• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

Re: Why doesn't Grateful Dead get back together?

#8114 3 years, 3 months ago
The drums/space was always a classic part of the Deads sets, and I don't think I've heard 2 versions that were predictably close to each other.....

I don't think Furthur should do it every show like the GD did but I think it would be sweet if they would do drums/space every once in a while and I mean besides the Drums going into King Solomon's Marbles......It'd be cool if they mixed it up with drums going into other songs as well....
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#8122 3 years, 3 months ago
to each his own i would wander the halls take care of buisness etc found it to predictable everynight
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Tom Banjo
Visitor

#8133 3 years, 3 months ago
I am glad I posted the question because I have always wondered about it...mainly about why Kretuzman and Hart are off on their own...I was wondering if anyone knew if something happened that I was unaware of. But to respond to what some of you have posted, let me first prelude it with this: I don't imagine the name The Grateful Dead ever being a real thing anymore, but I am a nostalgic person loving today but also missing the old days. So the question was and is a rhetorical one. I hope it never approaches what it did with Pink Floyd where everyone began asking, who IS Pink? Who has the legal rights to play under such a name?

Anyway, in the past, many bands have disbanded only to come back later to give rock and roll another try or for some special reunion. In that case, a reunion would be the craziest thing in this case.

As for the money, hey if they got back together, under the name The Grateful Dead, I think they would stand a good chance at selling out to huge stadiums. I remember getting my NY Furthur tickets recently from ticketmaster. I had three computers on and I was able to get tickets for three shows. They sold out in twenty-five minutes dude. Now I also remember getting Janet Jackson tickets, a little while after that, for my girlfriend's cousin. With the preceding experience in mind, I thought that there was no way I was gonna get a ticket. Well it took over three days for her to sell out her Friday & Saturday shows and over a week to sell out the rest.

As far as drums in concerned - well I guess you all experienced the shows differently than I did, cause I loved drums and I did not stop moving. That's why I wish the Rhythm Devils would play more, they play those drums well. There are still many local bands that play double drums and of course there is DSO who is still doing the double drum thing, and I really like it. Anyway, that time is good for getting another beer or wigging out on the visuals (if you have that in your mind).

Anyway, logistics aside, it is somewhat of a dream idea asked with a note of rhetoric. But a tour or even a single show would be amazing and if done, I think they ought to ask everyone to come back and pack the stage with so much dead talent that we all have to rub our eyes to make sure we aren't suffering hallucinations (I don't really mean suffering). Now do you see why I asked the question? I am a dreamer of grandeur...

...But a reunion at the Vibes would truly excellent, indeed!
(Thanks for all your grate responses, and even the not-so-grate ones!
jodiah
Expert Boarder

#8139 3 years, 3 months ago
I love Furthur too. But, the Dead 2009 Tour had the best Rhythm Devils / Drums I've ever heard. That includes all the shows I've ever been to (first show being '89) and all of the recordings I've ever heard. They were hypnotic, contagious and down right freaky as Mickey incorporated sounds from the cosmos such as quasars and pulsars combined with anti-conservative political messages that were masked in the strange pre-recorded voices that echoed throughout the venues. A good example of this is from the Quincy, WA show www.archive.org/details/dead2009-05-16.s...natecv3.99107.flac16 and Madison Square Garden where they started the second set with Drums>Space>Cryptical>Other One www.archive.org/details/thedead2009-04-2....suraci.sbeok.flac16

And, while I miss drums / space, Mickey and Bill are currently working different projects. So, yes, you take what you can get.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#8173 3 years, 3 months ago
It just goes to show how much I've been paying attention the last few years. My apologies.

God bless Vince.
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
Ramblin_Joe
Junior Boarder

#8184 3 years, 3 months ago
One of Bill K's amazing skills (that many people overlook) is his pure ability to NEVER lose track of the beat, even when he doubles it up and/or skips one.

This "Drums" always stands out in my mind for some reason:

1968.10.10 - Live @ The Matrix
www.archive.org/details/gd68-10-10.sbd.m...dner.4513.sbeok.shnf
thecossack
Fresh Boarder

#8198 3 years, 3 months ago
i always felt like it should end with bobby, phil, mickey, billy, and hunter taking the lead

that is my dream for this
Ramblin_Joe
Junior Boarder

#8201 3 years, 3 months ago
Probably when the Emigrant Savings Bank becomes the Fillmore East again...
Deadhead4Obama
Junior Boarder

#8232 3 years, 3 months ago
It won't ever be the Grateful Dead. That died with jerry. They coudl do another Dead tour, I guess, but thatd mean bigger stadioums, larger crowds and higher ticket prices. I like Furthur because of the smaller crowds, more intimate venues and the decent ticket prices.

Additionally, as its been said, with the Dead 09 tour, Bobby and Phill refell in love with playing with each other. I think if they enjoyed having Billy and Mickey around tehy would be in Furthur. For whatever reason, Bobby and Phil are doing their own thing. I beleive I've heard reports of the dummers and Jill not getting along.

Besides, if you looka t Mickey and Billy's project, they're continuing to move forward and take Dead music in a different light. Fruthur is about Bobby and Phil traveling back to what it was lke in the 60s and 70s. Idealogically, thats way idfferent approaches, which probably means its hard for them to really work together.
Mrs Deviled Egg
Fresh Boarder

#8278 3 years, 3 months ago
I just want JK to play with Phil for as long as the world will allow.... what if Furthur became this band that NEVER ended and no matter what happened, they had plans for the future and the music never stopped because they finally decided to make THIS the ULTIMATE "cover" band (*wink, wink*) started by Phil and Bob to pass the musical torch in a genuine fashion to the next generations....? IF that was the case, I wouldn't mind if the other members ever played together again if they didn't want to because you really can't recreate your own past, but you CAN pass it on directly to ensure that the world never loses what is essential. I don't care what the names are of the people who are playing (of the individuals or the band), I care how they sound and how the musicians as a group interact with the audience as a whole.... I really hope they keep this one going, keeping the music psychedelic, raw and full of love is an honest and vital mission.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme, cpuffe
Tim The Beek
Junior Boarder

#8339 3 years, 3 months ago
"After four months of heartfelt consideration, the remaining members of the band met yesterday and came to the conclusion that the 'long strange trip' of the uniquely wonderful beast known as the Grateful Dead is over."
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme
mandala
Junior Boarder
jerry junkie

#8380 3 years, 3 months ago
>>>beleive I've heard reports of the dummers and Jill not getting along.

and then there was also kimock and who else?

i am totally grateful to jill for turning phil's life around, but there was a reason the grateful dead had a "no old ladies" policy when it came to business and she's proving how wise it was. it doesn't seem we're ever gonna get the truth about what went down between phil and the devils, especially here, but it would sure help things make a lot more sense if it all came out.
life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - j. lennon
Time to create page: 0.57 seconds