• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

Re: Peggy-O from Greek Theater

#74970 2 years, 11 months ago
iraqistatefair wrote:
If john wants to explore....he can go right ahead and do so...does he need a wave from Phil or bobbylike...go ahead its your turn, then he signals Jeff its your turn? Thats not how the dead operate. And to furthur my point...Jerry plays solos all over songs like Picasso Moon and Hell in a Bucket without anyones permission or a rule book. Gimme a break.....the guy needs to just attack the song and paint his canvas when appropriate. "Let" him explore?...ha! Like give him a hall pass ? stop making me laugh. If he aint got the guts to what he wants....give me another guitarist that will have more confidence....PERIOD!!!!

I'm sorry by in the GD, while they didn't use points, they certainly did nod to each other or communicate where or who or what. It's not a permission thing, it's a feel thing. And usually the osngs were pretty set in stone so there was almost always specific places where the solo occurred. The only real change up was how many times they'd do the bars (ie if jerry had a lot to say or maybe felt his solo didn't say enough, or felt "that was ll that was needed").

So I think your cirticism of John, that they need a guitarist with more confidence, is completely off the mark. Any guitar player in furthur will have to expect to know his solo, how many bars said solo should be, or if he wants more or less, to look at Phil or Bob and give a "is it ok if I....." look and see what they want. It's Bob/Phil's band. To think otherwise, to me, is simpy wrong.

This aint the dead. It's Phil Lesh and Bob Weir's band, Furthur.
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

Re: Peggy-O from Greek Theater

#74971 2 years, 11 months ago
taper.tsquare wrote:
iraqistatefair wrote:
If john wants to explore....he can go right ahead and do so...does he need a wave from Phil or bobbylike...go ahead its your turn, then he signals Jeff its your turn? Thats not how the dead operate. And to furthur my point...Jerry plays solos all over songs like Picasso Moon and Hell in a Bucket without anyones permission or a rule book. Gimme a break.....the guy needs to just attack the song and paint his canvas when appropriate. "Let" him explore?...ha! Like give him a hall pass ? stop making me laugh. If he aint got the guts to what he wants....give me another guitarist that will have more confidence....PERIOD!!!!

no disrespect to the JK fans, but this ain't the good ol' Grateful Dead and JK is not Jerry Garcia. i like JK quite a bit and think he does a very good job, but he is definitely on a leash and absolutely needs permission from Phil and Bobby with regard to vocals. as for guitar solos i think he has a lot more freedom to stretch out and seems to have plenty of confidence from my perspective.

I agree in part- I am def a JK fan and when I had a chance to approach him in Atlanta that first "winter tour" after the show, I told him that the moment I learned he was the lead guitarist, this would be a special band and because of his addition, and what he adds to this band, I'm touring again, something I haven't done since 1995. That was nearly 1.5 years ago and I'm still touring!!!!!
Time to create page: 0.16 seconds