• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
DangerousDan
Senior Boarder

Whats Your Stance on Phish/WSP/SCI?

#77856 2 years, 5 months ago
Im just curious it seems like these bands constantly get flamed among deadheads and quite frankly i dont get it. Its too the point where i get it you dont like the band now shut the fuck up. I totaly respect everyones opinon so post away and explain why or why you dont like the following bands.- Dan

Phish- Seen 3 shows (all were ground breaking shows in Phishtory) My first actual show was Phish at Toyota Park in '10 so it was the first time being on lot and seeing what shows had to offer. I learned recently over summer how shady the crowd is and i would say atleast 30% are there for the drugs. I also experience some pricks rolling too hard and falling all over the place which ruined my second set:( . Thats not to say there isnt allot of great folks on phish tour. because ive met wonderful/beutiful people alot from dead tour. i do really enjoy their music and i realize it brings more of a silly funky groove to all songs so i understand the argument made about how their music is meaniless.(If you really study there material you will understand the whole ties to Gamehedge. To conclude i do love phish and i love how they put on a grate show.

SCI- I dont have too much to say about them because i havent seen them live. But im seeing them 2 nights in CHicago in December:P Im curious how there scene. But there music sounds phenominal execpt for their disco/dj/rap shit they do at festis like Bonnaroo. They also have a very impressive repetoir with songs that can telll storys.(like the Dead did that seems to make the music come Alive)

WSP- WOOOOO i love me some spread. Ive seen them 6 times 2 of which were the last 2 nights. I love there darker/southern jam they offer. Each member of the band brings a interesting element to the band. It seems that so many people just despise this band which i dont fully understand. The crowd is hit and miss. but open minded and down to party. Unlike the above bands the majority of fans are rather clean cut and "normal" looking hah.

I also enjoy RRE,YMSB, Greensky Bluegrass but totally despise Umphreys and im A Chicagoean!

Post away!
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

Re: Whats Your Stance on Phish/WSP/SCI?

#77864 2 years, 5 months ago
I think it has to do with age and what bands you got into first. It seems most jam bands appeal to a younger crowd. I don't consider the Dead to be a part of the jam band genre. The Dead are in a musical genre all to themself. If you got into the Dead first, anything that you listen to later will pale in comparison. I was a Deadhead before I ever listened to Phish. I saw Phish a bunch of times years ago and enjoyed the experience, but I don't think I would ever see them now. I hear too many bad stories about their shows and I'm just not really into their music anymore. People's tastes change over time. I occasionally hear bands like Widespread Panic, Umphrey's McGee and moe. on SiriusXM but I don't think any of them are that good. It took me a few minutes to figure out who SCI were. I hate all these acronyms. It's hard for me to be judgemental because I'm just not that familiar with any of these bands. I haven't heard them enough to have a really strong opinion about them. You also have to remember that Deadheads are elitists. We believe no other band's music can touch the Grateful Dead's. It's impossible for us to love any other band like we do the Dead.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by ShakedownSteve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: doin_that_rag
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#77866 2 years, 5 months ago
i'll tackle this one for you and keep in mind these are my own personal opinions and they are neither right nor wrong:

Phish- i got big into phish freshman year of college. i had listened to them for a few years previously, but it really picked up when they got back together for the hampton run. i never listened to them as much as the dead but for a while they were right behind them in who i listened to....that being said i have seen phish once 6/19/2011 at portsmouth and the show was alright nothing special nothing great..the scene was shit shakedown was not jumping off at all (friends told me how crazy phish lot was and i was preparing myself even though i've seen what furthur lot is like but the lot scene was smaller and definitely shadier) so that night has pretty much turned me away from seeing phish anytime soon..i think now the songs sound too similar with the songs building up and trey takes it into overdrive (i feel that so many of their songs are that way now) i'll listen to some old shows 93-99 but thats about it...if phish can get a new sound going and start to be more out there again i will go see them again but until then its not really worth it for me...however, i do want to check out TAB at some point

SCI- i've never seen them before and i don't plan on it on their upcoming tour. i like SCI a lot and have no real qualms against them..hoping in the future they can tour more consistently so i can check them out until then i have a neutral opinion on them (leaning on the positive side)

