my list it would be the Allman Brothers.

Let me add I am a HUGE Allman Brothers fan, though I haven't seen them in concert since Dickey Betts got kicked out. It wouldn't be the same thing for me. Dickey is my all-time favorite guitar player (next to Jerry, of course.)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by ShakedownSteve.
gr8fuljen
Expert Boarder

#78007 2 years, 9 months ago
Not a fan of WSP/SCI/or Phish... I only saw SCI because they opened for Ratdog..and I was bored with them
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#78030 2 years, 9 months ago
phish--i saw my first phish show at 13 in the summer of 2000 at darien lake, i wasn't really into it that much but in hindsight the show is great, they actually released it as the 3rd in that series of live phish's. i didn't see them again until 2003 and 2004 it was alright trey was a wreck though most of the time, it was always more about the party from what i gathered. i even met someone who had been going to shows for 12 years and told me he'd never actually been inside, that's a whole other story in itself...in 2009 i saw some great shows, 2010 i got bored with it, every show was the same, i would hit a 4 night run and hear many repeats, no thanks. i don't care how well you can play possum, IT SUCKS. they have such a wild catalog they barely dive into. most of their lyrics are nonsensical. okay some of them relate to gamehendge, but come on, even most of that is lame. i saw one show this year and was very disappointed. last year i sold my 3 nights on the floor of their NYE run (below face), this year i didn't even ask my bud for the killer seats i can always get for phish shows. i've just lost the desire to ever see them. skipped superball, i live 2 hrs from watkins glen, and i was even hanging out 15 minutes outside watkins for half that weekend, and i didn't feel like i was missing anything. i hope they continue making other people happy. long live mike gordon

widespread--have never seen them with mikey. started seeing them in 04, couple times a year at most, they barely come to the northeast. i was never very impressed until this year after the furthur spring tour my friend convinced me to hit up the 2 nights in asheville. i went and had a blast. the one thing about this band i don't like is john bell. i dislike his voice.

never really got into cheese, they aren't terrible. jen, i remember cheese dog tour. i liked those shows but missed a lot of the string cheese sets. moe i'm not really into (funny we had a fill in drummer who's fill in used to be the drummer of moe the other night) no one else clicks i don't like umphreys at all i have tried them a bunch.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Little Bear
DangerousDan
Senior Boarder

#78100 2 years, 9 months ago
cool everyone and DSO defintly seems like the place to be when they come rolling by. Is there shakedown at a DSO show? and do yall think people tour with DSO? cheers everyone appreciate alll responses and yay i got a hot thread going !!!
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#78114 2 years, 9 months ago
DangerousDan wrote:
cool everyone and DSO defintly seems like the place to be when they come rolling by. Is there shakedown at a DSO show? and do yall think people tour with DSO? cheers everyone appreciate alll responses and yay i got a hot thread going !!!

there are certainly people that tour with DSO, they are on the road so much i don't know if a lot of people do full tours i know a few who do, but people definitely do like week stretches of shows...i've never seen a shakedown outside of a DSO show its way more of you go in listen to the music and go home...its really nice actually the ticket prices (although they've risen like everything else lately) are pretty reasonable 20-30 bucks give or take and in my opinion are completely worth it...for a person that never had the chance to see Jerry its awesome, because you don't know what you're gonna get when you go in...in my 3 show run this summer they played a show from 89, 77, and an original set in the style of early 70's with one drummer and featuring a few pigpen tunes including an unbelievable pigpen good lovin'...i might be on the minority on this board on my DSO opinions but they are worth traveling to see, again i have to travel for pretty much any show i see so my idea of traveling 4 hours to a show is not a big deal, but i would certainly check them out if you can Dan and the set they played this at All Good was absolutely rocking
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
The following user(s) said Thank You: DangerousDan
Cornjulio
Junior Boarder

#78646 2 years, 9 months ago
This is a great day to tackle this since it is the 32nd Anniversary of my first GD show. Great show BTW www.archive.org/details/gd79-11-02.sbd.m...nald.7920.sbeok.shnf

My first Phish show was 1991 Berkeley Square. I really enjoyed it, and I enjoy them to this day. My gf is really into them. When they come around I normally go to 1 or 2 gigs. Being on the East Coast, this year I will see them on NYE. Last year was Furthur. I appreciate Phish immensely as a big fan of Prog rock, as the influences are obvious. The Phan base can be a bit annoying in an elitist type of way, but I'm there for the music. They jam less than they used to. I really appreciate Trey's guitar work and Page's keyboards. Great players. While Gordo is revered, I actually find his bass playing tedious.

Where Phish loses me is with their lack of melodies and the lack of variation in their jams. They are more of a groove band, not so much improv. Especially now. That's why a couple of shows here are there work. It's sorta like Touch of Grey or One More Sat Night. Love the tunes, but don't need to hear more than once or twice a tour. There's not much room for the tunes to go anywhere. That seems to be the way Phish approaches most of their tunes even when they could explore. Especially now.
I love certain CDs...play them too much and you get sick of it. Looking forward to MSG. Only went to Merriweather this year. It will be fun.

SCI: I am a huge SCI fan. Started seeing them in Bear Valley, The Last Day Saloon and Sweetwater around 95, These guys speak to me, and they've composed some great Melodies. I dig Bluegrass too. If you like this kind of music, you owe it to yourself to give them a shot on this tour. I agree that they had some rough times incorporating their electronica into their sets. The 05-07 period was not my favorite at all. I still went and had a great time, but I feel this way about this period of SCI the way I do about the Dead in 84 and 85 and 94/95. When the chemistry on any team is off, it translate to the performance. Not that there weren't great shows during that time, but it was time for a break. The only show I've seen in the past few years was Rothbury 09 and Hampton. Rust was there, but the love and energy was back. Their shows from this year are joyous too. I am looking forward to United Palace perhaps more than any other shows this fall. I would love to see Kang play with Phil again!

Widespread. Some nice jams...but they don't do it for me. I think it's the lack of melodies. The next one of theirs that sticks in my head will be the first.

Love Greensky

Yonder at times.

Leftover Salmon deserves some love. They brought it in Brooklyn a month ago. Scope out that download. They are so much fun live.

There you have it. Psyched for WB Saturday!
brownie710
Junior Boarder

#78649 2 years, 9 months ago
Well, my humble opinon.

Phish- My first show was the Clifford Ball (96 or 97?) and I enjoyed it quite a bit. However over the years the more exposure I got to other shows (Furthur, Phil, Bobby and even GOTV) as well as many more Phish shows I really began to pick up on the difference in the parking lot. Phish lot tends to seem darker, shadier and more rife with drugged out, erratic, disrespectful youngsters throwing around catch phrases to make them seem cool. Obviously there are tons of cool people there as well and some of the former at the other shows as well, I hate to generalize but again this is just my opinion.

I've never seen WSP (that I remember)

I thought SCI was a fun band but it didn't really hook into me.

The boys and the metaphors and stories within their music have just spoken to me and shaped by way of life and personality than the others.
Time to create page: 0.57 seconds