• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
njt1rider
Junior Boarder

Re: Hostels?

#78512 2 years, 8 months ago
70$ for a hostel? That sounds like hotel prices. I wasn't familiar with the whole hostel thing until I moved to Germany but I know I've enjoyed many a hostel for just over 10 euros (about 15$) a night. Maybe because its NYC but 70$??? You may be better off finding some heads and splitting a hotel room...but nothing beats the hostel experience...can get pretty interesting...
GreatestStoryEverTold
Expert Boarder

#78533 2 years, 8 months ago
njt1rider wrote:
70$ for a hostel? That sounds like hotel prices. I wasn't familiar with the whole hostel thing until I moved to Germany but I know I've enjoyed many a hostel for just over 10 euros (about 15$) a night. Maybe because its NYC but 70$??? You may be better off finding some heads and splitting a hotel room...but nothing beats the hostel experience...can get pretty interesting...

mbye it was a tad bit cheaper but it was nyc and its really hard to find a hotel when bands are in town. When furthur did the MSG run last year it was impossible to get a room close to the show anywhere near the venue for anything that isint $500 a night. NYC prices suck
njt1rider
Junior Boarder

#78950 2 years, 8 months ago
500 a night!? maybe I just dont stay in the nice hotels. I am also ashamed to say that Im very unfamiliar with NYC even though Im from NJ (only been to NYC once...)
Strider1
Platinum Boarder
PMA - Positive Mental Attitude

#78952 2 years, 8 months ago
njt1rider wrote:

I here you.

Have done Hostels in London and Amsterdam.

Very colorful nights, and interesting experiences every time!
Takin' it in stride!
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#78959 2 years, 8 months ago
jaredlang wrote:
I think 70$ for a bed is alot, even in NYC. If youre 2 or 3 people, you can get a much better deal on a semi-nice hotel.
last year me and my gf were in NYC 2x to see Furthur, and both times we stayed near the Queensborough bridge. Never paid more than $90 a night (and we were 2 people). We had a car, so getting to the shows, or to the subway wasn't an issue, but I can see how it might be convenient for some to stay in Manhattan.
that area is/was a notorius area for crack and hookers be careful they are building more hotel there maybe they cracked down havent been there in a few years
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
jaredlang
Platinum Boarder

#78967 2 years, 8 months ago
It didn't look like the nicest of areas, especially at night, but walking to and from the Subway, even late at night after the shows, was not an issue at all. I find many areas in or around NYC look shady at night, but looks can be deceiving.
Just my luck, next time I stay in that area I will get mugged, just wait and see.
Standing on the moon with nothing left to do
A lovely view of heaven but I'd rather be with you
bitzer87
Junior Boarder

#78968 2 years, 8 months ago
GreatestStoryEverTold wrote:
bitzer87 wrote:
Never stayed at a hostel but went to a hostel bar once in Germany. Had a grilled cheese sandwich at 4am and a beer. Was a pretty wild hostel. Haven't had the chance to stay at one yet.

well its not like the movie hostel

I've always wanted to stay at one but when I'm traveling with friends or family they never want to. I think it might be because of that movie. Both movies were pretty good but hasn't scared me away from them.
brokenarrow
Gold Boarder

#80391 2 years, 8 months ago
Found one on 87th street Amsterdam ave. 2 nights $70 . Probably want spend but 6 hours there just to rest my bones. Hopefully no bedbugs.
GOOD LOVE
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#80501 2 years, 8 months ago
i have stayed in hostels out here on the west coast, and have nuthin but good xperiences. i recomend the green tortotis is they have one there. they have much cheaper rates if you just stay in a dorm style room, but you have less privacy. i think i paid like 20 bucks a night for sleeping in a room with 4 cute french grrls. not bad. oh and you usually need to rent a locker to store your stuff, and possibly a key deposit thats refunded.
hostels are good time, and you get to meet alot of europeans that are over here on holiday.
killwhyT
Senior Boarder

#80509 2 years, 8 months ago
I've stayed at dozens of hostels all over the world over the last 21 years. They can be hit and miss but they are the best places to meet people, especially the felines. I stayed at a place just off times square last year for the Furthur shows at MSG and my only suggestion is read the other travelller ratings before booking. If you are going to MSG you want to stay in the midtown area. $70 sounds like a private room price to me ( no bathrooom?).
Time to create page: 0.49 seconds