• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

Re: Whats Your Stance on Phish/WSP/SCI?

#77881 2 years, 10 months ago
ShakedownSteve wrote:
That's right, you wouldn't want it to end up on sexstoriespost.com

my fears exactly, i guess with non-fiction stories i'm not too worried...but i would be skeptical of posting a fiction story up on the web cause someone could easily take my idea

edit: thats not to sound arrogant that my stories would be worth someone stealing, just skepticism on my part
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by doin_that_rag.
MWoods
Junior Boarder

#77882 2 years, 10 months ago
"...it seems like these bands constantly get flamed among deadheads and quite frankly i dont get it. Its too the point where i get it you dont like the band now shut the fuck up."

Yeah I get where you're coming from here. The fact that all of these bands have so many dedicated fans, and continue to entertain thousands of people year after year means that they are good musicians. So if someone doesn't like them then it does not mean they "suck" or whatever.

That being said, we all have our opinions, and you asked for our "stance" on these bands so here's mine:

Phish: I like them. I get what everyone says about them being silly at times, but sometimes I like that. I don;t always need a band to teach me something. Lots of singers songwriters play music that tells a great story or teaches universal truths, but when I see Phish I want to to hear/see those sound sculptures that very few musicians know how to do better.

SCI: I used to love them. I haven't really been digging their sound recently, but I know many other people who's musical opinion I really respect and they still like Cheese a lot. I'm a big bluegrass person though and SCI has tended towards less String, more Cheese for a while now so much of what I liked about them is smaller in the mix. These things happen. They a re still great musicians and since Billy Nershi is playing in the Emmitt Nershi band (which is awesome) I can still get my Nersh-bluegrass fix.

WSP: Not really my thing. I LOVE the acoustic stuff (ie Uber Cobra) and I bet this wood tour coming up will be great. Just too "Heavy" of a sound for me but, again, to each their own. A lot of people love WSO and I can understand why. Bell, Herring, and crew are incredible musicians.

RRE: Just great. They are a little too Bluegrassy to ever get REAL big, IMO. They are not a strictly Bluegrass band (I would call them "American Roots" though any label ultimately fails), but they do have a heavy Bluegrass influence which I think turns a lot of people off. This is unfortunate bc a) Bluegrass is great, and b) if you want Hunter/Garcia quality songwriting/storytelling being played by a group of musicians that are immensely talented and know how to jam and get weird with the music... RRE is your thing. Top notch all-round.

Greensky Bluegrass: Copy/paste much of what I wrote about RRE above. I have only been listening to these guys for about 9 months (seen them 3 times) and I think they are going to give RRE a run for their money as Top Band in my book. If they were both playing the same night at equal venues, same ticket price, same distance from where I am, etc, etc.... man that would be a tough call! I hope it never happens! They are a Bluegrass Band (much more "classic" Bluegrass than RRE) but have an amazing, instinctive feel for the psychedelic and are just all round fun people to have play you some music. Go see them!

YMSB: They are good. Why they get so much more love from the GD community than other bands (like RRE and GSBG) I don't know. Don't get me wrong, I REALLY like YMSB but find them to be more of a party and don't find the jams to get as weird and "out there" as those by RRE and GSBG.

Mostly I'm just thankful that there's a lot of good music out there!!!!!!!
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by MWoods.
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

#77883 2 years, 10 months ago
doin_that_rag wrote:
ShakedownSteve wrote:

my fears exactly, i guess with non-fiction stories i'm not too worried...but i would be skeptical of posting a fiction story up on the web cause someone could easily take my idea

edit: thats not to sound arrogant that my stories would be worth someone stealing, just skepticism on my part

I was being a smartass. You should know me by now.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#77884 2 years, 10 months ago
ShakedownSteve wrote:
doin_that_rag wrote:
ShakedownSteve wrote:

I was being a smartass. You should know me by now.

i know i know i'll PM it to you sometime this week once i get the final revisions done to it
bokb
Senior Boarder
Be, okay? Be.

#77886 2 years, 10 months ago
A lot of good responses on this.

I'm also somewhat baffled over the intense dislike that folks can have towards these bands.

I'd seen the Dead for a few years before I heard of anyone. Got turned on to some Phish albums and bootlegs in '91 or '92 and dug them immediately. They had that whole prog-rock appeal, that intricate-but-loose jam philosophy, meandering setlists and the hippie aesthetic. More than anyone, they reminded me of Zappa. My first shows were Atlanta '93, and I was blown away! I caught as many as their shows as I could when Dead shows weren't around. But the scene, East coast at least, got real shitty real quickly. They became the house band at a frat party. I still love the hell outta their music, but I doubt I will ever pay money to see them again.

Widespread was regionally known around that same time. We had tapes of them doing Dead tunes, so there was already that guilt-by-association coolness to them, and they reminded me a whole lot of the Allmans. I saw them a buttload of times through the nineties, but kinda lost touch just before Mikey passed. They started off really strong, but I think their songwriting got lazy, and I grew disinterested. The WSP scene has always been straight-up party time though, in a good way, but was too alcohol-soaked for it to be eduringly transcendent.

See, back then, the HORDE festival was just about to start. RELIX had begun writing about more and more new bands with "that groove." Phish and Widespread, along with Blues Traveller and Bela Fleck and the Spin Doctors, et al, were the proto-jambands; they were family, not rivals, as were their scenes.

