You are so sweet:)

Thanks for the encouragement!
Paige
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

Re: Going Down the Road Feeling Glad...

#77107 2 years, 9 months ago
I agree, this is fascinating info for travelers of all generations and cultures, Paige, I'm really enjoying it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer , rockinbob
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

#77110 2 years, 9 months ago
SunshineSue wrote:
I agree, this is fascinating info for travelers of all generations and cultures, Paige, I'm really enjoying it!

SunshineSue, I am very happy 'bout that:)

Paige
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#77118 2 years, 9 months ago
i think the silk roads were the original internet
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

#77135 2 years, 9 months ago
83msg1sttyme wrote:
i think the silk roads were the original internet

That's a very astute observation..."the internet of antiquity"
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme
Paige MoonDancer
Senior Boarder

#77151 2 years, 9 months ago
750px-Niger_saharan_medieval_trade_routes.PNG

The Tuareg controlled these trade routes since ancient times. Women keep their faces uncovered, while the men are veiled. Also known as the "blue men" due to the bluish shade that rubs on the skin (as sun protection) from the indigo used to dye their characteristic blue robes.

Their revered queen Tin Hinan
220px-2_-_La_reine_Tin_Hinan_125x150cm_huile_sur_toile.jpg

300px-Tuareg_1907.jpg

berbercaravan.jpg

theguerdadance.jpg

Tuaregtent.jpg

moderntuaregrockers.jpg

throughthedesert.jpg
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by Paige MoonDancer.
rockinbob
Platinum Boarder

#77162 2 years, 9 months ago
This history and these wonderful pics are really sweet Paige! Thanks a BUNCH for sharing. It brought a smile to my face this morning, wht a way to start a Furthur Friday. Keep up the awesome work and hopefully we will see the bus NYE!
Aint No Time To Hate, Barely Time To Wait.........
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

#77286 2 years, 9 months ago
rockinbob wrote:
This history and these wonderful pics are really sweet Paige! Thanks a BUNCH for sharing. It brought a smile to my face this morning, wht a way to start a Furthur Friday. Keep up the awesome work and hopefully we will see the bus NYE!

Your post brought a smile to my face this morning Rob:)
I really love your positive energy!
We are putting on another coat of primer today:)
I don't have tix yet, but I have a feeling we will be there...
Thanks for the happy thoughts:) Glad you are enjoying this thread and have a fantastic time at your upcoming Furthur shows!

Paige
fourwnds
Senior Boarder

#77380 2 years, 9 months ago
Is that a picture of Tinariwen pmoondancer?! How do you like those guys they came to my neck of the woods but I missed it. From the little I've heard they sound like something I could get into
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

#77402 2 years, 9 months ago
fourwnds wrote:
Is that a picture of Tinariwen pmoondancer?! How do you like those guys they came to my neck of the woods but I missed it. From the little I've heard they sound like something I could get into

Yes, it is...fascinating group of musicians...I would like to see them in person too:)
Paige MoonDancer
Senior Boarder

#77435 2 years, 9 months ago
Indo-Roman routes
440px-Indo-Roman_trade.jpg

250px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_135-S-04-02-18_Tibetexpedition_Landschaftsaufnahme_mit_Karawane.jpg

ancientkamboja.jpg

banjaralambadidance.jpg

lambadadance.jpg

bajaragypies.jpg

Aruna-Irani.jpg

250px-Rajasthani_Painting.jpg

90px-WLA_lacma_Celestial_Nymph_ca_1450_Rajasthan.jpg

vedicindia.jpg

Friday, February 5, 2010
THE BANJARA PEOPLE

Banjaras, also called Lambadis or Lamanis, originated centuries ago in the Johdpur and Jaisalmer desert areas of Rajasthan. Today they live and migrate throughout the length & breadth of India which makes their exact count difficult: it is estimated between 3 and 20 millions people (!).

Banjaras are basically nomads who raise and herd animals. They earn their living by selling goods and services to surrounding mainstream populations. In the process, they have developed complex traditional sets of adaptive mechanisms to live in peace with their neighbours and customers.

But at all times, they keep their own language, religion and ethical code. This mysterious duality and intriguing separateness is a most integral part of their being. It is also what makes them frighteningly different to urban Indians and have earned them the categorization as a “criminal” tribe by the British and accusations of all manners of atrocities: thievery, kidnapping, murder and witchcraft.

They are also described by the same as hardworking, ingenious, powerful, self-assured and honourable.

One thing all Banjaras have in common: they work hard in activities that are usually lucrative and migrate where work is available.

Their second common feature is that no matter their level of education, they manage to meet with their social obligations to the community, be it rites of passage and festivals and to maintain their separate identity.

They maintain a strong ethnic identity through their strict endogamy. They follow the Rajput system in marrying only with members of the opposite sub castes or clans, known as gotras. Each Banjara therefore can immediately identify the lineage of another Banjara by looking at his waist string that is composed of tassels and lead beads.

They maintain a marked religious identity: Though nationwide Banjaras trace their origin through a complex lineage to the Hindu cow-herding god Krishna and his consort Radha, they are animistic and retain allegiance to local and pan-Banjara heroes, gods and goddesses, pilgrimage sites and rites. They deify ancestors and worship saints and have their own priests, or Bhagats, and miracle men, or Janyas. They maintain specific shrines dedicated to some of the legendary dogs they use to watch their herds but have included Rama, Hanuman and Ganesh in their tribal pantheon.

They possess a strong linguistic identity: Though they speak regional languages of every part of India, they retain their own that relates to Hindi, Rajasthani, Punjabi or European Rom that is called “Ghormati”, “Lubanki” or “Banjaraboli”.
They also keep their habitat identity by staying away from the mainstream in separate villages called “tanda”.
The Banjaras’ separate identity is best demonstrated by their embroidery aesthetics and related women’s attire.

Though intriguing, the Banjaras’ identity has not been researched by many. Little has been published on it and virtually nothing about their embroidery has been disseminated.
Posted by Badshah Naik

85px-Bani_Thani_painting_2011-10-28.jpg

120px-Thar_Khuri_2011-10-28.jpg

95px-Meerabai_painting_2011-10-28.jpg
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by Paige MoonDancer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, SunshineSue
Time to create page: 0.90 seconds