WSP- as a precursor, i was born down the street from Dave School's mom and that was in 91 so right about the time WSP was getting bigger and touring outside Athens..since i'm from richmond, the same city as dave schools, and the fact that he went to my rival high school there are a ton of WSP fans..i don't think i can quantify the amount but almost everyone that likes this kind of music loves WSP the most. as for me, i like WSP a lot...i think in a lot of ways they are similar to the Dead and i like that..they have songs that aren't silly like phish and do rock the place when they play..i've only seen them once 9/18/2010 in charlottesville...there wasn't much of a lot scene and most of the crowd was UVA students (i stayed with some of my friends there and went with them), the show was GA so i worked my way up to the rail in between JB and Jimmy so that was cool...i want to see them again, but it always kinda works out having to choose between furthur/DSO and WSP tickets...i might try and get tickets for the saturday ATL acoustic show but we'll see...i'll probably see them a lot more once furthur/ratdog/phil and friends have come and gone, but nonetheless i have nothing but positive things to say about WSP

my two personal favorites other than anything Dead related are Yonder and Keller...i saw YMSB a week ago at the Norva in norfolk, va and was on the rail directly in front of jeff austin and it was one of the most incredible shows i've ever seen...jeff plays possessed and sometimes when he solos you can see his eyes roll back...its crazy..he also feeds off the energy of the crowd and if i or someone else he was looking at was dancing hard he'd play harder and stare at us...and Keller ALWAYS brings it i've seen him like 6 or so times, he is a lot of fun...he's from Fredricksburg (an hour from where i grew up) so when he plays in VA or NC they are kinda hometown shows and always has a ball

ironically enough, my first YMSB and Keller shows were the same night as they coheadlined 6/25/08 at innsbrook pavilion in richmond, va and that was a week after my first dead related show...phil and friends 6/17/08 so that was a defining 8 day period in my life

and i hate Umphrey's too...i walked out of their All Good set halfway through the first song

and obviously, the GD and other dead projects are leaps and bounds above the rest...i drive very far and even fly by myself to catch a dead related show...there is something spiritual to it...not to say Jerry is God or this is my religion, but the Dead's music puts me at ease and nothing can replicate that feeling...i just wrote a 7 page non fiction essay on a trip to see DSO for my creative writing class and got an A...its the most important thing other than friends and family in my life
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by doin_that_rag.
mok
Junior Boarder

#77867 2 years, 5 months ago
I personally think most of it is scenester crap, i.e. getting into a set of rules/clan tastes instead of just letting music be music. I love the southern funky energy that Widespread Panic brings and think their work with the Dirty Dozen Brass Band was epic. I don't really get in to String Cheese as they are missing a certain bluesy feeling that I like, but a lot of people whose taste I respect do like them, so ce la vie. Phish is a little hot and cold for me but I feel like Trey Anastasio is trying to make interesting music throughout his career.
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

#77868 2 years, 5 months ago
doin_that_rag wrote:
i just wrote a 7 page non fiction essay on a trip to see DSO for my creative writing class and got an A...

Maybe you can post that sometime. I'd be interested in reading it.
funky420
Platinum Boarder
If you stumble, make it part of the dance.

#77872 2 years, 5 months ago
Phish- Great musicians but can't stand their fan base so I will never go see them again first and last time I saw them was '96. Their fans ruin their music for me.

SCI/WSP -I have never seen but would be more than willing to give them a shot and hava heard good things about both.
The voices tell me what to say
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#77876 2 years, 5 months ago
ShakedownSteve wrote:
doin_that_rag wrote:
i just wrote a 7 page non fiction essay on a trip to see DSO for my creative writing class and got an A...

once I get the final draft all situated, I could possibly send you a link. No offense to anyone intended, just being that its not copyrighted or anything I am skeptical of putting my original work on the internet where it may fall into the wrong hands
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
ShakedownSteve
Senior Boarder
Don't Harsh My Mellow

#77878 2 years, 5 months ago
That's right, you wouldn't want it to end up on sexstoriespost.com
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

#77879 2 years, 5 months ago
Seen Phish twice, not really into their music, doesn't do anything for me, SCI liked when I first heard em about ten or so years ago, but now they're music sounds alike to me almost elevator music in a sense. I do like Panic, would love to see them acoustic at the start of next year, but the travel is too far for me.
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

#77880 2 years, 5 months ago
doin_that_rag wrote:
ShakedownSteve wrote:
doin_that_rag wrote:

once I get the final draft all situated, I could possibly send you a link. No offense to anyone intended, just being that its not copyrighted or anything I am skeptical of putting my original work on the internet where it may fall into the wrong hands

i could add crayon drawings for illustrations.
The following user(s) said Thank You: doin_that_rag
Time to create page: 0.59 seconds