• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
jodiah
Expert Boarder

Re: Does anyone invest in stocks?

#77437 2 years, 11 months ago
Like others here, I have some from former jobs. I'm no expert, so I don't touch them a whole lot since it's a bit like gambling. However, Apple has always been good to me. I personally prefer collector's items that continue to increase in value. For example, I'm really glad I bought all those Limited Edition Grateful Dead Coins and Comic Books after seeing what they are going for online. Plus, with stocks you really have to do some investigating to make sure you're not supporting something unethical. I personally would prefer to have good karma than an unethical portfolio.
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by jodiah.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#77439 2 years, 11 months ago
there are some mutual funds that are setup like that no defense contractors ,alcohol etc.i would stay away from mutual funds tho they eat up your nest egg with fees my union pension gets horrrible returns while i constantly beat them yield wise.every stock has a webpage you can/should read up on the company and know everything about them and the companies in that sectorthe key is do the homework/research
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
formerly FLJen
Junior Boarder

#77560 2 years, 11 months ago
Just watching for now.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#78133 2 years, 11 months ago
83msg1sttyme wrote:
there are some mutual funds that are setup like that no defense contractors ,alcohol etc.i would stay away from mutual funds tho they eat up your nest egg with fees my union pension gets horrrible returns while i constantly beat them yield wise.every stock has a webpage you can/should read up on the company and know everything about them and the companies in that sectorthe key is do the homework/research

Now that there are ETF's (exchange traded funds) you can mirror the returns of just about anything with much less fees than a mutual fund. For example SPY tracks the S&P 500, SH will do exactly opposite of SPY. I actually bought a bit of SH when my co-worker bragged last week how great the market is. That strategy has worked like a charm for me lately.

It's a dangerous market out there, especially lately. IMO be careful with buy and hold. Diversification - with some bond exposure and cash is an absolute must. High dividend paying stocks are also they way to go (IMO and also per Cramer).

As 88MSG sad, Cramer is entertaining. But be careful following him for numerous reasons. As 88 said you must do your own due dilligence, even if it's just doing a lot of reading. I would suggest staying away from yahoo finance. Ok to skim but lots of people there trying to trick you, good old pump and dump.

One great resource is stocktwits.com . Some very smart guys, very technical traders.

If anyone is interested, I know some good traders to follow. Just pm me. Also if anyone has any suggestions for things they really believe in I'd love to know.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#78144 2 years, 11 months ago
yahoo is fine just avoid the message boards i dont take stock tips from anyone even cramer i use the boards to get real infonot opinion etf's are okay i dont use them as i prefrer to buy best of breed and buy and hold is anold strategy that isnt applicable is this day and age.i like the MLPs for big "dividends" which have specialtax treatment bonds are safe but have almost no return(aside from some taxbenifits) better off with CDs also no big return.heres a site that will help with the "homework" www.stockhomework101.com/160.htm also look at investors buisness daily
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by 83msg1sttyme.
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds