• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

paul mccartney on beatles covers

#74500 2 years, 5 months ago
somewhat recently there was a thread wondering what paul would think of furthur doing all of the beatles covers, most notably the abbey road tour of spring 2011...i came across this as i was looking through all the mail i missed on tour..this is not direct about furthurs covers, but i am sure they are included with his ending statement

in a recent rolling stone interview with paul mccartney by austin scaggs, scaggs mentions his favorite beatles cover is aretha franklin's "eleanor rigby", paul says he likes the ER ray charles did as well, but then says "but they're all good to me. people say, 'you must be cringing when you hear that watered-down steam-organ version of 'good day sunshine'!' but i love it-are you kidding?"

to me it seems like he loves it that people are playing the music him and his band have created. he seems honored by it. and i think to have legends like phil lesh and bob weir spearheading some of that material makes him happy. some folks didn't think he was even aware of it...bullshit.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: otherone78, funky420, SunshineSue
RandyHoe
Fresh Boarder

Re: paul mccartney on beatles covers

#74531 2 years, 5 months ago
How could Paul be pissed when Bob & Phill play his and John's music better than they ever could? To close the first set of the first show of the 2010 Summer Tour, Furthur melted my face off with Strawberry Fields. It was my baby brother's first Furthur show and I will never forget his elation at hearing a song that he knew so well played so masterfully.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#74541 2 years, 5 months ago
Paul just never struck me as the kind of guy that would resent other people playing his music. I think he does delight in it, especially when it's done well. Though I'm not sure it's ever really done better than the originals.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#74727 2 years, 5 months ago
How could it be better than the originals? Those guys wrote the book.

I've seen Paul quite a few times. The wife and I are massive Beatles freaks. He always seems genuinely touched when people respond to the Beatles songs -- particu;larly the more obscure ones like I Will and I've Got A Feeling.

Funny to come across this thread. Just last night i was listening to Furthur's very tasty version of Come Together from the Reading show last year.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
deadontherivet
Expert Boarder

#75289 2 years, 5 months ago
lol I just ran across this thread while lisyening to NPR. They are interviewing William Shatner, and playing his cover of Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds. Rocketman is next. lol
I wish I was the headlight on a northbound train.
otherone78
Junior Boarder
first Furthur show: 2/19/10

#75296 2 years, 5 months ago
I wont be happy until Furthur pulls out Helter Skelter!
The following user(s) said Thank You: deadontherivet
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#75489 2 years, 5 months ago
I could see Bobby pulling that off.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Time to create page: 0.92 seconds