• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

Re: security at shows

#74745 2 years, 6 months ago
I'm always as nice as I can be but after a few close calls (not all Furthur shows) I usually don't stash stuff in my pockets anymore
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

#74746 2 years, 6 months ago
I never carry anything in besides bud which is usually not an issue at least in the states I choose to see shows
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
The following user(s) said Thank You: iamthedoor
ScarletFire
Junior Boarder

#74754 2 years, 6 months ago
I always try to be respectful of local uniformed security. I have never had any problems except one night at the UIC Pavilion when I was felt up by a guy at the pat down station like I was his boyfriend. That was a bit much.
gr8fuljen
Expert Boarder

#74757 2 years, 6 months ago
WITS always takes care of security prior to the show starting...
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

#74760 2 years, 6 months ago
I always make sure to thank the staff when I exit and when I see the guys pickin up trash after all of us "eco-friendly' heads. They are usually shocked when I actually look them in the eye and thank them and most of them are really appreciative. As for gettin through the gates i usually hang back and check out what the search process is, which line is more agro. At Shoreline there were a couple security guards at the entrance who were taking their job a little to seriously, the show had already started and they were taking their sweet ass time, I just spotted a cool little lady who wasn't patting down too much and cruised through with a quickness. I like places like the Greek or Furthur Fest where you can just go in and have a buddy slip a back pack with goodies over the fence.
When I saw Phish at Hollywood Bowl a couple months back this one dude came up an started messin with us about smoking and said he needed to take our pipe, it scared the shit outta my buddy but we already handed the buds and pipe down the line so we didn't have anything, he fucked with us for like five minutes before finally saying he was just messing with us an didn't care bout it, kinda lame but coulda been worse.
Warrior for Peace and The Positive Movement!
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#74767 2 years, 6 months ago
I'll elaborate on Jens comment. The FIRST thing I do when arriving at a show is striking up a conversation with the closest security personnel ( again I'm talkin inside the show not outside). 99.99% of them are just locals trying to get a paycheck and as someone once said "kill them with kindness". Once you introduce yourself and they know who you are and you're not a dick (well that part is debatable) you'd be surprised what can happen. I'll give a few examples:

1. People used to always bitch about security at the Electric Factory in Philly and they did do a super tough pat down. At one of the first Ratdog shows there I struck up a concversation with a very large black dude who was workin security. Anyway I'm on the first floor on the fence sepaerated the lower bar from the main floor. I see a couple people get busted around me (not by him). Anyone I'm gettin down and fire one up. Out of nowhere a tap on my shoulder.. its him and he says keep it low and pass me that shit... this guy worked there every show for years.. we became like old budides..he watched my back and I partied freely and shared.

2. Nissan Pavillion- I'll try to be short. The biggesgt NAzi state in America outside. Ratdog ( with Kimock) & Allman Brothers ..Jen had somehow (she's lucky) gotten us front row dead center in front of Kimock. I chatted up the security guy between us and the stage before the show. FF The show is goin on and I need a beer refill. Not thinking (hard to believe huh) I bolt to try to get back as quickly as possible. I didn't realize I had both of our tickets on me. Of course while I'm gone security came and is sweeping through the front row tossing those who shouldn't be there. They get to Jen and are gettin in her face tellin her she has to leave. The security guy I chatted up on the other side of the fence sees the commotion and comes over and says leave her alone that is her seat. Thank god for me this could have really sucked.

3. Last but not least my fave. I am at the Beacon for Ratdog flyin solo for night one in 06. I'm about 20th row on the right aisle. Again preshow chat up the security guy. ABout 3 songs in he makes his way back to me and says "Can I getg a hit?" HAHAHAH of course. So we finish he goes to walk back up to the 5th row or so and say cmon. So here I am in the 5th row aisle with the security dude. A bunch of crashers kept coming down the aisle...& I end up BEING security helpin this guy toss the riff raff. Man it was so much fun and we eventually ended up practically leanin on the stage rockin out.

The moral of these stores is make security your friend. You might be surprised how things work out.
ScarletFire
Junior Boarder

#74769 2 years, 6 months ago
2. Nissan Pavillion- I'll try to be short. The biggesgt NAzi state in America outside.

^^ This.
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by ScarletFire.
bluetrainsugaree
Expert Boarder

#74806 2 years, 6 months ago
There has been some talk about the Greeks getting real tough on people lately. So much that it steers me away to only want to attend other West Coast shows. Anyone have any 1st hand experience with this venue?
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#74823 2 years, 6 months ago
bluetrainsugaree wrote:
There has been some talk about the Greeks getting real tough on people lately. So much that it steers me away to only want to attend other West Coast shows. Anyone have any 1st hand experience with this venue?

i had the most positive experiences at the greek this time around, both nights...first night i had a pit ticket they took my stub (i collect) and weren't around to give it back to me like they said they would, but ill get ot that in a second...so that 1st night the pit was too packed i just started dancing in the huge aisle on phils side of section A...i was the only one there spinning and jumping around and eventually a few other pretty ladies decided to join the fun..had that whole area, sound was fine (bass heavy just how i like it)..not one complaint from security below, above, or even the ones transporting beer/water/wine up the aisle the entire night, we had an unspoken mutual agreement i would dance around them and not get in their way

2nd night i did the same thing, many more people were there this night, but it was a lot of fun, all the room in the world to get down...at one point i looked above me at this rail and there is strider raging it, hilarious...back to the ticket stub, this night before the show i asked if i could get mine back from the previous night they kept saying come back later but the lady seemed genuine so after the show they had it for me

they were totally cool about openly burning, no pat down getting in either night...i had more fun here this year than last year
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Strider1, bluetrainsugaree
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#74833 2 years, 6 months ago
Here's me and security at BGCC. I always get along with them especially here in Ca. I've never had issues with them. If its a show tears not GA I usually get friendly to where I can go from my seat to the floor.

photo-9.JPG
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
Time to create page: 0.52 seconds