The problem was that we "elders" from the Dead scene were the stereotypical hippie parents who let our little infant scenes just do whatever they wanted to do in the name of evolution without providing any guidance.
If unable to dance, I'll crawl.
Slewfoot
Junior Boarder

#77889 2 years, 10 months ago
Call me myopic, but GD and Furthur are my only jam band choices these days. I appreciate the Allman's and Warren (played a gig with him years ago) but 'most' of the other bands are simply jamming just to jam - without any meaning behind it. I've tried Phish and WSP on multiple occasions going back to the early 90's and just don't get the attraction. Phish are excellent musicians but loose me with all the silliness. And do they really need to attempt spontaneous combustion on nearly every tune? Jimmy Herring Is a talented guitar player, but it ends there. SCI - don't even get me started. I used to dig Zero and Col. Bruce/ARU, but those days are long gone. Id like to check out 7 Walkers next time they play in CO, but I think thats about it.
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by Slewfoot.
DangerousDan
Senior Boarder

#77891 2 years, 10 months ago
Cool everyone i appreciate all responses. Its quite facinating the various views about these bands. Also i aggree with the comment how these bands seem somewhat age affiliated... obviously not to say there arent young- old folks at shows. Steve- I gotta disagree, I started off really listening to the beatles for many many years then i found out about the dead and WOOOOOOOOOW greatest thing that ever happened to me in a sense. But then along the line i found out other "jambands" ....Maybe its because being 18 and apart of a poor music generation iMO i wanted to find bands that were unique to me and had many more years ahead of them. For instance everytime i will see furthur/dead related groups in the future the show seems so near and dear to me. LOL I guess more of a full experiecne than just a killer show. .... anyways keep the responses coming - Dan
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
DangerousDan
Senior Boarder

#77900 2 years, 10 months ago
Doin that rag- Its ok man we all pray to Jerome Garcia Hows DSO? are they really that good? From video ive seen they look great, im sure il catch them if they play All good this year.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

#77909 2 years, 10 months ago
Here's my DSO experience, for what it's worth. I never saw DSO with John K, but I had heard a lot about them. I saw them for the first time last February. They were playing a bunch of dates in Florida for the first time in two years, so I got tickets to see them in Orlando and Tampa. I tried not to go into it with any expectations because I knew it would be a different experience without John K. I had heard what a surreal experience it was when he played with them. Nevertheless, my expectations were still pretty high. The Orlando show was ok, but nothing special. I really didn't think they were any better than some other Dead cover bands I've seen in the past. I was very impressed with their "Bobby" though. I thought he did Bobby better than the real Bobby sometimes does Bobby. If he didn't have the '80s hairband hairstyle he'd even look like Bobby. Rob Barraco is a very talented keyboardist, though he's sometimes difficult to watch perform. I know that's a very judgemental thing to say because he's just showing his emotion when he sings and plays, but sometimes it's just too much. Jeff Mattson is a great guitar player but a lousy singer in my opinion. The Orlando show had a nice crowd with a wide variety of ages. It was fun to see Deadhead parents with their kids. But I decided after the Orlando show that that was too far a distance for me to travel to see DSO (it was close to a three hour drive for me.) The next show was in Tampa, which is an hour away. That experience unfortunately was not a good one, though it had nothing to do with the music. It was at a theater with reserved seating. When I walked inside I showed my ticket to an usher and went exactly where he directed me to go. I never bothered to check to verify that I was in the correct seat, I just took the user's word for it. Apparently he sent me to the wrong seat. Three songs into the first set this guy comes up to me and tells me I'm in his seat. I was a little buzzed and didn't want to deal with him at all. There were all sorts of empty seats around us and he was being a real pain in the ass. It was definitely a buzzkill. I didn't want to be anywhere near this guy so I left to find someplace else to watch the show. But instead I headed out into the lobby and just kept walking. I'm ashamed to say I actually walked out. I've only done that maybe once before in my life. It didn't have anything to do with the music, it was all my state of mind. As it turns out that night DSO played an original setlist, which is what I really wanted to hear. They recently announced their Southbound Winter Tour, which includes four dates in Florida. I'm gonna give them another shot and see the St. Pete show. At least I know what to expect this time.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by ShakedownSteve.
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#77913 2 years, 10 months ago
DangerousDan wrote:
Doin that rag- Its ok man we all pray to Jerome Garcia Hows DSO? are they really that good? From video ive seen they look great, im sure il catch them if they play All good this year.

i love DSO, i know some older heads either love them or don't want to see them. i saw them once with JK and i think 9 times now with Jeff. i can't get enough of them, their energy is crazy. i'm seeing them 5 times in december and probably 4 or 5 times in february. out of the shows i've seen only 1 i thought was subpar (original setlist that for some reason didn't really work for me), i'd rather see Furthur or Phil and Friends but i would definitely recommend DSO, especially since you are younger and like me didn't get the blessing of seeing Jerry

edit: i'll also go on to say that i think they are playing better now than ever, not to say anything bad about JK but DSO has better chemistry with the current lineup IMHO, but i think JK is better than Jeff...another one of life's mysteries
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by doin_that_rag.
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds