• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

Greatest (ticket) Story Ever Told 10-29-80 RCMH

#77461 2 years, 9 months ago
So it was fall of 1980 and I had just come off a couple of extraordinary shows (9-2-80 Rochester, 9-6-80 Lewiston) and the Radio City shows were announced. Now this was one tough ticket, however a friends father went through a broker and got us tickets and they mailed them to us. The problem was they didn't arrive and we were in Vermont. We were die-hard so a plan was devised, we had the tix broker write a letter to the head usher at Radio City and we got on the road. We get to the venue and present the letter with the seat numbers and the guy says wait here, he comes back and says welcome to RCMH and as we walk in we hear Jerry's beautiful acoustic notes floating through the hall. Great show and after driving back to VT the tickets were in our mailbox.

10-29-80 Radio City Music Hall, New York, N.Y. (Wed)
Acoustic: Dire Wolf, On The Road Again, Roses, Race Is On, Bird Song, Heaven Help The Fool, Ain't No Lie> Ripple
Electric-1: Stranger> Franklin's, Me & My Uncle> Big River, Candyman> Rooster, Tennessee Jed, L. L. Rain, Althea> Music
Electric-2: China Cat> I Know You Rider> Estimated> Terrapin> Drumz> Wheel> Saint> Black Peter> Sugar Magnolia E: U. S. Blues
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
The following user(s) said Thank You: Walk in the Sunshine
brokenarrow
Gold Boarder

Re: Greatest (ticket) Story Ever Told 10-29-80 RCMH

#77463 2 years, 9 months ago
I have one of my own. LA Sports arena Dec. 94 . Traded a ticket for some Humboldts finest. Get inside to our seats and this kid sits down beside us and we asked him about the ticket and he told us it was his first show and someone miracled him the ticket and we told him we gave that ticket up for some bud. So we preceded to smoke the bud with him and by the end of the show he had busted a glow stick apart and rubbed it all over himself. I can still remember what he looked like.
GOOD LOVE
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#77532 2 years, 9 months ago
I've told this story before on the forum, but I think it's a good one. During the incredible Summer Tour of 1985, I was traveling with 5 friends through Kansas in the middle of the night following the 9/3 show at the Starlite in Kansas City. We were headed for the three day run at Red Rocks, 9/5,6 and 7. The only problem was that none of us had any tickets to these very sold out shows. We stopped somewhere at a rest stop to sleep and there were hundreds of Heads sleeping all over the grassy area and in their cars. When we woke up in the morning someone told us that additional tickets would be going on sale at 10am at ticket outlets in Denver. This was way before the days of the internet. We showed up at a sporting goods store that had a ticket outlet at about 9:30 and there were a couple of other Heads in line that had heard the same rumor. Sure enough, 10 o'clock rolled around and the ticket person sold us each tickets to all three "sold out" shows. We were really lucky, because there were hundreds if not thousands of people looking for tickets at those shows.
Without love day to day insanity's king
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

#77842 2 years, 9 months ago
One of the great things about Furthur is you don't need tickets in advance for most shows. you don't see Phil doing public service anouncements saying "if you don't have tickets stay home". But to get in without tickests legit would never happen now.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
i_be_sublime
Expert Boarder
R.I.P.JERRY

#78165 2 years, 9 months ago
Well i climbed thru the hole in the fence @ the mann center this summer that count?
i_be_sublime
Expert Boarder
R.I.P.JERRY

#78166 2 years, 9 months ago
Yeah i know not so LEGIT
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#78463 2 years, 9 months ago
last summer july 5th, i wake up any normal day it is about 9 AM i heat up the vaporizer, nothing to do, had off from work for a little bit for some shows...i am browsing on philzone and i am reading a thread about the canceled show from shelburne VT. it's going down that day (was announced 1 week prior, tix on sale couple days after that and sold out) in stroudsburg, PA. i checked ticketbastard incase of any re-releases. nothing. i wasn't too upset but then i clicked the link accidentally for the venue it was at, the sherman theater. i started reading about it's history, and it's 1,800 person capacity (yipes!!) i started feeling more and more bummed out i wasn't going. it is probably close to 10 am at this point, and i notice the number for the venue on the website. on a complete whim i dial it up, and i ask the kind woman who answered if they had re-released any tickets. she says "honey we re-released 100 tickets about an hour ago, i've got 2 left" i kindly requested one, and told her to make someone elses day. i was so freaking happy. i remember i hopped in the shower, finished the vape and hit the road, a 6 hour ride to stroudsburg from buffalo ny. this was still before i was using a GPS and i took this strange (but quicker) alternate route to the southern tier expressway (86/17) from 390 and around the darien lake area. when i approached interstate 80 in PA i was slapped with holiday traffic and lane closures. time was starting to get a little grim. i had a 6 pack i began to have a couple, i finally got there. really no time to spare i get out slam the rest of the beers i walk into the show, locked and loaded with a pinch of sassafrass, band walks out as i walk in the place was tiny packed to the gills. was 90 something degrees outside, 100 something inside they killed it, the only complaint were vocals on promised land. this stands as perhaps my favorite furthur show out of 85 i've attended, and the recordings back up the added ticket/transportation adventure. i'll never forget phil was visibly disgusted in the heat. wearing a white undershirt and wiping his face with a huge towel as often as possible. i drove back to my parents house where i had recently moved back in at the time. the next morning i brought down a basket of laundry containing those clothes my mother touched the clothes and asked if i got caught in a rainstorm the night before. they were SOPPING wet with sweat, other peoples, sweat, and whatever else was in the air that night..

www.archive.org/details/furthur2010-07-0...suraci.108828.flac16

there is a soundboard available if you click "check for other copies" but this is one where you need that crowd noise to understand
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Time to create page: 0.47 seconds