• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

St. Croix

#77178 2 years, 10 months ago
My wife is a realtor here on St. Croix. The video below is a demo tape that we made and sent in to the Home & Garden Channel for the House Hunter's International show. They liked the video and have since come down and filmed two episodes of the show with my wife as the realtor. I am also in the latest episode. We live in the house in this video below which is one of my wife's listings. If anyone ever plans a trip to St. Croix let me know and we'll show you around the island.

devtmm
Junior Boarder

Re: St. Croix

#77190 2 years, 10 months ago
Nice work! I often contemplate the idea of moving to the USVI. From your experience, how do people make a living there? Do they go there with money? Work on the island? Commute? Work Remotely? Also...how are the taxes and schools?
Strider1
Platinum Boarder
PMA - Positive Mental Attitude

#77195 2 years, 10 months ago
Congrats on the score.
Great exposure and free advertising for her!

I rented a house on St John in 2010.
Beautiful island and 60% of it is a national park.

From what I understand, St Croix is larger, much cheaper, with more businesses/industries (refineries).
I assume its easier to make a living on St Croix than St. John, but I don't know how well it works for non-natives that re-locate there. Any discrimination from the natives on Yanks that move there? I know it's a US territory but, like Hawaii, there is a distinct "local" population that is different than most of the other states.
Takin' it in stride!
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by Strider1.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#77198 2 years, 10 months ago
That's so cool, IH!! I watch that show all the time, be sure to give us a heads up when the episodes are going to air. That's a beautiful home you're in now, too!
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#77200 2 years, 10 months ago
You are correct, St. Croix is the largest of the 3 US Virgin Islands and we have an oil refinery and 2 rum distilleries here. I worked as a chef for 10 years and then went to work for a ship chandler before starting my own company with my friend. Here is a link to our web site. www.spenceroceanservices.com

The taxes are very low here but food and electricity are expensive. It is a great place to come for a winter working in the resturant industry but be warned, you may never leave!
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#77236 2 years, 10 months ago
SunshineSue wrote:
That's so cool, IH!! I watch that show all the time, be sure to give us a heads up when the episodes are going to air. That's a beautiful home you're in now, too!

The house is beautiful but it is a lot to maintain. It is located right in the town of Christiansted so we can walk to the Boardwalk where all the resturants and bars are located. Also I know some of you have bands & I can help you set up gigs here and so you can bring your band down to play. My friend Greg's band Gent Treadly from New York has played here twice over the years and is planning a trip again this winter. The link below has more pics.

gt_stcroix.jpg

www.gent-treadly.com/photos.html
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#78379 2 years, 9 months ago
If you come to St. Croix be sure you have dinner at Tutto Bene. The owners, Smokey and Kelly are big Heads and were just at the Eugene & Red Rocks shows. After this WINTER tour a trip to the islands might be just what the doctor ordered.

tutto.JPG
iraqistatefair
Platinum Boarder
The wheels are muddy, got a ton of hay

#78429 2 years, 9 months ago
thats awesome !! i love that show !! I also love the reggae band Midnite from St croix. hows the ganja there? legal? not legal? good bud? good luck with your vid
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#92431 2 years, 9 months ago
SunshineSue wrote:

The show will be airing this Friday on HGTV. I am only in it for a few second on my boat.

Virgin Island Paradise Episode

December 02, 2011

8:30 PM e/p

December 02, 2011

3:30 AM e/p

About the show:

Doug and Lindy Freeman had the dream of moving to St. Croix for many years. They were making a decent living back home in California, but are quick to disclose that they were not rewarding themselves for the hard work they were doing. They saved everything they could and cut back as much as possible. Finally, with saving and living "way below our means," they were able to move to St. Croix. They sold everything they owned and are now renting a home on the island. The Freemans now want to buy a single family home with a guest cottage or apartment so that their friends and family have a place to stay when they visit. They also want this guest space ready for an expansion as the kids get older and need more room to grow. They hope realtor Ness Fennessey can deliver. Only problem is, Doug wants to pay cash and even though the family has saved up, the Freeman's still don't have enough in the budget for everything they want in their island paradise.
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#92870 2 years, 8 months ago
^^^^^ Don't forget to watch the show tomorrow night!
Time to create page: 0.49 seconds