• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
we gonna stay here til we soothe our souls

Re: Official REcording Methods Dead Shows late 80-90s

#76792 2 years, 6 months ago
in the late 80's Healy started recording shows on vhs tape (2 tracks in stereo) from the sbd mix along side of the video
healy would also mix crowd sounds into the mix making ultra-matrix tapes
Slewfoot
Junior Boarder

#76798 2 years, 6 months ago
In the late 80's the band was recording on Alesis ADAT's - which allowed up to 8 tracks on one Super VHS tape. I remember watching Howard Danchek swap tapes after sets... I think they must have recorded 24 tracks, possibly more at each show. As you mentioned, Healy was also providing a stereo mix usually with a pair of audience mics blended in - the so called Matrix Mix. Plus, there was also the availability to plug a stereo DAT or cassette deck and get a stereo mix to go. I'll never forget my first (and only) board patch, twas pretty amazing to walk out with those tapes...
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by Slewfoot.
GreatestStoryEverTold
Expert Boarder

#76831 2 years, 6 months ago
the highway terror wrote:
in the late 80's Healy started recording shows on vhs tape (2 tracks in stereo) from the sbd mix along side of the video
healy would also mix crowd sounds into the mix making ultra-matrix tapes

maybe that's what those expression pedals were under the soundboard. check out this pic.

There are a bunch of pedals under the board. Maybe some are for effects on the vocals too. anyone know what these were used for. Never seen a setup that has pedals under the board, now that's what I call mixing.

edit: that image was not exactly what I wanted so here is a link to the page. The picture I'm talking about is bottom left.

dozin.com/danhealy/house.htm
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by GreatestStoryEverTold.
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#77343 2 years, 5 months ago
You know, I never noticed the pedals in that pic. I wonder....

My brother and I were talking about musicians with none of the usual stage toys on stage, meaning someone off stage was paid to punch the sound for each song and the expense for paying someone to do it (ie the dead obviously preferred to dial in their own sound, which is a good thing). but maybe Healy was responsible for certain sounds for, say, Jerry, that sounded best post Jerr'y's rig completely? Like coming into a solo? Crescendos that we were debating a month ago? He simply amps up EVERYONE?

I may play guitar, but I have 2 pedals and a 30 watt amp- no loops etc. So this is beyond me. ????
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds